The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
May 23, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #2,446 of 5,761
89406606-D66A-4E2B-B4F4-94FF80A87D26.jpeg

The MDR-Z7 is such an amazing experience, using the TA, Cradle and Kimber. I can’t imagine these sounding much better?

May 25, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #2,447 of 5,761
What cable (or cables?) is it that is used to plug the WM1A into the TA-ZH1ES?
Also, my guess is the TA needs to be plugged straight into the wall, and not into an extension cord/surge protector, correct?
thanks.

May 25, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #2,448 of 5,761
What cable (or cables?) is it that is used to plug the WM1A into the TA-ZH1ES?
Also, my guess is the TA needs to be plugged straight into the wall, and not into an extension cord/surge protector, correct?
thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE

https://www.amazon.com/Walkman-Cradle-BCR-NWH10-NW-ZX2-Japan/dp/B00S94R5RK

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Carbon-USB-B-Plug-0-75m/dp/B0041EH0WW

TA comes with a side connection mini USB. Though the sonic upgrade is the rear USB adapter. The third and final best is the Cradle with the AQCarbon USB. Probably best to get the shortest USB possible.

The Cradle allows charging as well as reclocking and noise USB filters, and has a switch so you can choose to use your computer or Walkman as a digital transport for the TA.
Cheers.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #2,449 of 5,761
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE

https://www.amazon.com/Walkman-Cradle-BCR-NWH10-NW-ZX2-Japan/dp/B00S94R5RK

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Carbon-USB-B-Plug-0-75m/dp/B0041EH0WW

TA comes with a side connection mini USB. Though the sonic upgrade is the rear USB adapter. The third and final best is the Cradle with the AQCarbon USB. Probably best to get the shortest USB possible.

The Cradle allows charging as well as reclocking and noise USB filters, and has a switch so you can choose to use your computer or Walkman as a digital transport for the TA.
Cheers.
Would you happen to have a link to that sonic upgrade "rear USB adapter?"

May 28, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #2,450 of 5,761
Don't know how many use TA line out, but I now have mine going to an ALO Pan Am for a tube option and it works great. Still strange to me that TA hasn't been a bigger hit as a DAC.
I have the TA line out connected to the power amp section of my Gryphon integrated amp in the speakers system. Gryphon amp has function to by-pass the pre-amp section so i just using the volume control of TA. I also connected the optical output of the CD player to TA, and playing redbook CD with DSD Remastering. The sound is pretty good. I am also have AK240 (using AudioQuest Carbon USB) connected to TA, now have the joy of listening to all my hi-res and DSD albums with the speakers system every night. 😊

May 28, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #2,451 of 5,761
I have the TA line out connected to the power amp section of my Gryphon integrated amp in the speakers system. Gryphon amp has function to by-pass the pre-amp section so i just using the volume control of TA. I also connected the optical output of the CD player to TA, and playing redbook CD with DSD Remastering. The sound is pretty good. I am also have AK240 (using AudioQuest Carbon USB) connected to TA, now have the joy of listening to all my hi-res and DSD albums with the speakers system every night. 😊
Is it the Gryphon Diablo 300 that you're using?

May 28, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #2,452 of 5,761
Is it the Gryphon Diablo 300 that you're using?
I am still using the previous model Callisto 2200, it still functions very well so no intention to change.

May 28, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,453 of 5,761
so, if the TA doesn't play MQA files, does that mean that they don't play them at all? Is there just silence if you try and play one through it? Or does it mean that it doesn't upsample them to DSD quality? and they're still played, but at lower resolution?

May 28, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2,454 of 5,761
so, if the TA doesn't play MQA files, does that mean that they don't play them at all? Is there just silence if you try and play one through it? Or does it mean that it doesn't upsample them to DSD quality? and they're still played, but at lower resolution?

My TA plays mqa files just fine when stored on the internal drive on my Auralic Aries Mini streamer over usb but I assume it is the Auralic that does the unfolding before sending the stream out over usb so it probably depends on your source. However any mqa file will play on any device but only at full resolution if the player is mqa certified just like HDCD discs could be played by any cd player but only at full resolution if the player was HDCD certified

May 28, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2,455 of 5,761
My TA plays mqa files just fine when stored on the internal drive on my Auralic Aries Mini streamer over usb but I assume it is the Auralic that does the unfolding before sending the stream out over usb so it probably depends on your source. However any mqa file will play on any device but only at full resolution if the player is mqa certified just like HDCD discs could be played by any cd player but only at full resolution if the player was HDCD certified
Ah, okay. My source would be the WM1A

May 28, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #2,456 of 5,761
Ah, okay. My source would be the WM1A

Thw 1A is certified to play mqa so will do the unfolding and then send the resulting bit stream to the TA just like my Auralic does. At least that is my understanding

May 28, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #2,458 of 5,761
So, the TA will play them in 24/192?

It will play them in whatever resolution the file tells the player to play at. I have mqa files that play at any rate from 44.1 to 192 but always 24 bit

May 28, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #2,459 of 5,761
It will play them in whatever resolution the file tells the player to play at. I have mqa files that play at any rate from 44.1 to 192 but always 24 bit
I see. thanks. Just ordered the TA! Psyched to get it next week. So, what would be the best way to connect an Android DAP for Tidal streaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back