The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
May 29, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #2,461 of 5,761
Can the Audio Quest Carbon USB cable be used as an upgraded connection method without the dock? Or is it intended only for the dock?

The Carbon is a standard usb A-B cable so will connect anything with those terminals

May 29, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #2,463 of 5,761
Sorry but can you plug the 1A into the TA with only the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable for a sonic upgrade? Or must you use the USB A-B cable as well?

Can’t comment as I never connected my 1Z to my TA

May 29, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #2,464 of 5,761
I shed a tear and get one step closer to leaving this forum every time I see someone talk about USB upgrade cables. It's not so much because they make no difference for the sound (which happens to be my position), but because the people interested in them don't really know where the improvement is supposed to come from.

May 29, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #2,465 of 5,761
Sorry but can you plug the 1A into the TA with only the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable for a sonic upgrade? Or must you use the USB A-B cable as well?
With the Sony WMC-NWH10 adapter you will need a USB A-B cable to connect to the TA. Just like when using the dock to connect to the TA.

As for which USB cable to use, I wouldn't use a cheap USB A-B cable as they are poorly made with inferior components. A name brand will use quality cable and connectors that will impact performance. Poorly made cables can introduce jitter and noise which can be heard by 99.99% of people.

May 29, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #2,466 of 5,761
With the Sony WMC-NWH10 adapter you will need a USB A-B cable to connect to the TA. Just like when using the dock to connect to the TA.

As for which USB cable to use, I wouldn't use a cheap USB A-B cable as they are poorly made with inferior components. A name brand will use quality cable and connectors that will impact performance. Poorly made cables can introduce jitter and noise which can be heard by 99.99% of people.
Great, much appreciated! And it sounds like the USB cable will come in handy anyhow when I do eventually get the dock.

May 29, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #2,468 of 5,761
The people who designed the USB made sure to provide a fully spec'ed protocol stack, i.e. including the components of the physical layer, e.g. cable and connectors. Below are a couple of pages from the USB 2.0 specification.

Of course, audiophiles are known to be intellectually superior to engineers and thus it should come as no surprise that they have been able to ascertain the flaws of the USB design.

Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG

May 29, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #2,469 of 5,761
I want to put my TA about eight feet away from the nearest outlet. My guess is the stock cable won't stretch that far. Anyone have any recommendations of where to find a longer cable that will be at least as good, if not higher quality? I'm guessing maybe medical/hospital grade..

May 29, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #2,470 of 5,761
497969_dad-meme-troll-dad-trolls-white-backgrounds-walldevil-best-free_1920x1200_h.jpg

May 29, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #2,471 of 5,761
I want to put my TA about eight feet away from the nearest outlet. My guess is the stock cable won't stretch that far. Anyone have any recommendations of where to find a longer cable that will be at least as good, if not higher quality? I'm guessing maybe medical/hospital grade..
In the current Power cable prices ... i think it will be cheaper to move the wall closer than to buy a 3 meter cable..:wink:
It really does not matter - just buy an extension cord and that all. From the extension - use a HQ cable , the TA benefit from it in sound.

May 29, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #2,472 of 5,761
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/xm3orz7m2.531174/

Thank-you for your intent to somehow help? But obviously your totally clueless as to how the TA and Cradle work together.

There is absolutely zero EQ possible?

The TA/AQCarbon/Cradle/MDR-Z7 sounds perfect. I’ve taken years to get to this place, so don’t need EQ anyway?

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #2,473 of 5,761
In the current Power cable prices ... i think it will be cheaper to move the wall closer than to buy a 3 meter cable..:wink:
It really does not matter - just buy an extension cord and that all. From the extension - use a HQ cable , the TA benefit from it in sound.
HQ cable? are you referring to the stock cable that came with it? or if not, do you have link?

May 29, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #2,474 of 5,761
Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #2,475 of 5,761
I shed a tear and get one step closer to leaving this forum every time I see someone talk about USB upgrade cables. It's not so much because they make no difference for the sound (which happens to be my position), but because the people interested in them don't really know where the improvement is supposed to come from.

Haha. Why so emotional. Simply lighten up. No big deal. Look at it like being in the supermarket and seeing someone buy something you don’t like. It’s what they are into. If someone was buying a big jar of pickles you wouldn’t get worked up; even though you don’t like pickles. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back