The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Dec 12, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #571 of 1,278
It is exactly cause of that top end that I like iDSD BL more than Mojo or Hugo actually - I prefer to hear that cymbal crash that makes me head bang :darthsmile:

I guess I get your point now - at least a bit.

Interesting since our tastes are somewhat similar, that we hear sources a bit different :smile_phones:

At any rate, as long as you find something you like, thjat is awesome. I guess this is why so many high end DAPs exist, to satisfy everyone and their personal itch :)

Yes it’s that etched treble sound of Black label that I did not like, higher end gear generally does not have this because of the refinement but I know you and you love for aggressive treble lol. Although I hate dull over smooth treble I still must be slightly more sensitive than you to that region.

Yes I agree, compared to yesteryear there is something for everyone now.

Edit: I would like to add that there was no noticeable difference between balanced and single ended even though the initial volume increase fooled me.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #572 of 1,278
Anyone can compare the IE800s with the Audeze LCDi4?

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #574 of 1,278
I'd go for ie800 in general :smile_phones:

You'd need that lighning cable for LCD i series to sound good, not to mention EQ them

So for the Xelento, Tia, ie800s, SE846, etc. I rarely hear of EQ talk, but on the LCDi4 there's a lot of talk about EQ presets. Does the LCDi4 really need EQ adjustments to sound amazing or better than the other TOTL iems?

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #575 of 1,278
I know we agree on ie800, so I know you should like them ie800's so have an idea of what you like as a signature.

I don't fully understand your tastes in DAPs though - X7mkii is better than Mojo to those ears, same for DX200. Better general separation and soundstage to my ears. I think maybe we are not looking at the same factors when judging DAPs :darthsmile:

Why would you rate M2s above X7mkii, if you don't mind me asking? I have DX200, X7mkii, M2s, Opus #2, Megamini and iDSD Micro BL, and iDSD Nano BL to compare - I;d love to better understand what is your main factor for picking a DAP.

The fact is, X7mkii, DX200, and Opus #2 sound quite close to my ears, and iDSD Micro BL is also close, more or less. All above Mojo. M2s is under Mojo and under the others, and Megamini is somewhere in between, if you don't mind their hiss.

Hi George, I know we share similar preferences in sound, and believe from past messages, you only had a short dealer-listen to Mojo. It is not a unit that immediately knocks you for 6, but as you appreciate the music, certainly is at least on a level with the very top DAPs. You had expressed previously that you loved the sound of Hugo, and owning both, I know it would be hard to like one and not the other in real world listening. I think it would be great if you get the chance for a longer listen to Mojo, I believe it would change your views!

Just read a poor ie800s review on What Hifi who unlike some, I have time for, having met them and been convinced they are reasonably genuine. Mind you they loved Yamaha receivers last year, this years top model suddenly is demoted from 5 to 3 stars, and some things they don't like haven't changed!

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #576 of 1,278
No, for that you will have to wait for DX200Cu, gold plated OFC just like your 1Z and another additional 250g of weight :wink: It will look and feel just the way you like it :p
LOL, I kinda like heavy DAPs, can't say why, it has a placebo effect on me thinking the DAP is powerful. But in any case I am not saying the DX200 design sucks, just doesn't do it for me.

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #577 of 1,278
So for the Xelento, Tia, ie800s, SE846, etc. I rarely hear of EQ talk, but on the LCDi4 there's a lot of talk about EQ presets. Does the LCDi4 really need EQ adjustments to sound amazing or better than the other TOTL iems?

Yes. This is because SE846, ie800, Xelento all sound good without EQ, and can be enjoyed as such, while LCDi4 really needs it.

The driver in LCD i series is good enough to be able to take EQ, not everything responds well to EQ, but they do need it.

Hi George, I know we share similar preferences in sound, and believe from past messages, you only had a short dealer-listen to Mojo. It is not a unit that immediately knocks you for 6, but as you appreciate the music, certainly is at least on a level with the very top DAPs. You had expressed previously that you loved the sound of Hugo, and owning both, I know it would be hard to like one and not the other in real world listening. I think it would be great if you get the chance for a longer listen to Mojo, I believe it would change your views!

Just read a poor ie800s review on What Hifi who unlike some, I have time for, having met them and been convinced they are reasonably genuine. Mind you they loved Yamaha receivers last year, this years top model suddenly is demoted from 5 to 3 stars, and some things they don't like haven't changed!

It is a bit sad that Chord products are a bit scarce in Romania actually, I wish I could listen to Mojo for more time and understand better wht people realy love about them!

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #578 of 1,278
It is a bit sad that Chord products are a bit scarce in Romania actually, I wish I could listen to Mojo for more time and understand better wht people realy love about them!

Its one of those products that you really appreciate how good it is, when you take it OUT of your chain. And sounds fantastic with ie800S!

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #581 of 1,278

Ahaha WhatHifi? They don’t know schiit, this is the problem I have with them, one year they review something let’s say an amp and it’s perfect then the successor model amp comes out and now suddenly the previous unit has flaws in it’s bass.:thinking:

I have just read this review on IE800S and I saw “rolled off treble” there is no need to carry on reading. They should get someone who knows what they are talking about.

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #583 of 1,278
When you do, could you please give some impressions/comparisons straight out of the V30? I don't have an amp and Im curious if my V30 can suitably drive these.
Sure will...

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #584 of 1,278
Sure will...

If the mere iPhone dongle can drive the IE800S decently then the V30 will have no problem at all :)

Really one of the things I like about the S, unlike my Vega you can drive them very well without an amp, of course they do scale up :)

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #585 of 1,278
Ahaha WhatHifi? They don’t know schiit, this is the problem I have with them, one year they review something let’s say an amp and it’s perfect then the successor model amp comes out and now suddenly the previous unit has flaws in it’s bass.:thinking:

I have just read this review on IE800S and I saw “rolled off treble” there is no need to carry on reading. They should get someone who knows what they are talking about.

:smiley: So true what you say about successor vs previous, many many reviewers are like this. And I always wonder, why they didn't point those "defects" on the original review??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back