The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Dec 8, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #541 of 1,278
Wider bore than Spiral Dots?!

tenor.gif

No I don’t think so not from memory, they are likely to be close though.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #542 of 1,278
No I haven't tried them since the IE800 has very wide bore I think the narrower Spiral Dots will affect the sound (which was the case for RHA dual tips), I can chek later if you want

Would be great if you could, because I kind of prefer the spiral dots over the senn tips on my IE80. Thanks.

Dec 9, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #543 of 1,278
I can find the IE800 for £449 through an offer from work (official from Senhheiser).

I was going to purchase the Shure SE846 but there is now almost £400 difference.

Source is Spotify 320 via iPhone. Might buy a Mojo in the future.

I had previously considered the IE800 but somehow dismissed as they seem inferior compared to the Shure (on paper at least!)

Any tips appreciated!

PS: I am coming from a pair of Shure SE420 and I really like their olives. Not too keen on the silicon ones supplied with the IE800.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #544 of 1,278
Would be great if you could, because I kind of prefer the spiral dots over the senn tips on my IE80. Thanks.

I had a brain cramp or something, I was reading SpinFits not Spiral Dots :p
I have to find the spiral dots to check how they fit now :)

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #547 of 1,278
I can find the IE800 for £449 through an offer from work (official from Senhheiser).

I was going to purchase the Shure SE846 but there is now almost £400 difference.

Source is Spotify 320 via iPhone. Might buy a Mojo in the future.

I had previously considered the IE800 but somehow dismissed as they seem inferior compared to the Shure (on paper at least!)

Any tips appreciated!

PS: I am coming from a pair of Shure SE420 and I really like their olives. Not too keen on the silicon ones supplied with the IE800.

If you prefer no treble beyond 7khz and a small soundstage then go for SE846

If you like excellent treble extension and a big sound stage then for IE800

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #549 of 1,278
ie800 has a very good depth. Also extreme instrument separation. To my ears.
Funny how the same IEM can sound different to different ears.

+1 on depth, excellent layering and instrument separation indeed.

Yeah we all hear different but one thing to keep in mind is, we forget to mention source plays a big role in general and depth and soundstage in particular.

I find the S fuller and with more bass impact with Mojo but not as wide and tall soundstage as DX200 out of amp3, same goes for separation. I think both IE800 & S have potential to scale up with sources while not scaling down too much (still impressed at how they sound out of the iPhone dongle, you can't say the same with the Vega).

Might explain in part why your mileage will greatly vary!

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #551 of 1,278
He he he.. Yea, easy to get those 2 mixed up..

Not really they have different colors and all, but the "Spi****" part is the same, dunno why I mixed those up :p

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #552 of 1,278
Not really they have different colors and all, but the "Spi****" part is the same, dunno why I mixed those up :p

Yea that's what I meant. When you read or type, it's easy get those 2 mixed because both start with Spi :)

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #553 of 1,278
Oh my I just received amp4 for the DX200 this morning and it's a beautiful pairing with the IE800S, a BIG jump IMHO from any source I have paired it with.

Amp4 retains all the qualities of amp3 (soundstage, separation, detail) and amp2 (musical, depth, the right touch of warmth) and even pushes them further... It reminds me quite a bit of what wowed me in Sony WM1A with more air and wider taller deeper soundstage very 3D. Just the right balance between detail and musicality, air and body...so natural... is that the elusive end game combo ? Not sure as there probably isn't such a thing but it's one of the few WOW moments in that hobby for me...

If it weren't for an issue with the 4.4 cable (it had to play with the fit a bit, false contact with amp4 just had one channel working... need a 4.4 to 2.5 adapter to check if it's cable or amp now as I don't have anything in 4.4 handy), things would be perfect...

If you have a chance give this a listen, you'll probably be amazed!
I am not going to want to put this off my ears...

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #554 of 1,278
Oh my I just received amp4 for the DX200 this morning and it's a beautiful pairing with the IE800S, a BIG jump IMHO from any source I have paired it with.

Amp4 retains all the qualities of amp3 (soundstage, separation, detail) and amp2 (musical, depth, the right touch of warmth) and even pushes them further... It reminds me quite a bit of what wowed me in Sony WM1A with more air and wider taller deeper soundstage very 3D. Just the right balance between detail and musicality, air and body...so natural... is that the elusive end game combo ? Not sure as there probably isn't such a thing but it's one of the few WOW moments in that hobby for me...

If it weren't for an issue with the 4.4 cable (it had to play with the fit a bit, false contact with amp4 just had one channel working... need a 4.4 to 2.5 adapter to check if it's cable or amp now as I don't have anything in 4.4 handy), things would be perfect...

If you have a chance give this a listen, you'll probably be amazed!
I am not going to want to put this off my ears...

Just pull the IE800S cable connector out of the AMP4 socket a tiny bit, or maybe use something like a spacer to pull it out by a hair...

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #555 of 1,278

Users who are viewing this thread

Back