The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Dec 1, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #496 of 1,278
The ie800 are probably the most stealth high-end iem. They really look like cheap earphones when in-ear. That's a very good thing.

Indeed the black mate finish makes them understated compared to the original glossy ceramic...

The low footprint is such that you can’t see much of them anyway :p

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #498 of 1,278
Waiting for AMP4, I just did a quick listening of the S with the iPad Pro 10.5 (a Cirrus Logic CS42L83A chip from what I have read) and it’s a clear setup from the iPhone X (or should I say the dongle) much better separation and detail and overall very balanced presentation. Very enjoyable, and not bad either playing movies wide soundstage, good imaging. Nice pairing even if it won’t be the primary use.

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #499 of 1,278
Just unboxed and plugged in my new IE800S to the Sony WM1A through 4.4mm balanced and been listening for a few minutes. The microphony is bad! Every tiny head movement causes loud wind/thunder like sounds to be heard. I've never used IEMs before, are they all like this? Maybe it comes with the territory? Seems they're not much good unless I sit motionless, which is a problem because I wanted them for portable/outdoor use. When the cable knocks against my chest it sounds like a kick drum in my head!

Any advice? Feeling rather disappointed here...

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #500 of 1,278
You can try using a shirt clip.
Just unboxed and plugged in my new IE800S to the Sony WM1A through 4.4mm balanced and been listening for a few minutes. The microphony is bad! Every tiny head movement causes loud wind/thunder like sounds to be heard. I've never used IEMs before, are they all like this? Maybe it comes with the territory? Seems they're not much good unless I sit motionless, which is a problem because I wanted them for portable/outdoor use. When the cable knocks against my chest it sounds like a kick drum in my head!

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #502 of 1,278
@BlinkST

I think that did help a little, thanks.

At the moment the sound is quite bright, fatiguing and light in the bass. Maybe this will reduce as they run in for an hour or so...

You tried the other tips? I tend do find them fatiguing with light bass is I use tips that are too small. With you mentioning about not using iems in the past, you may not be aware of the importance of seal.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #503 of 1,278
You tried the other tips? I tend do find them fatiguing with light bass is I use tips that are too small. With you mentioning about not using iems in the past, you may not be aware of the importance of seal.

Tried both types included. The silicone felt the most comfortable. You could be right there, I might not know how to use these iems to their best yet.

* Now tried the Large Comply tips which have given a much tighter seal, and the SQ has improved. A lot of clarity, detail and resolution. Coming from Sony Z1R, I'm still not 100% on the bass quantity yet though.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #504 of 1,278

Pretty common with IEMs, but some cables are better than others, it is also affected by individual fit/anatomy too i believe.

In addition to aforementioned shirt clip wearing them with the cable running over/behind your ear might help as well.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #505 of 1,278
Playing Snarky Puppy on Spotify with my Xperia XZ1 Compact and the IE800S. Sounds very good, so much so I've had to order the CD to put on my WM1A!
Pretty common with IEMs, but some cables are better than others, it is also affected by individual fit/anatomy too i believe.

In addition to aforementioned shirt clip wearing them with the cable running over/behind your ear might help as well.

Thanks for the reply. I did try the over-the-ear thing but the detachable cord is too short and rubs on my throat when I turn my head. It did work to reduce noise a bit though. Funnily enough, I'm cooking now at home and the microphony isn't really bothering me much at all. Maybe just an initial shock which has subsided? I have to admit the air guitar is out in full force! XD

I bought these IE800S to cover me at home and on the move, but I think I'd still be best to go for the Sony Z1R which I borrowed last week.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #506 of 1,278
Shirtclip can help a bit to relieve strain but not so much for microphonics, I find wearing them over ear is a must on the go (I don't get any microphonics this way). This is a know issue with those IEMs...

If you want to get bass quantity similar to full sized headphone and especially Z1R, not many IEMs will fit the bill... maybe the Vega :)

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #507 of 1,278
Shirtclip can help a bit to relieve strain but not so much for microphonics, I find wearing them over ear is a must on the go (I don't get any microphonics this way). This is a know issue with those IEMs...
Thanks for the reply. I did try the over-the-ear thing but the detachable cord is too short and rubs on my throat when I turn my head. It did work to reduce noise a bit though..

Even if you wear the cable behind your head? Disappointing to read, Sennheiser don't always show love to the bigheads, wideheads and longheads.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #508 of 1,278

If you want to get bass quantity similar to full sized headphone and especially Z1R, not many IEMs will fit the bill... maybe the Vega :)

After a couple of hours or so, the bass has really improved substantially. The bass guitar in Steely Dan's Gaslighting Abbie is incredibly articulate and deep, and Near Wild Heaven from REM is sounding very solid in the bass guitar too. The more I listen, the more impressed I am...and the resolution is phenomenal across the frequency range :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back