The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Nov 20, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #436 of 1,278
Thanks for the info. As it's been said before, this Sennheiser refresh across all model lines has renewed significant interest by just making minor cosmetic changes and driver tuning. I have to say that's a brilliant business model. It reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons when Lisa was trying to bring down the Malibu Stacy company by introducing her own doll aimed at girl empowerment. The Malibu Stacy company responded by putting a new Malibu Stacy doll on the shelves where the only change was a new hat. "Look, don't be fooled. She's just a regular Malibu Stacy with a stupid cheat hat. She still embodies all the same awful stereotypes as before," Lisa cries. "But she has a new hat! I want it, I want it, I want it."

Alas, I still want the new Malibu Stacy doll though...err, I mean the new IE800S.
The S in IE800S stands for Stacy.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #437 of 1,278
The reason there is no 3.5mm balanced cable included is because they only come in 2.5 and 4.4mm variants.

There are 3.5mm balanced sockets- used by Sony, LH Labs, HiFiMAN, Teac, etc... on various devices.

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #438 of 1,278
And... 2h later I have read this thread (minus the graph and measurement "battle" :p)
Thanks for all the insights on IE800 vs IE800s, looks like exactly what I wish the IE800 would be (and I always regretted parting with them). @twister6 Good to know normal symbio tips fit well those are among my favs :ksc75smile:

Pulled the trigger with the 10% discount via newsletter subscription (thanks for the tip!), in a few days I'll do some Vega vs IE800s impressions :)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #439 of 1,278
And... 2h later I have read this thread (minus the graph and measurement "battle" :p)
Thanks for all the insight on IE800 vs IE800s, looks like exactly what I wish the IE800 would be (and I always regretted parting with them).

Pulled the trigger with the 10% discount via newsletter subscription (thanks for the tip!), in a few days I'll do some Vega vs IE800s impressions :)

Congratulations on ordering your IE800S :)

I signed up to the newsletter but haven't received any discounts. I was playing around making up codes to see if one would work and I got 15% off (£315) for the HDVD820 amp by inputting 'sennuk15'. I did not work with the IE800S though :frowning2:

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #440 of 1,278
Congratulations on ordering your IE800S :)

I signed up to the newsletter but haven't received any discounts. I was playing around making up codes to see if one would work and I got 15% off (£315) for the HDVD820 amp by inputting 'sennuk15'. I did not work with the IE800S though :frowning2:

Thx :D

Quick question : you went all the way throught confirmation email? Anyway, I PM'ed you the one I got (it's a generic one), hope that helps :)

I had to wait a couple of minute after confirming the email should be quick.

Hope they ship fast :p

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #441 of 1,278
A bit impatient and in need of a distraction from less agreable stuff... while waiting for shipping, wondering what the consensus is in terms of DX200 amps matching with the IE800S ? I have 1,2,3 and I still have to read some further testing of latest amp4 before jutisfiying it (looks like amp3 with a 4.4 connector from spec sheet). Guessing #3 would be great but although it's not balanced #2 could also be an interesting match... we shall see!

Edit : that was fast, order has shipped :D and should be in friday :beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #442 of 1,278
A bit impatient and in need of a distraction from less agreable stuff... while waiting for shipping, wondering what the consensus is in terms of DX200 amps matching with the IE800S ? I have 1,2,3 and I still have to read some further testing of latest amp4 before jutisfiying it (looks like amp3 with a 4.4 connector from spec sheet). Guessing #3 would be great but although it's not balanced #2 could also be an interesting match... we shall see!

Edit : that was fast, order has shipped :D and should be in tomorrow or friday :beerchug:
Woohoo 800S vs Vega showdown on the way!

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #443 of 1,278
Woohoo 800S vs Vega showdown on the way!

Yeah I'll sure take some time doing some A/B :)
I have been with the Vega for over a year now, it has such a special tuning that listening to other IEMs and headphones always requires an adjustment.
I have also spent a lot of time with the Elear, and some with the Flare Pro each time coming back to the Vega shows how much you adjust to your main head gear and the Vega is somewhat off the main road :p

I have purposely decided to not listen to any gear for a few days in order to be rested and not influenced too much for first impressions of the IE800S out of the box, then see how they evolve as they burn in (probably not as dramatic as the 200h with the Vega, but those required brain burn in as well).

Anyway, they should arrive friday according to UPS update, fingers crossed!

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #445 of 1,278
Having exercised the driver at high volume a little, I've done some initial listening.

The ie800S are highly pleasant so far. I need to directly compare to my ie800, but they seem to be a smoothed version with a cable that likely won't harden and can reach your pocket easily.

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #446 of 1,278
I decided to purchase the ie800s, since ie800 was an old time favorite :)

Btw, for those interested to get $100 off the price (10% off), you can use coupon WELCOME10US at the Sennheiser US store, I just did and worked fine.

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #447 of 1,278
I decided to purchase the ie800s, since ie800 was an old time favorite :)
Btw, for those interested to get $100 off the price (10% off), you can use coupon WELCOME10US at the Sennheiser US store, I just did and worked fine.

Looks like they have the WELCOM10 basis and then region code, bet WELCOME10UK works too

Can't wait for a smooth delivery of that one due tomorrow (hopefully morning), I really need this to take my mind of a medical exam later today I am quite stressed about...

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #448 of 1,278
Anybody using these, or the Ie800, with custom ear tips? Just wondering about getting some from Snugs but don't want something that'll mess the sound up.
I have a set of Snugs ear tips made for my IE800. Great quality and fit perfectly. Sadly, for me at least, I find that they audibly surpress the high frequencies the IE800 handles so beautifully. They'd be better than nothing for using my IE800 or 800S on a long airplane flight, but I certainly would NOT choose to use them beyond that.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #449 of 1,278
A very specific question but anyone know of a custom cable maker that can make a 3.5mm jack cable compatible with the ie800s, with a mic remote compatible with iphone devices?

I want the ie800s so bad, the only thing holding me back is it's just too convenient to hold calls on a earphones.

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #450 of 1,278
A very specific question but anyone know of a custom cable maker that can make a 3.5mm jack cable compatible with the ie800s, with a mic remote compatible with iphone devices?

I want the ie800s so bad, the only thing holding me back is it's just too convenient to hold calls on a earphones.

While they don't do it officially, you can ask ALO if they can make a custom order for you https://www.aloaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back