1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!

First

Back
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Next

Last
  1. FastAndClean
    if they sound full and have good soundstage they can be great little alternative

Lemieux66 likes this.
  2. 7onyMustDive
    audiophile noob here, what does balanced mean? I hear the ie800s, Dita Dream, etc. talking about balanced cables or something. What does that mean?

3. Dobrescu George
    It is a long long story.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/why-balanced-headphone-amps.539458/

Basically, some people hear Balanced to be better, and use it as often as possible, there are agnostics or skeptics, and there are people who don't want Balanced.

Some DAPs and AMPs have a better AMP stage for the Balanced part, while others sound the same, it is very very complex of a subject. You want to have the option if it is possible, just for the peace of mind. I don't know for sure yet, no real opinion on this, I will use whatever is simpler, I barely have any Balanced cables since most of my equipment is SE.

4. 7onyMustDive
    ahhh I see. So I see that the cables for the ie800s are
    3.5 mm Standard
    2.5 mm balanced
    4.4 mm balanced Pentaconn

I see myself using the 3.5mm 99% of the time, but I noticed the other ones are balanced. Do the 3.5mm typically not need "balancing" ? Or am I missing a fundamental knowledge of cable standards?

Dobrescu George likes this.
  5. Lemieux66
    The reason there is no 3.5mm balanced cable included is because they only come in 2.5 and 4.4mm variants.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Dobrescu George likes this.
  6. Sc00p
    My amp has a 3.5mm balanced. But my understanding is that this is rare because the two aren't compatible and plugging in a se into a balanced could cause damage to the amp. So most choose not to use 3.5mm to stop accidents happening... I could be wrong.

Partlys4int likes this.
  7. Dobrescu George
    Placing SE cables into balanced AMPs can break the AMP and the item that is powered, so the standard is to not use 3.5 as Balanced, only SE>

@7onyMustDive , I can't say whether you will need Balanced. I tend to have a preference for 3.5mm for simplicity, but some people love Balanced, everyone should use whatever is simpler to the,.

I know that having the option is always awesome, the fact Senn includes all is the best way to satisfy everyone!

Sc00p likes this.
  8. snk8699
    I might have missed this in the thread, but does anyone know when this arrives in the US? I put in my order last month with Moon Audio as they had it available on their website, but they still haven't received any shipments yet. I believe they were supposed to get some in stock last week, but that didn't happen.

9. jmac700
    Can anyone tell me if these have enough room between the y-split and the earphone to be worn over the ear?

10. Kunlun
    I've had mine for a few days now. Direct from Senn, though

11. Kunlun
    For me yes, and it's the best and only way to wear them.

Other people say no, apparently.

12. jmac700
    Can you wear the regular ie800 over ear? Can the cable still reach your dap if it's in your pocket wearing them that way?

13. Sc00p
    They certainly aren't universal over ear. I have no problem, but i am small. Will depend on your head. However, on the S the lower part of the cable is longer, so if you had a problem with the original reaching your dap when over ear, the S is roughly 6" longer.

14. snk8699
    Thanks for the info. As it's been said before, this Sennheiser refresh across all model lines has renewed significant interest by just making minor cosmetic changes and driver tuning. I have to say that's a brilliant business model. It reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons when Lisa was trying to bring down the Malibu Stacy company by introducing her own doll aimed at girl empowerment. The Malibu Stacy company responded by putting a new Malibu Stacy doll on the shelves where the only change was a new hat. "Look, don't be fooled. She's just a regular Malibu Stacy with a stupid cheap hat. She still embodies all the same awful stereotypes as before," Lisa cries. "But she has a new hat! I want it, I want it, I want it."

Alas, I still want the new Malibu Stacy doll though...err, I mean the new IE800S.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    maxh22 and KLK2A1 like this.
  15. Kunlun
    Yes, but the ie800S takes care of the pocket issue for sure.

First

Back
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Next

Last