The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Apr 18, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #856 of 1,273
I want a break from BA and I am looking for a resolving DD that is relatively neutral. Is IE800S a contender? Any other suggestions? @Mimouille? @Kunlun?
Maybe Flares Pro? They are half the price .. upcoming Campfire Atlas looks also nice, but guess it will not be close to neutral.. Anyone can comment on this?

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #857 of 1,273
Maybe Flares Pro? They are half the price .. upcoming Campfire Atlas looks also nice, but guess it will not be close to neutral.. Anyone can comment on this?

Relatively neutral is a very dodgy term, you either want neutral or natural

Natural will mean a smoother top end, neutral a stronger one, since neutral would mean something that wouldn't color the sound either way, so music would come as recorded, so large differences between records and masters. Audeze LCD-MX4 is a great example of this, they really let the master shine through.

Neutral - Say something like FiiO F9Pro is good, but has a little stronger top end than it should, ETY ER4-XR, but has a little too little bass and too little treble to be actuall neutraly, so too smooth and not really enough bass,

Natural - Say HD600 from Sennheiser, and Dunu DK-3001, Simgot EN700 series, there are more.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #858 of 1,273
Relatively neutral is a very dodgy term, you either want neutral or natural

Natural will mean a smoother top end, neutral a stronger one, since neutral would mean something that wouldn't color the sound either way, so music would come as recorded, so large differences between records and masters. Audeze LCD-MX4 is a great example of this, they really let the master shine through.

Neutral - Say something like FiiO F9Pro is good, but has a little stronger top end than it should, ETY ER4-XR, but has a little too little bass and too little treble to be actuall neutraly, so too smooth and not really enough bass,

Natural - Say HD600 from Sennheiser, and Dunu DK-3001, Simgot EN700 series, there are more.

Sure !
IMHO neutral is the way to go. From there you can always change the signature to your liking, through EQ, cables, tips, whatever it may be. But your starting point is the 'right sound'. And you can always tell apart what change you did, because initial line was neutral.
If there is already messed up signature, coloured in any way, then you are messing it even more with cables, different sources, EQing ... so it is no chance to exactly know what you are actually doing to the sound. But this is basically whole point of this forum :beyersmile:

Apr 22, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #859 of 1,273
Those who have listened/possessed both the Xelento and the IE800S, could they please comments on differences and preferences for orchestral and chamber classical music? I have the IE800, and prefer (slightly) the Xelento, but can't do a straight comparison anymore, as I have switched to AMP4s on the DX200 and I can't do balanced with the original IE800. From Twister and other comparisons, it seems that Xelento is very similar to IE800S, or least, tough to make a decision on whether getting the IE800S alongside the Xelento makes sense.

Many thanks

May 4, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #861 of 1,273
Is this the best IEM ever and therefore nothing left to say? :nerd:

The best of this universe and all parallel universes in the endless space where nothing lasts forever.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #863 of 1,273
The tips always get stuck in my ear channels when i try to pull them out. That's really annoying and a huge minus. I really hate it to fumble those damn things out of my ears, goddammit...
Anyone with the same problem?

May 13, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #864 of 1,273
I have the same problem from the first day I purchased them. Both ie800 & ie800s. Every time I take them out the tip stays in my ear. I purchased direct from Sennhiser so I know they are not fake. But I love them both so I put up with it.

May 13, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #865 of 1,273
I have the same problem from the first day I purchased them. Both ie800 & ie800s. Every time I take them out the tip stays in my ear. I purchased direct from Sennhiser so I know they are not fake. But I love them both so I put up with it.

mine are also originals but honestly... that's a bad joke in my opinion.... for a 1k in ear.

May 15, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #867 of 1,273
Agreed its unacceptable, email Sennheiser customer support, I'm sure they will do everything they can to help with this issue.

no sooner said than done....
Sennheisers solution : clean up the nozzle with a microfiber cloth and throw the tip in mild dish soap for 2 mins. That's it. Brilliant!! Now everything is beautifully clean.
... life can be so easy. But the tips still get stuck in my ears.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #869 of 1,273
20180515_133725.jpg
Even though they gave some issues I still love my pairs of ie800 & ie800s!

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #870 of 1,273
Yes, I also washed tips and still the tips come undone. I always worry I will lose a tip or two for this situation.
Mine would constantly pop off, I ordered some knock off replacement tips from ebay for a fraction of oem price. The knock off tips never popped off like the originals.
I'm not saying this will work for your situation, It's just odd that the cheap tips had a tighter fit on the nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back