1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!

First

Back
46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55
57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
Next

Last
  1. GiacomoHoldini
    I've heard talk of the newer HD650 being re-tuned with different drivers to remove the veil associated with the model. I don't know if that's true, since I only have the one pair I bought last year, but to me it doesn't sound veiled at all. There's plenty of treble energy, on par with the HD598, which also are considered fairly bright by Sennheiser standards. That said, neither is anywhere close to the Fostex TH-900 in brightness. Their 7 kHz spike can sometimes feel like an ice pick being jammed in my ear. I like sparkle, but not piercing highs. If the IE800/S has brightness on that level, I dunno...

On a different note, in your opinion, do you think the FIIO X5iii is enough to get the most out of the SE846 or IE800/S?

2. Deftone
    I have had a few pairs of the silver driver 650s and the treble is rolled off but i never found them veiled. IE800S is not bright in a way where the treble is extended but harsh and fatiguing, its bright in the way that its fully extended and vivid but also smooth and very very refined. Put it this way there are iems i have used with less treble presence and i find them fatiguing.

I know about the X5iii (i have never liked fiios sound) but for the 846 id want to use something with a very low output like the Chord Mojo and for IE800S scales very well with good dacs but no so much amps, they sounded quite good out of my iPhone 8 in a pinch though just a bit grainy in the treble.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    GiacomoHoldini likes this.
  3. Dobrescu George
    X5-3 is extremely smooth, wouldn't recommend with either unless you really want something smooth , X7mkii is much better with either. better all-roundewrs, unless you really want something really smooth, where X5-3 is a king.

HD598 and HD650 are both smooth, at least the pairs I tried, the midrange is bright and open, but the treble itself is smooth, HD600 is an entirely different animal to those ears. Multiple romanians and people around the world agree with me, so multiple revisions on pairs floating around is a possibility , really not sure.

SE846 and IE800 have nothing in common, SE846 is rolled off in the treble, a thick bass and a clean midrange, no treble impact, and very little in amounts, IE800 is considerably different, a lot of treble extension with similar bass amounts but a recessed midrange, with a much better instrument separation, a really different thing through and through. SE846 and death metal or metal in general can be really thick and become too friendly, IE800 and metal is one of the best pair ever made

4. Deftone
    You mean the original IE800? S model is not so recessed in the midrange.

subguy812 likes this.
  5. GiacomoHoldini
    Fair enough. To me, the one thing they have in common is that I have one and am considering the other. That, and they are similarly priced, universal-fit flagships from their respective companies. I guess that's why I think of them together. But I understand they are very different creatures.

Deftone likes this.
  6. subguy812
    George I mentioned once before you have been comparing the original sound not the new IE800S. I am not trying to be rude but you kinda keep confusing things.

Deftone likes this.
  7. Deftone
    Unless you love a thicker more intimate sound then the 800S will feel like opening a window and letting in the clean crisp air.

8. GiacomoHoldini
    Well said. You make a very convincing case.

9. GiacomoHoldini
    Just pulled the trigger on the IE800S. Will report back.

I could swear I saw the oval IE800 tips a week or two ago on Sennheiser's website. (I know they're no longer included with the earphones themselves.) Now I can't find them. Are they gone? I don't know if I'll need them, but I'd at least like to have the option of getting them if I do.

10. Dobrescu George
    The original IE800, not the S

That is correct, but I don't think I ever wrote IE800S, just IE800. I know this is the thread for S, but I think that people keep asking about the original as well in here

11. GiacomoHoldini
    Yes, I was asking for input on either. I was considering the original, given the lower price, as well as its particular sound characteristics, but ultimately decided on the S. I appreciate all the information either way.

12. subguy812
    I haven't heard the original, as I stated in my review, but the tuning on the IE800S is special without peaks and any offending harshness

13. Deftone
    The original has better clarity but at the expensive of really showing off faults of poor recordings and treble becoming harsh at times. S is a lot more enjoyable.

14. GiacomoHoldini
    That's one of the big reasons I went with the S. Since I find the HD650 plenty detailed in the high frequencies, and the TH-900 piercing, I figured I'd opt for the smoother of the two IE800 variants.

15. twister6 Contributor
    Yes, absolutely agree. Btw, I did copmare the original IE800 vs IE800S here: https://twister6.com/2018/01/07/sennheiser-ie800-vs-ie800s/

SteveOliver and GiacomoHoldini like this.
First

Back
46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55
57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
Next

Last