The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Apr 9, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #842 of 1,278
Hi all, is it possible to replace the bottom part of the cable with aftermarket/upgrade cable? If yes, would it damage the earpieces though? For example, I can easily order a silver/copper cable with a female 2.5mm on one end and a male 4.4mm on the other end.

Thanks

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #843 of 1,278
Hi all, is it possible to replace the bottom part of the cable with aftermarket/upgrade cable? If yes, would it damage the earpieces though? For example, I can easily order a silver/copper cable with a female 2.5mm on one end and a male 4.4mm on the other end.

Thanks

Beat Audio told me they could do it. I would like to be able to replace the whole cable but it is risky.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #844 of 1,278
Beat Audio told me they could do it. I would like to be able to replace the whole cable but it is risky.

Norne Audio can do that as well. Yeah it is risky to do that. I'm also wondering whether replacing only a part of the cable will bring noticeable improvement/coloration of the sound. I haven't bought the IE800S yet, but planning to.

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #847 of 1,278
I auditioned the IE800S and while I like them more than the original IE800, for some tracks the sound is still very dull and dry.
Very curious about what's causing that.
It's all about the recessed midrange?

I think there is something going on in the upper midrange that makes it lack some bite when needed.

Apr 14, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #849 of 1,278
I want a break from BA and I am looking for a resolving DD that is relatively neutral. Is IE800S a contender? Any other suggestions? @Mimouille? @Kunlun?

I'd say it's a great contender.... i wasn't asked though :) I love them @ my Hugo 2 for relaxed listening sessions at the evening.

Apr 14, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #851 of 1,278
I want a break from BA and I am looking for a resolving DD that is relatively neutral. Is IE800S a contender? Any other suggestions? @Mimouille? @Kunlun?
I would take a look at the IMR-R1 with it's tuning system it covers a lot of bases. I wouldn't describe the IE800S as neutral, as it is warmish with wonderful DD bass, the treble is smooth and extends well.

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #852 of 1,278
Hum wouldn't call it neutral, but well balanced. I have heard that the new JVC HA FD01 is not too colored and has filters. No idea if it's good though.

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #853 of 1,278
Elevated bass, not flat, but balanced is a good term. Probably the best universal fit dynamic so far that doesn't have ear-piercing treble.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #854 of 1,278
Hum wouldn't call it neutral, but well balanced. I have heard that the new JVC HA FD01 is not too colored and has filters. No idea if it's good though.

Elevated bass, not flat, but balanced is a good term. Probably the best dynamic so far that doesn't have ear-piercing treble.

Thanks. I guess balanced is more the word I was looking for. I love DD timbre but they always seem to fall into treblehead or basshead territory (or sometimes both).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back