The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Feb 2, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #736 of 1,278
The IE800s really uses the DD to showcase it's capabilities. The sub bass has a nice rumble not so overpowering as it interferes with any of the mid frequencies but certainly enough to create a nice rich sound. The overall tone smoothly blends well and the synergy between the frequencies is superb. I have experienced absolutely zero harshness in the treble, the IE800s smoothly displays the high notes with an air of class. The soundstage is fairly wide with an above average depth and height. The texturing and layering is ever present. Being a reviewer myself I am careful to not criticize another person's review, but after spending adequate time with the IE800s I am happy to report I do not hear these IEMs the same as the What Hi Fi review.

Totally agree with all of the above and indeed, I don't agree with What HiFi's review. Frankly it reads like a preview rather than a review anyway...

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #737 of 1,278
I went on a little field trip this afternoon.

IMG_20180205_140015.jpg
IMG_20180205_143025.jpg

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #740 of 1,278
Well the GM is a friend so I want to help my friend reach his sales targets...
Enjoy...honestly I am very positively moved by these

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #744 of 1,278
I'm one step away form buying an IE800s. I'm between Vega and IE800s.

I own both and they're quite different. Vega is thick and exhuberant with thunderous bass (and needs a proper source otherwise it won't be controlled) with still good treble extension and IE800S is neutral warm, airier with still good body (but nothing like the hard hitting Vega) with a more balanced and refined presentation. IE800S is also faster. IE800S is a more relaxed listen, while still engaging.

It's not really a matter of which is better but rather two radically different tuning philosophies. If you pick the Vega make sure it's aligned with your priorities because it's polarizing for a reason you either love it or you don't impossible to remain indifferent :)

Price is in favor of the IE800S and I personally feel better value for money, but this is not relevant as the Vega is a unique proposition if you're into that signature.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #745 of 1,278
It depends if you like punchy but controlled bass or boosted bass.

I am totally sure IE800s is a great iem because I used IE800 before and I loved their sound. But my complaint was about it’s fit. Those unique silicon tips doesn’t fit my ear well.

I own both and they're quite different. Vega is thick and exhuberant with thunderous bass (and needs a proper source otherwise it won't be controlled) with still good treble extension and IE800S is neutral warm, airier with still good body (but nothing like the hard hitting Vega) with a more balanced and refined presentation. IE800S is also faster. IE800S is a more relaxed listen, while still engaging.

It's not really a matter of which is better but rather two radically different tuning philosophies. If you pick the Vega make sure it's aligned with your priorities because it's polarizing for a reason you either love it or you don't impossible to remain indifferent :)

Price is in favor of the IE800S and I personally feel better value for money, but this is not relevant as the Vega is a unique proposition if you're into that signature.

Thank you for this great mini comparison :)
Looks like IE800s sounds more suitable for me, but as I said before I’ve some concern about their fit. Otherwise I’ll jump into the IE800s.
On the other hand, Vega always caught my attention. Most of the people talking about their big bold bass presence and I’m very curious to listen them.

Feb 6, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #746 of 1,278
Thank you for this great mini comparison :) Looks like IE800s sounds more suitable for me, but as I said before I’ve some concern about their fit. Otherwise I’ll jump into the IE800s. On the other hand, Vega always caught my attention. Most of the people talking about their big bold bass presence and I’m very curious to listen them.

I have never had fit issues with the IE800/S, there are different sizes of tips did you try them?

Feb 7, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #748 of 1,278
Yes, I tried every size, every different tips but it didn’t work for me. Every 5-10 minutes I had to push inside of my ear because it was coming out of my ear canal.

I get it, small ear canals then... I have the opposite issue, but with the IE800S the M size fits while I usually fit L or XL when it does exist (when I went to do my imprint for CIEM the audiologist re-did the take he didn't believe he did it right because of those huge conduits :p ). It would explain you issue, S is to big and the proprietary and unusual bore makes it difficult for 3rd party tips :frowning2:

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #749 of 1,278
From another thread :

I can’t use the comply on mine I don’t like how they degrade the sound.

How do they degrade the sound? On my the silicone sound a bit aggressive so far, the comply sounds smoother. But still undecided

To my ears the treble is smooth yet vibrant and never harsh but the comply dulls down the vibrancy a bit too much.

Could you give me an example of track?

Sure

Havok - intention to deceive

The sound has a slight warm haze with the foam and the cymbals don’t pop as well as when using silicone.

I tested this, and it is true that around 3'45, the cymbals are less vibrant with foam. The trade-off is that on less well recorded music, you will suffer more on the silicones. Will give it a try in my music.

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #750 of 1,278
Mim I am not hearing any aggressive treble. Although I do have quite a few more hours on mine than you do. My head wrapped around the sound and I feel the treble is very smooth up top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back