The official "most OVERRATED headphones" thread
Oct 14, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #302 of 666
I'm going to strike down the e500. Sounds good 2/3 of the way, but sorely lacking in the highs--the level were I like to be
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #303 of 666
My vote goes for the K701's. I found them painfully sharp out of a Headroom Desktop, but maybe I listen too loud, and I didn't have enough time to let them "break in." I also thought they sounded flat and thin compared to my HD650's. Mussolini's entrance on Scott Walker's "Clara" sounded like it was being squeezed through a straw.

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #304 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by sghound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
best post in this thread!

Glad somebody liked it! It took me more time to compile that useless list than I care to recall.

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #307 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
every headphone in headfi over $50 MSRP is overrated.

yea, you heard me.

biggrin.gif

(please dont hurt me)

You mean overpriced. Overrated is a different thing. Hope that didn't hurt.

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #308 of 666
16+ pages of bickering and whining... NOT ONE VOTE FOR A YUIN PK1 or AKG K240s

Congtatulations Head-Direct and AKG teams!!

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #311 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean overpriced. Overrated is a different thing. Hope that didn't hurt.

i actually wouldn't say they are overpriced, overrated was my initial meaning
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #312 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i actually wouldn't say they are overpriced, overrated was my initial meaning
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

In that case, then may your face be showered with eggs and your wallet become so drained that it looks like a mere shadow if its former self, when you hear a pair of headphones that really grabs you one day! My guess is that it will cost substantially more than $50, and that's a pretty educated guess based on what I've seen here at Head-Fi these past 5 years.

If you've managed to dodge that bullet and yet have also found a pair of sub $50 headphones that delivers on everything you fell is important to you as a music lover, then you have my sincere (and I mean that sincerely) congratulations!

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #313 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that case, then may your face be showered with eggs and your wallet become so drained that it looks like a mere shadow if its former self, when you hear a pair of headphones that really grabs you one day! My guess is that it will cost substantially more than $50, and that's a pretty educated guess based on what I've seen here at Head-Fi these past 5 years.

If you've managed to dodge that bullet and yet have also found a pair of sub $50 headphones that delivers on everything you fell is important to you as a music lover, then you have my sincere (and I mean that sincerely) congratulations!

i feel that it is overrated... yes (IMO of course), but that doesnt stop me from buying more expensive stuff like the rest of y'all.
wink.gif

overrated doesnt mean not worth buying tho! like i think dim sum is overrated, but i still eat it
redface.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #314 of 666
Anything but the highest end Audio-Technica. ATH-900s.

Here's a chime for KSC-75.

Ditto on the E500s too.

Oct 29, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #315 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of all of the headphones I have heard (I haven't heard a headphone I don't own):

Slightly overrated: Sennheiser HD-595, Grado SR225, Koss KSC-35

Somewhat overrated: AKG K701, Etymotic ER-4P

Highly overrated: AKG K81DJ

Not worthy of any praise whatsoever: Sennheiser MX-400

Decided to quote myself to show my change of opinion since then.

---------------------------------------------------------

Not overrated

AKG K501: I love the clear sound.

Sennheiser HD-595: fun fun fun, I currently do not find them muffled/veiled at all, and OMG the dynamic power!

Koss KSC-35: incredible deal (when they were still being made).

Slightly overrated

AKG K81DJ

Somewhat overrated

Etymotic ER-4P: way too light to be considered truly neutral, and kind of has an earbud-like sound signature if not eq'd.

Grado SR225: imbalanced sound.

Highly overrated

AKG K701: lacks lower mids or around that area of the spectrum (for instance, singers' voices sound much lighter than they are), sucks at cymbals and sibilance, is slightly veiled, and is overpriced.

Still crap

Sennheiser MX-400: earbuds

---------------------------------------------------------

Getting a Stax 2050II system soon. Hopefully I won't feel a need to update this list except to call all of my current headphones highly overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back