The official "most OVERRATED headphones" thread
Oct 7, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #287 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD650, I don't understand why you would want monotone muddy bass that drowns out all of the detail in the music.

Unless you are a hip-hop fan.

exactly.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #288 of 666
best post in this thread!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I think of the most overrated headphones, the ones that come to mind quickly are:

SR60
HF1
KSC-75
ER4S
E500
HD201
Bose (anything Bose, apparently)
V6
ProLine 2500
MS1
RS1
AKG26P
DT770
JVC Marshmellows
SR80
SR125
SR225
HD555
CD3000
HD650
CX300
HD600
Phillips HP895
Phillips HP805
K701
K81DJ
HD580
super.fi 5pro
ER6i
RS2
Altec Lansing IM716
EX71
ibuds
Sony V600
DT990
SA5000
HD280
Sony R10
A900
K1000
UE10
Ultrasones (all of them, I guess)
HD595
W5000
Qualia 010
K340
VModa Vibe
EP630
Shure E3c
JS5 or is it SJ5? The guy who thinks they're overrated doesn't even seem to know!
Bose Triports (ahh, now we we have some specific Bose hate, as oppsed to the general Bose hate seen earlier)
PX100
KSC35
Stax 404
HD497
HA-FX33
E4CS Huh???
GS1000
MX500
MS2i
Stax Omega II
Bose QC2
Bose QC3
"Beyerdynamic DT250 anyone? Haven't heard them, but..." But what? You want to say something that you've never heard should be on the "most overrated" list?
confused.gif
Whew!!! (Or was he looking for a 'most underrated' in the midst of a 'most overrated' thread, per chance?)
MDR-EX71

In other words, I don't think for myself. I just go by what everyone else says. That's why I care about what is over "rated" so much!

Ok, so I may have missed a couple, plus I gave up after 10 pages... so shoot me!

Oh sure, many times. For a list of the most underrated headphones, as assembled by Head-Fi's collective minds, ears and finger tips (got to give credit to the finger tips for they allow us to post in threads like this) you could do an archive search and find all sorts of threads about the most underrated headphoens. Or you could use the shortcut method and just read the list above. The same headphones (all headphones, eventually) make either list!

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #290 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to know the HE90 and HE60 didn't make the list
biggrin.gif

Yeah; and I thought MS2i wasn't on it either, but yet; there it was; way down at the bottom.
frown.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #291 of 666
crazy list of overrated phones and in ways i think no high end headphones are overrated...i think they are rated according to quality really when we consider most high ends rival thousand £££$$$ speakers.

although i would say some are certainly way overrated as being much better than they are, shure e3, etymotic...anything really and rs1 to name a few.

i was shocked at the quality of rs1 when price was taken into consideration, although it was a brief listen

Oct 7, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #293 of 666
JVC Marshmallow - worst 20 bucks ever spent - like having an AM radio attached to a one note (around 120 hz) subwoofer.

MS-1 - people keep recommending these for some reason. Ultrabright, downright painful when anything brass is played through them. These are NOT the best phones you can get for 100 bucks! I don't understand how people can enjoy music without bass and just brightness.

KSC-75 - I don't care what people say about these phone - they impress me everytime i put them on. I love them although the clippy thing gets on my nerves sometimes. Overrated - heck no!

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #296 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter5812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR 225, I don't find it worth 200$.

I'd have to agree with that to a certain degree. Sure, the Grado's have great sound, but for $200, you'd think that they can offer something a little more comfortable than the SR-60's.

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #298 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD650, I don't understand why you would want monotone muddy bass that drowns out all of the detail in the music.

Unless you are a hip-hop fan.

Were you listening straight out of your X-fi?

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #299 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like AKG K701 because of strangely emphasized trebles, however really overrated headphones are IMHO Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro. There is nothing but huge, uncontrolled and dry bass and a bit of squeaking higher midrange. Horrible. <_<

I have yet to try the K701, but I agree on the DT770 Pros, at least stock. The bass is just too much and it overpowers the midrange so you end up with a bunch of slamming and screeching. They do have potential though (as evidenced by Darth beyers).

I also found the JVC Marshmallows (FX-33) to be not very good. I guess maybe they're ok for their price, but they just didn't sound that great to me. The KSC-75 is good, but I really need a headband, the ear clips just don't work with my ears.

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #300 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MS-1 - people keep recommending these for some reason. Ultrabright, downright painful when anything brass is played through them. These are NOT the best phones you can get for 100 bucks! I don't understand how people can enjoy music without bass and just brightness.

KSC-75 - I don't care what people say about these phone - they impress me everytime i put them on. I love them although the clippy thing gets on my nerves sometimes. Overrated - heck no!

Not to sound argumentative cause I know we all hear differently and our systems aren't all the same either, but to my ears on my system with the kinds of music I normally listen to, the MS1 and KSC75 have a fairly similar sonic signature.

...I really like both sets, but my Wife likes the KSC75 more. She stole them from me for her iPod and won't give them back!
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back