The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Apr 15, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #151 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakdady /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so... what sound cards, portable/desktop amps do you guys run with the 325i's?

M-Audio Transit > X-can V3 >
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #152 of 3,640
I know that many people have issues with the treble on these cans, but I am here to tell you that with these cans, ihave found out that it is all about finding the right amp...

The VHP-1 sounds great, but I can only listen for a little while before I notice the treble.

But with the PPX3 Slam...WOW
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I drift into the music for hours!

Apr 15, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #153 of 3,640
Hi, everyone. Number 5704 here. Brand new pair.

I had the 125's for quite awhile, then jumped to the GS1000's. I didn't like those at all (WAY too much bass and recessed mids, a presentation I didn't like at all). When I returned the 1000's, I decided to go to a local dealer and listen to the rest of the line. I put on the 325i's, the RS2's and the RS1's. The RS models are super-lightweight and look great, but I found they had a "laid back" quality I was not digging (but definitely better than the 1000's, which to me don't even sound like a Grado phone). The 325i's just stood out to me: a very super-detailed and open sound, with alot of energy and dynamics. Some people think they are "too forward", but not to me. They sound in control and punchy, with a clarity that I think surpasses the RS models. I may one day get some RS1's for when I might want a different type of presentation (and less weight on my head!), but the 325i's are my top choice right now, given my tastes today.

Speaking of different types of presentation: I have been experimenting with the "Grado flats" from TTVJ. Interesting. Not sure they are to my tastes exactly, but they do increase the bass, and have a very "tight" sound. Maybe too tight, which tends to decrease the openness of the sound and it sounds a little muted. It still grooves, though. Anyone else try the flats?

Apr 16, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #154 of 3,640
Thanks ackrmann, I enjoyed reading your thoughts, very interesting comparison you give between the 325i, RS & GS.

I've considered buying the flats from Todd but I'm afraid that I wouldn't like the sound based on my tastes and what I've read about them.

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #155 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakdady /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so... what sound cards, portable/desktop amps do you guys run with the 325i's?

For DAC's/soundcards, I've used:
MHDT Labs Dialogue II (w/ usb input)
M-Audio Transit
Turtle Beach Audio Advance Micro

For amps I've tried:
Turtle Beach Audio Advance Micro (which could drive the SR-325i pretty darn well on its own)
Gilmore Lite v2

So far the best combo is the one I've arrived at: MHDT Dialogue II -> Gilmore Lite. But I'm quite sure that there's much, much better DACs and amps to be found. I definitely feel like I haven't reached the ceiling of the SR-325i's potential yet, and that amp/source changes and mods could further improve its sound.

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #156 of 3,640
Yamaha Waveforce 192XG, no amp need !

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #158 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by ackrmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Speaking of different types of presentation: I have been experimenting with the "Grado flats" from TTVJ. Interesting. Not sure they are to my tastes exactly, but they do increase the bass, and have a very "tight" sound. Maybe too tight, which tends to decrease the openness of the sound and it sounds a little muted. It still grooves, though. Anyone else try the flats?

Actually, I take back anything nice I have to say about the flats. To my ear, they muffle the sound and make a general mess of the soundstage and separation. My advice: stick with the stock pads.

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #159 of 3,640
Got mine,

The 325i's actually sounded better right out the box than my 3 year old burned in SR-60's!!, just need to wait for burn in and ill be a happy camper.

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #160 of 3,640
i decided to get teh emu 0404usb. it's pretty good. now i gotta save for a nice tube amp. (i spend more time in front of the computer. but my pioneer elite dvd and yamaha htr5790 do a good job in the living room for now).

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #162 of 3,640
alright, so after the headfest meet having been able to try a bunch of different phones I think i'm pretty well decided on the 325i. I cross-referenced them with the RS-2 and RS-1 and within my current economic situation i couldn't hear enough of a difference to justify the extra money (and in fact preferred the 325i outright in some instances).

The only thing holding me back from purchasing them is the fact that i tried a pair of Alessandro MS-1s and really, really liked them and am now wondering if maybe i should try and track down a pair of MS2i to see whether i like those better. I have no idea where i'd find a pair to test, though.

i was thinking about going with the Headroom Total Airhead amp to go along with them, and it's on sale at Headroom right now, so that's pretty cool. That a good amp/phones combo? What are some similar amps in that price-range?

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #164 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Design /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing holding me back from purchasing them is the fact that i tried a pair of Alessandro MS-1s and really, really liked them and am now wondering if maybe i should try and track down a pair of MS2i to see whether i like those better. I have no idea where i'd find a pair to test, though.

If you've heard the MS-1, then you have already heard MS2i! Just think of MS2i as "more" of MS-1! Or, in my opinion; "If you like the MS-1; yer gonna LUV the MS2i"!!

....yeah; my favorite quote.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway: Just think "bigger"!

Bigger sound, bigger soundstage, bigger bass, bigger treble...ok the high end is extended a bit so it may sound a bit brighter, but it's only extended, not emphasized. And of course bigger heavier housings. Same sound; just more of it.

Unfortunately they're only sold through the Alessandro web-site.
frown.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #165 of 3,640
Ms2i vs 325i .....Ahhh the old battle.

Someone ,who has both, needs to do a serious comparison between the two because info on the differences is sparse...

...From what I understand from reading what is available, is that the ms2i is still based on the original 325 , not the 325i. And that the major differences are:

1)-that the 325i is more dynamic and peaky, vs a flatter (more sterile) response of the ms2.

2)- The highs on the ms2 are not as detailed as the 325i, that is the reason why the 325i has a bad rep for being too bright , it's on the bleeding edge of treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back