The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 27, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #5,807 of 10,994
  I can't stress enough how good an OTL amp like the WA2, CSP3+ or Bottlehead Crack is for the T1. The Gungnir DAC is good, but there's better for the money. Atleast put an OTL amp on your list to check out :)

Like? 

Another thing about OTL: inflexible & I don't like to play with tubes.
Something hybrid like Lyr with low output impedance will play nice to a whole
range of headphones.

WA7 with impedance switch is nice but it doesn't go down to 1 Ohm like Lyr

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #5,809 of 10,994

When I were doing my research on desktop amplifiers for T1, I had gone through lots of kind both SS and tubes. Based on my preferences, I narrowed my interest to these 3 amps/dac combo.

Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies (tube)
Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir (balanced setup) or Asgard2/bifrost (single ended)
Dangerous Music Source

If I go for a tube I'll get WA7, for SS amps the Schiit option isn't flexible in my opinion, I'm gonna have to choose between balanced or single-ended setup but not both. I was leaning towards the Dangerous Source because it's unique. (It's actually a monitoring gear) It has two sets of amp/dac with an array of input options and multiple output. This can be handy if you like comparing sources or headphones.

Schiit Mjolnir is for those who would bother to mod their precious T1 for balanced connection.
Mod is not cheap and you may damage the unit. Asgard 2 Class A performance is good enough
to drive T1 me thinks.

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #5,810 of 10,994
I had my T1 with balanced connection since day 1 and that is why it so good even for a portable amp like the M8 which is also flexible enough to accept single-ended connection. As good as the mjolnir is, it really doesn't make sense why it's exclusively balanced only.

As for tube amps, I don't really wanna be doing tube rolling and most of the best tube amps are bulky not to mention you need a separate DAC. Though I admit they kinda look cool. That is why WA7 is the only one in my short list.

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #5,811 of 10,994
  I had my T1 with balanced connection since day 1 and that is why it so good even for a portable amp like the M8 which is also flexible enough to accept single-ended connection. As good as the mjolnir is, it really doesn't make sense why it's exclusively balanced only.

As for tube amps, I don't really wanna be doing tube rolling and most of the best tube amps are bulky not to mention you need a separate DAC. Though I admit they kinda look cool. That is why WA7 is the only one in my short list.

you confirm a good match with centrance M8?

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #5,812 of 10,994
For me, yeah it's powerful enough to drive the T1 as long as you play CD quality to Hi Res files. I believe MP3swon't do T1 any justice.

There are many amps could pair with T1 and M8 for me is more than enough. YMMV

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #5,813 of 10,994
  For me, yeah it's powerful enough to drive the T1 as long as you play CD quality to Hi Res files. I believe MP3swon't do T1 any justice.

There are many amps could pair with T1 and M8 for me is more than enough. YMMV

thank you.
MP3? i´m 42 years old, i don´t know anything about MP3
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #5,814 of 10,994
Hey peeps,  
                  I'm selling a new pair of T1s for <$1000 but have yet to clock enough posts to post it in the classifieds :p Any one interested or knows where else I can post a FS: thread? Thanks!!

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #5,815 of 10,994
  Hey peeps,  
                  I'm selling a new pair of T1s for <$1000 but have yet to clock enough posts to post it in the classifieds :p Any one interested or knows where else I can post a FS: thread? Thanks!!

I'll keep my ears and eyes open for you. Where are you located?

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #5,816 of 10,994
I'm selling my T1's unfortunately.. A few urgent household expenses and more speaker use has determined they're being wasted hanging on their stand... Letting them go for a good price considering they're essentially brand new.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #5,817 of 10,994

I've been telling everybody: if Schiit Audio decides to put a single ended output in Mjolnir, I will purchase it without a single hesitation. 
That makes Mjolnir a more versatile amps, opening up whole potential of new users with no balanced phones.
Bryston's well regarded amp has both balanced & unbalanced output. 

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #5,818 of 10,994

I've been telling everybody: if Schiit Audio decides to put a single ended output in Mjolnir, I will purchase it without a single hesitation. 
That makes Mjolnir a more versatile amps, opening up whole potential of new users with no balanced phones.
Bryston's well regarded amp has both balanced & unbalanced output. 

Really a shame, I almost pulled the trigger for this amp. But the lack of single-ended output kills it for me. Though I have my T1 with balanced cable, I can't use anything else. Schiit has explained the reason why it's balanced only. But still ...

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #5,819 of 10,994

Really a shame, I almost pulled the trigger for this amp. But the lack of single-ended output kills it for me. Though I have my T1 with balanced cable, I can't use anything else. Schiit has explained the reason why it's balanced only. But still ...

That's the reason I let mine go (mjolnir), awesome amp, but it was taking too much space, only to serve one or two headphones.

The Ragnarok amp will feature both balanced and single ended, but twice the price and bigger.

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #5,820 of 10,994
My audiogd nfb10.32 serving me well....low or ligh impedance...single or balanced...double 3pin XLR, or single 4pin XLR...
Armed with a dac with a tall deep soundstage...some filters to fine tune to my taste on the odd cans,
Even the He6 is reasonably powered at 6watts...when I m lazy to cart out my big amp...lol.
All for 500+ bucks :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back