The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #5,011 of 10,994
Quote:

More great info, thanks!
beyersmile.png

I'll have to make up my mind between the Jazz and Classic. There are a few other amps out there too, but I've never had a Meier product and they look to be very nice, not to mention many speak of the synergy with the T1's so...

One last question: do you think the Jazz or Classic are pretty neutral? I don't want a warm sounding SS amp, slightly warm ok, but not overly so like my EF-1 which is making the lower mids of the T1's sound somewhat dry/tubby/resonant. Also, I'm sure they work well at low volumes right? No channel imbalance? I usually listen to phones at low to mid volumes.

Both Jan's current desktop amps are extremely neutral. I think a lot of that comes from his approach to this craft. I sent him an email a few weeks ago describing my experiences thus far with the Classic/Daccord stack. I asked him about his design philosophy and he said that, to him, the music was far more important than the gear and so he aimed to produce equipment that was as neutral as possible, so as to allow the recording to be heard as natural as possible. Just paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it. He said that the depth of the sound stage and the improved imaging were likely attributed to the crossfeed circuit, which was just further evidence for me that this was an absolute necessity for me. 

So yes, the answer to your question is that Meier gear is known for being exceptionally neutral. I'm like you, I don't want the gear imparting all sorts of sonic qualities onto the recording. I never play with EQ'ing, I dont use tone controls of any kind, and I'm not a fan of DSPs such as you find on receivers and prepros. I like gear that stays out of it and allows the recording to be the star, and when I heard Jan say that about his design philosophy, it confirmed for me what I have been experiencing since I bought the Jazz over a year ago. 

And yep, they do have amazing synergy with the T1s :)  

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #5,012 of 10,994
Quote:
Lorspeaker

Where did you get your Alphapad & the Jmoneypad?
the T5 as I was told is a closed can pad and it is not to be used on T1..
see reply below, when I was asking about the leather pad for Beyer

[size=small][size=10pt]"The leather ear pads are for T5 not for T1. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=10pt]T5 is a closed headphone and T1 is an open headphone. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=10pt]The ear pads for T5 are closed too and for T 1 we use open ear pads. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=10pt]Please do not use closed ear pads for an open headphone."[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=10pt]It seem like no one replace the T1 pad and have good experience with it..[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=10pt]Or they had been using the original velour pad and have good experience>>>[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=10pt] sigh... [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=10pt]rgds[/size][/size]

https://www.mrspeakers.com/fostex-t50rp-headphone-accessories-comfort-upgrade?product_id=63
u can get the alphapads direct from Mr Speaker ...
The beyerjmoneypads u will have to wait for someone to sell in the BUYSELL forum. it is not angled.

(btw, I dun recommend leather pads for the T1s..to my hearing. )
but the above two pads are great for storing in your drawers, just in case u need to tweak a new can u bought..:p 

=====================================================

when i had the Meier, they sounded brighter than the Lehmann BCL i had...sidebyside.
so depending on where/what you think is neutral, then the Lehmann could be called "cooler" if u think Meier is neutral. :p
Initially it took awhile to get used to the crossfed features, but after a week or two, i really got sucked into the soundscape it produced..
great german engineering.

All said, i still prefer a tube on a T1. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #5,014 of 10,994
BCL is a very nice, smooth, very detailed amp.

Side story: I never tried my SA3K with BCL, I tried once with pop music, so-so. But when I tried again with good jazz recording, WOW! Make me don't missed my HD800. :p

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #5,016 of 10,994
Quote:

That's funny,

Out of all the ear pads I've tried on my T1s  ... I prefer the stock Denon pads.  I just ripped out the inner lining.  I like these best. 

Yea? are they easy to fit. do they do anything to the sound? Which denon pads. This is very interesting. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #5,017 of 10,994
Quote:

That's funny,

Out of all the ear pads I've tried on my T1s  ... I prefer the stock Denon pads.  I just ripped out the inner lining.  I like these best. 

hmmm...interesting, havent touched the d7k stockpads for agesssss :p
its not as thick or cushy as the beyerjmoney,  great tat it works for u. i might go wash off the moulds n test it out.
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #5,018 of 10,994
The stock Denon D2000, D5000, D7000.  I'm guessing they're all the same pads.  I used the ones off the D7000 or order them from Lawton.

Feels good.  Does nothing to the sound to me.  Maybe improves the bass if anything. 

The only thing.  Ripping out the lining. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #5,019 of 10,994
And now the for the left.

Thought it was actually the headphone amp, the way it all went down. Beyers played okay for a few minutes, then the left channel just up and died. Made a whimpering little crackly noise when I'd power down the amp. Tested the Beyers in another source and they worked okay, but I didn't give the test enough hang time.

But then I tested the amp with my Denons and the rig worked like a champ for over an hour. Jacked in the Teslas. Left can dead as dust. No left channel in any other source, either.

Back they go to Sound Surgeon for another repair. At least their warranty works.

How do I get Beyer to cough up the shipping charge? I sure as hell didn't break 'em.

Mike

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #5,020 of 10,994
Quote:

Both Jan's current desktop amps are extremely neutral. I think a lot of that comes from his approach to this craft. I sent him an email a few weeks ago describing my experiences thus far with the Classic/Daccord stack. I asked him about his design philosophy and he said that, to him, the music was far more important than the gear and so he aimed to produce equipment that was as neutral as possible, so as to allow the recording to be heard as natural as possible. Just paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it. He said that the depth of the sound stage and the improved imaging were likely attributed to the crossfeed circuit, which was just further evidence for me that this was an absolute necessity for me. 

So yes, the answer to your question is that Meier gear is known for being exceptionally neutral. I'm like you, I don't want the gear imparting all sorts of sonic qualities onto the recording. I never play with EQ'ing, I dont use tone controls of any kind, and I'm not a fan of DSPs such as you find on receivers and prepros. I like gear that stays out of it and allows the recording to be the star, and when I heard Jan say that about his design philosophy, it confirmed for me what I have been experiencing since I bought the Jazz over a year ago. 

And yep, they do have amazing synergy with the T1s :)  

Hi Focker, sorry for the late reply, was out of town.

More great info., and I totally agree with the thinking going into those amps: just translate the music with as little coloration as possible. I want to listen to the music, not the gear distorting its sonic qualities.

That crossfeed feature does sound interesting, especially as you say you are not into EQ and DSP and all of that. This makes me feel that the crossfeed is not just some gimmick like DSP's are imo. However, I did read a couple of reviews of the Jazz/Classic that say the crossfeed adjustments are not really very noticeable. I'd have to hear them for myself (blind tested) to see if I thought that was true or not.

Right now I'm going to take some time and just get totally used to the T1's sound signature with the two main amps I do have, the EF 1 and Matrix, and then decide if I really need another one. I'm not a huge believer that amps make a lot of difference anyway (the "all amps with the same specs sound the same" view is what I lean towards, with qualifications of course), but I would like a clearer mid range and especially less lower mid bass presence out of the T1's. Not that they are bad, they really are great headphones with the sound as is (I played some Joni Mitchell through them recently and was truly impressed), but if I could slightly adjust these two slight imperfections (to me) in their SS then I will be entirely satisfied with them instead of just mostly so. The vocals are a little recessed too, and the highs could have more air or sparkle but I'm ok with that. 

So maybe a Jazz or Classic will be down the road for me in a month or two, but I'm in no real hurry (and definitely not an impulse buyer!). I might even wait to buy a used one if they pop up (I really hate to spend money on amps: many are surprised that in my main system I have monitor speakers over 10k but an amp of "only" 2k...again the "most amps sound the same" view I have as well as that I hate to spend a lot of money on a plastic board with electronics stuck on it in a metal box; at least speakers look good and are made of more than just metal and plastic!), but I suspect most hold onto these amps.

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #5,021 of 10,994
Quote:

Hi Focker, sorry for the late reply, was out of town.

More great info., and I totally agree with the thinking going into those amps: just translate the music with as little coloration as possible. I want to listen to the music, not the gear distorting its sonic qualities.

That crossfeed feature does sound interesting, especially as you say you are not into EQ and DSP and all of that. This makes me feel that the crossfeed is not just some gimmick like DSP's are imo. However, I did read a couple of reviews of the Jazz/Classic that say the crossfeed adjustments are not really very noticeable. I'd have to hear them for myself (blind tested) to see if I thought that was true or not.

Right now I'm going to take some time and just get totally used to the T1's sound signature with the two main amps I do have, the EF 1 and Matrix, and then decide if I really need another one. I'm not a huge believer that amps make a lot of difference anyway (the "all amps with the same specs sound the same" view is what I lean towards, with qualifications of course), but I would like a clearer mid range and especially less lower mid bass presence out of the T1's. Not that they are bad, they really are great headphones with the sound as is (I played some Joni Mitchell through them recently and was truly impressed), but if I could slightly adjust these two slight imperfections (to me) in their SS then I will be entirely satisfied with them instead of just mostly so. The vocals are a little recessed too, and the highs could have more air or sparkle but I'm ok with that. 

So maybe a Jazz or Classic will be down the road for me in a month or two, but I'm in no real hurry (and definitely not an impulse buyer!). I might even wait to buy a used one if they pop up (I really hate to spend money on amps: many are surprised that in my main system I have monitor speakers over 10k but an amp of "only" 2k...again the "most amps sound the same" view I have as well as that I hate to spend a lot of money on a plastic board with electronics stuck on it in a metal box; at least speakers look good and are made of more than just metal and plastic!), but I suspect most hold onto these amps.

Just for clarification, I would completely AGREE with those reports you read about the crossfeed being subtle. In fact, I'm on record several times saying that the best way to notice it's impact is to live with it engaged for a period of time and then turn it off. It's much easier to discern the difference when it's removed vs when it's added. When it's engaged you' re hearing music presented in a very natural engaging manner. When it's disengaged you're hearing music presented in a very natural and engaging manner but you're more aware of the fact that you're listening to headphones. 

As for the SS amp thing, we're both of the same mind with that. Back when I bought some DeVore Fidelity Super 8 speakers, they were being demoed on a rig that cost over 100k and the amps were a pair of Oasis monoblocks (over 20k each). When they were fired up with the Butler hybrid amp that I ended up buying for them (and still have, mind you) it sounded just as good to my ears. I think it's great that some folks prefer higher end gear, cause that's what this hobby is all about. But I tend to prefer more modest gear, which is another reason I love the Meier stuff. 

But anyway, hopefully you'll be able to audition the crossfeed for yourself and see if it appeals to you. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #5,022 of 10,994
Quote:
The stock Denon D2000, D5000, D7000.  I'm guessing they're all the same pads.  I used the ones off the D7000 or order them from Lawton.

Feels good.  Does nothing to the sound to me.  Maybe improves the bass if anything. 

The only thing.  Ripping out the lining. 

I had just ordered them..
Let's see how it work out..

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #5,023 of 10,994
hey guys, forget about HD700 vs T1 or even HD800 vs T1. meet THE STAX KILLA.....................

to be completely honest, i got this Audio Space 300b amp to drive the Senn HD800 (as i felt the Senns was as good as the T1 in some & way better in others) & perhaps a pair of old school Klipsch Labelles later (if the wifey ever lets me put those monsters in the living room). while its very good with the HD800, its incredible with the T1s. we all know the how the T1 can slam the low end, good soundstage, details & airy extended highs though it always seems to play 2nd fiddle to the Senns. and then theres the vaunted penchant for sibilance which can drive me a little batty. so much so i was planning to sell the T1 in favor of the Senns.

well folks, the T1 doesnt play 2nd base no more. in this guise, with the Audio Space 300b providing the juice, the T1s the designated hitter! bass is tighter with better texture. mids are wonderfully intimate, details are so abundant my brain's working overtime to process it all & the highs...the highs! its so extended it reaches the heaven with just as much air & space equalling the HD800s in soundstage width & all! and most importantly, no harshness no sibilance even on less than stellar pop recordings! 

the highs are so quick so extended its electric. seems like a hybrid electrostatic like highs with dynamic bass. hmmm how do i explain to the wifey i have to keep both the Senns & the T1s??

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #5,025 of 10,994

Users who are viewing this thread

Back