The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #5,026 of 10,994
Comparing the Nuforce HDP headphone output with the Little Dot MKIII tube amp used with HDP as a DAC, its obvious how completely horrible the amp inside the HDP is for T1's.  I mean, it sounds disgustingly bad, and that's not even an over-exaggeration, I simply can't listen to it, that's how bad it sounds, I much prefer the old Sennheiser HD212 to T1 in that setup actually, its superior in every way, including detail and soundstage.

In comparison to MKIII, HDP + T1 sounds thin, lifeless, with no dynamics, poor extension in both way, and most importantly, the whole sound has a plasticky quality to it. Like listening to music trough a plastic cup.  With MKIII its so much fuller, colorful, dynamic, sweet, soundstage increases massively, details pop out,  music sounds real and natural,  imaging is much better, its actually a somewhat holographic sound, you can actually imagine a real soundstage around you, etc.   MKIII is only a 200 dollar entry level tube amp, I know, but it gives me an inside to what T1 can do with a great tube amp and makes me pretty much keep the headphone and not sell it, because that's the only thing I wanted to do since I first heard it. No wonder I was not impressed with the T1 so far only used out of the Nuforce...so, anyone planning to use the HDP and T1 together...don't, just don't. Save yourself the money and buy a DT990 or DT880 pro, it will sound much better.

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #5,027 of 10,994
Ive never liked nuforce, i have one of their portable amps and it sucks. Thin and lifeless

I cant imagine the hdp doing the t1 any justice

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #5,030 of 10,994
Quote:
hey guys, forget about HD700 vs T1 or even HD800 vs T1. meet THE STAX KILLA.....................

to be completely honest, i got this Audio Space 300b amp to drive the Senn HD800 (as i felt the Senns was as good as the T1 in some & way better in others) & perhaps a pair of old school Klipsch Labelles later (if the wifey ever lets me put those monsters in the living room). while its very good with the HD800, its incredible with the T1s. we all know the how the T1 can slam the low end, good soundstage, details & airy extended highs though it always seems to play 2nd fiddle to the Senns. and then theres the vaunted penchant for sibilance which can drive me a little batty. so much so i was planning to sell the T1 in favor of the Senns.

well folks, the T1 doesnt play 2nd base no more. in this guise, with the Audio Space 300b providing the juice, the T1s the designated hitter! bass is tighter with better texture. mids are wonderfully intimate, details are so abundant my brain's working overtime to process it all & the highs...the highs! its so extended it reaches the heaven with just as much air & space equalling the HD800s in soundstage width & all! and most importantly, no harshness no sibilance even on less than stellar pop recordings! 

the highs are so quick so extended its electric. seems like a hybrid electrostatic like highs with dynamic bass. hmmm how do i explain to the wifey i have to keep both the Senns & the T1s??

Man that amp is a jaw dropper. I've always wanted to try a 300b amp on my T1's. I definitely agree with your last statement. I think it's one of the quickest headphones i have listened to when properly amped. Gotta love that super tight bass/mid bass.

What model is that beauty? What tubes are in it?

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #5,031 of 10,994
Quote:
getting my T1's back today after having them re-cabled with balanced Black Dragons....looking forward to hearing what changes occur.....

i dream of plugging one into a balanced dac, and a balanced TUBE amp... that would be a treat indeed.
but but but...
frown.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #5,032 of 10,994
Quote:

i dream of plugging one into a balanced dac, and a balanced TUBE amp... that would be a treat indeed.
but but but...
frown.gif

It's a really simple process to re-terminate the T1 to balanced if you dont want to spend the $$$ on an aftermarket cable. I think it would make for an excellent reason to buy a soldering iron 
smile.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #5,033 of 10,994
Quote:

I did not find any other reference to the HP-A8 in this thread. Did no one try this combination yet?
I'm yet again considering a T1, but did not like the HP-A8 / T5p pairing that much, the T5p sounded quite lackluster and missed that tiny bit of warmth it had with a Lake People G109.

Obviously I had to answer that question myself :wink:
And fortunately I can report that I like the combination quite a bit. I did a quick comparison between the HP-A8 amp and the Lake People by connectino the latter to the formers line-out. Sound is more detailed with the Fostex amp than with the G109, better sense of space, treble seems more present. Bass might even be a bit better defined when driven by the HP-A8. Overall a nice combination and more to my taste than with the T5p.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #5,035 of 10,994
Quote:
I plan to buy T1 soon, any advice on the amp options? Thx
beyersmile.png

IMO, the best bang for your buck will be the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball upgrade. The Woo Audio WA2 is another option and is comparable to the Crack. The higher-end product line of LittleDot amps are good. Beyerdynamic's own A20 amp is also a safe bet.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #5,037 of 10,994
Quote:
WA2  is what seems to be a good pairing according to others.  I say stick with tubes I don't know how others can listen to ss for long periods because of transistor hash.

You're joking right? 
confused.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #5,039 of 10,994
Care to explain what his is and what amps you've heard it on?

+1

I prefer tubes over ss, but no reason for ss not to sound good with beyer. Its a different presentation

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #5,040 of 10,994
Tubes are indeed very pleasant with the T1, and the CSP2+ for a while was my preferred amp for the T1, until recently. The Dynahi, originally gave the T1's a much-welcomed fun factor and just really grabbed the headphones by the scruff. It wasn't, however, enough to displace the CSP2+ until I added a BPT 3.5 Sig Plus power conditioner. The Dynahi responded to the filtration to a notably greater extent than the other components, which I attribute to the DIY design and merely passable psu. The combination now is something to behold and leapfrogs the CSP2+ by a margin, an amp I've always liked.

I have a fully balanced Beta 22 on route, which should make for an interesting comparison. Maybe Preproman can mention his experiences with the 4 channel Beta and the T1. From what I remember my 3 Channel Beta did not synergize as well as the CSP2+. Anyway, it'll be on the market soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back