The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #5,056 of 10,994
Quote:
Anyone has thought over T1 and TH-900?

It's been covered quite a bit. I'm not sure if its been in this thread, but its definitely in the TH-900 thread.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #5,057 of 10,994
Yeah ive posted a ew things on th900 vs t1 in a few threads, they are actually similar in some ways but different too. Biggest is obviously the bass and open vs closed. But the rest of the sound is similar with the th 900 being warmer

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #5,058 of 10,994
I like my Beyer T1s with a Musical Fidelity M1HPA. Yes it is solid state.
popcorn.gif

MF is one of the rare manufacturers who make SS amps which dont sound like they're SS.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #5,059 of 10,994
Quote:

I'd say the winner in this case would be....you! haha

yaaa try telling that to the wife after umpteen broken promises of only keep THE ONE & selling the rest. instead she has to tolerate broken promises & more junk (to her) in house! hehe

Quote:
That is hell of an amp scottiebabie!!
Very convincing!

I wonder how much heat generated with 4 300B tubes and others.
How many watts it consumed?

honestly, im quite surprised at how little (to me) heat is produced with all those tubes going full on in Class A mode. i can only feel some heat when my hands inadvertantly stray too close but otherwise, it definitely does not qualify as a space heater.

Quote:

As this is an integrated amp, the 300B (2 on each channel) is used in conjunction with the output transformer on a push-pull stage to drive the speaker and I am not sure if the headphone circuitry uses it at all....

good question as honestly i dont know for sure as well. theres very literature on the inner workings of the amp. all i know is ....

1.the 2 position adjustable NF circuitry (-0db & -3db if i remember correctly) also works in the headout

2.the direct input that bypasses preamp section into pure amp mode also works in headout

3.this is Class A pushpull 21w amp. isnt all headamps intergrated amps as well? & if im not incorrect, isn the (much vaunted in these parts) Leben 300/600 also pushpull class A amps with headouts tapped from the trafos? i believe both LUXMAN SQ-38u & SQ-N10(0) have similar topologies with headouts tapped from trafos as well.

so is this amps headout tapped from tube output or fully discreet? i cant answer for now but as im planning to do a spring DeOxit cleaning of the pots/switches, i'll have a looksee then. all i know is this is the best amp i have heard surpassing the custom SE EL84 amp i was using to drive the HD800s. as mentioned, my ears then told me that the Senns outclassed the T1s as make it redundant in my collection. now driven with this amp, the T1s are incredible with (to my ears) characteristics of a hybrid like electrostatic speed, treble extention, detail & airyness with the impact of a good accurate articulate dynamic bass.

indeed (again to my ears), the T1s now equal the Senns in its much vaunted soundstage & detail retrivel. for now, i cannot choose as to which is better either technically or even musically. thats how good this amp is to my ears atleast. life is good

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #5,060 of 10,994
Quote:

honestly, im quite surprised at how little (to me) heat is produced with all those tubes going full on in Class A mode. i can only feel some heat when my hands inadvertantly stray too close but otherwise, it definitely does not qualify as a space heater.

That's good! 
beerchug.gif

I listened T1 with this below. 
THAT! dynamic and soundstage depth and 3D projection is stunning, even though it's just portable amp.
A few times I looked at the ceiling, trying to find that I thought coming from there, but then I realized it's the music.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #5,061 of 10,994
Quote:
It's been covered quite a bit. I'm not sure if its been in this thread, but its definitely in the TH-900 thread.

Quote:
Yeah ive posted a ew things on th900 vs t1 in a few threads, they are actually similar in some ways but different too. Biggest is obviously the bass and open vs closed. But the rest of the sound is similar with the th 900 being warmer

Ok, I'll read over there. 
Yes, I find there are some similarities between the 2 phones.

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #5,062 of 10,994
Quote:

That's good! 
beerchug.gif

I listened T1 with this below. 
THAT! dynamic and soundstage depth and 3D projection is stunning, even though it's just portable amp.
A few times I looked at the ceiling, trying to find that I thought coming from there, but then I realized it's the music.

Iiiiiiiiinteresting.

I was looking at their Dacmini CX for quite some time, but this one seems nice as well because of a balanced output.  Can you give a comparison to any other dac/amp in this price range? Or any for that matter.

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #5,063 of 10,994
Hi all, I'm about to become a new member of this group with my T1s arriving next week (from kernmac).

I currently have the Bottlehead Crack (Speedball coming soon) and a range of tubes including RCA Cleartop 12AU7, RCA 6080, Genalex 12AU7, various generic NOS 12AU7, GE 6AS7, Mullard 6080WA and Mullard 12AU7

I'm looking forward to some tube rolling with the list above, but I'm also wondering if anyone has found some winning tube combos in the Crack with the T1?

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #5,064 of 10,994
Iiiiiiiiinteresting.

I was looking at their Dacmini CX for quite some time, but this one seems nice as well because of a balanced output.  Can you give a comparison to any other dac/amp in this price range? Or any for that matter.

Unfortunately, I only tried T1 with Phoenix (in SE mode) -> boring, Dark Star -> Harsh treble, then I didn't care to try with further amps.
Note: all with different source and songs, so YMMV.
Now this one, the source is just iPhone, and I was impressed with dynamic, bass and treble cleanness.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #5,065 of 10,994
Quote:

Iiiiiiiiinteresting.

Pan Am with the T1 is nice for the price point. Can't wait for the HiFi M8 (idevice compatioble version) to come out though. I want to do a head to head between the two. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #5,066 of 10,994
Unfortunately, I only tried T1 with Phoenix (in SE mode) -> boring, Dark Star -> Harsh treble, then I didn't care to try with further amps.
Note: all with different source and songs, so YMMV.
Now this one, the source is just iPhone, and I was impressed with dynamic, bass and treble cleanness.

On paper the T1 should be something with the Leben you have. Any comments there? That is one amp that remains elusive but up among the very top of amps I'm very curious to hear.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #5,067 of 10,994
Quote:
On paper the T1 should be something with the Leben you have. Any comments there? That is one amp that remains elusive but up among the very top of amps I'm very curious to hear.

There was one up for sale last friday I jumped on fast, but the guy was looking for a conductor trade + cash instead.  Looks like he ended up selling it to someone else.  A shame, I also want a leben.  Supposedly a good match for my harbeths too.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #5,068 of 10,994

Yes, I forgot to mentioned because it was a few years ago, I tried in the shop using my friend's T1, before I buy the Leben, that time I only have my hd650 and yess, it was very very good. Now that you remind me, ... why I never thought of that, hmmmm.

That time, my friend has the Phoenix, I tried his, and he too was stunned with T1 - Leben pairing.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #5,069 of 10,994
Quote:

'fraid i'd have to agree. besides the Phoenix, i've also tried with a few other amps & concluded that T1 and SS amps arent a good match (that ive heard so far). even the custom EL84/12ax7 SE amp (which drives the HD800 decently) cant tame the T1s very active highs.

luckily the Audio Space 300b amp i just got works incredible (to my ears ofcos) with the T1 (& the Senns as well). indeed im listening to some Micheal Buble right now & it sounds amazing....no sibilance no harshness yet super detailed with tight delineated bass.

fwiw, i'll be attending the Calgary meet at UofC on Sept 8th & will be dragging along the 300b amp so any local cowtown headfiers can attend & hear for themselves how crazy good the T1 can sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back