The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 12, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #5,071 of 10,994
Quote:

'fraid i'd have to agree. besides the Phoenix, i've also tried with a few other amps & concluded that T1 and SS amps arent a good match (that ive heard so far). even the custom EL84/12ax7 SE amp (which drives the HD800 decently) cant tame the T1s very active highs.

luckily the Audio Space 300b amp i just got works incredible (to my ears ofcos) with the T1 (& the Senns as well). indeed im listening to some Micheal Buble right now & it sounds amazing....no sibilance no harshness yet super detailed with tight delineated bass.

fwiw, i'll be attending the Calgary meet at UofC on Sept 8th & will be dragging along the 300b amp so any local cowtown headfiers can attend & hear for themselves how crazy good the T1 can sound!

Quote:
Unfortunately, I only tried T1 with Phoenix (in SE mode) -> boring, Dark Star -> Harsh treble, then I didn't care to try with further amps.
Note: all with different source and songs, so YMMV.
Now this one, the source is just iPhone, and I was impressed with dynamic, bass and treble cleanness.

Meier Audio.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #5,073 of 10,994
Quote:

'fraid i'd have to agree. besides the Phoenix, i've also tried with a few other amps & concluded that T1 and SS amps arent a good match (that ive heard so far). even the custom EL84/12ax7 SE amp (which drives the HD800 decently) cant tame the T1s very active highs.

luckily the Audio Space 300b amp i just got works incredible (to my ears ofcos) with the T1 (& the Senns as well). indeed im listening to some Micheal Buble right now & it sounds amazing....no sibilance no harshness yet super detailed with tight delineated bass.

fwiw, i'll be attending the Calgary meet at UofC on Sept 8th & will be dragging along the 300b amp so any local cowtown headfiers can attend & hear for themselves how crazy good the T1 can sound!

Can't say that I agree - Although I do see that you said "that i've heard so far".  

Just have to get an amp with some balls to tame the highs.  Micheal Buble' Meets Madison Square Garden sounds great on my 4 channel B22 and the GS-X mk2.  Two SS amps..  Good ones at that..

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #5,075 of 10,994
Quote:

Can't say that I agree - Although I do see that you said "that i've heard so far".  

Just have to get an amp with some balls to tame the highs.  Micheal Buble' Meets Madison Square Garden sounds great on my 4 channel B22 and the GS-X mk2.  Two SS amps..  Good ones at that..

lols yess its all based on what ive heard & to my ears ofcos. i also see u have named 2 of the best SS headamps out there so waddaikno. i'd love to heard B22 & GSX2 on my rig...maybe at a local meet if such is possible. 

all the SS amps ive tried esp with T1 has a very uncomfortable "bite" to it that makes me wanna take it off my head after a bit. so for now, im a total glass convert.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #5,076 of 10,994
lols yess its all based on what ive heard & to my ears ofcos. i also see u have named 2 of the best SS headamps out there so waddaikno. i'd love to heard B22 & GSX2 on my rig...maybe at a local meet if such is possible. 

all the SS amps ive tried esp with T1 has a very uncomfortable "bite" to it that makes me wanna take it off my head after a bit. so for now, im a total glass convert.

Received my T1s today and am extremely impressed. Not so good with NFB-5.2, but amazing with Bottlehead Crack. Just rolling tubes now to find a sweet spot.

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #5,077 of 10,994
Quote:

my gut feeling tells me your audio space 300b amp should sound better.  better is a very bad word though.  or let me put it this way, if i were you, i would prefer the 300b amp to gsx mk2.  i have the gsx and i sure prefer my 300b, wa5 much much more.  too much clinical sound is never good for the t1.  t1 sound a bit like hd800 with gsx. 

maybe i'll go try the audio space 300b amp later.  shouldn't be too hard to try, audio space is a hong kong brand and i'm here living in hong kong.  how much is this amp?  and 4 300bs?  and is it 4 6sn7s?  with so many tubes, it's going be to a bit costly in the long run

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #5,079 of 10,994
I was just  browsing trough my library of music in foobar, and realized how freaking hard it is to find something that sounds really good on T1's. I mean, something that really makes me amazed. I have a lot of music, all lossless. I have pretty much all the "audiophile" cd's and records which are by audiophile consensus considered well recorded, but most of them still sound rubbish on T1's, worse than with many other headphones.  Binaural stuff just sounds wrong mostly, more spacious, but totally robbed of all dynamics, detail and clarity, to me they sound like a badly set up dolby headphone plug in.

So, if you had a task to impress someone who's never heard T1's before, which record would you put on? Which song would you let them hear first?

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #5,080 of 10,994
I was just  browsing trough my library of music in foobar, and realized how freaking hard it is to find something that sounds really good on T1's. I mean, something that really makes me amazed. I have a lot of music, all lossless. I have pretty much all the "audiophile" cd's and records which are by audiophile consensus considered well recorded, but most of them still sound rubbish on T1's, worse than with many other headphones.  Binaural stuff just sounds wrong mostly, more spacious, but totally robbed of all dynamics, detail and clarity, to me they sound like a badly set up dolby headphone plug in.

So, if you had a task to impress someone who's never heard T1's before, which record would you put on? Which song would you let them hear first?

What amp r u using for t1? Everything sounds good on them to me, anything well recorded should be good on them imo.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #5,081 of 10,994
Any song on Scott Hamilton - Rossano Sportiello 'Midnight at Nola's Penthouse'

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #5,082 of 10,994
Quote:
What amp r u using for t1? Everything sounds good on them to me, anything well recorded should be good on them imo.

Currently only Nuforce HDP. My Little dot Mk3 is broken so I'm waiting for parts to fix it, but even though the sound was nicer with that (for the few hours the damn thing worked), it still was not THAT much better than say a DT880 600 ohm out of the same setup. Most recordings sound weird on T1....I don't know how to explain it other than they sound thin and boomy at the same time.  Like the sound is loose or resonating, but lacking body at the same time. Volume is not an issue, and T1 goes extremely loud with the HDP even before reaching 3 oclock on the volume pot, so there's plenty of headroom, but it simply sounds dull. On most recordings there's a lack of balance in the sound. The recording is either too bright, or its lacking bass. On medium volume, there's no dynamics or punch in the sound, and sounds are not very well separated.

I found only a few really great sounding CD's. For example, Dynamic Experience Volume 1 sounds pretty good on T1's, but then again, it sounds better than most records on other headphones I own as well. I don't know what to think about the T1's at the moment, other than, what is the point of them if in a 5000 song library I can find 10 songs that make me sort of feel like they're worth the money. And those songs are not actual music I listen to, its just some demonstration disk which is fun to listen to once, but then I forget about it.

Another thing that seems consistent with the T1 is that the live albums sound better than studio ones, its almost a rule.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #5,083 of 10,994
Its not always volume, i dont think either amp is doing the t1 justice., or maybe u just got a bad pair =|

Should be notcieably better than the dt 880/990

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #5,084 of 10,994
Quote:
Its not always volume, i dont think either amp is doing the t1 justice., or maybe u just got a bad pair =|

Should be notcieably better than the dt 880/990

Hmm  I dont think its a bad pair, they dont sound broken or anything. With a proper record they do sound better than DT880, but songs where difference is really big are rare.

But you are also right about the volume. I'm sure HDP is not doing the T1 justice, because its not a particularly good sound piece of equipment. I remember a noticeable step down in sound quality when I compared my old Asus Essence ST to HDP.

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #5,085 of 10,994
Led Zeppelin  "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"   Remasters cd
Steely Dan     "Jack of Speed"  Two Against Nature cd
Steely Dan     "Black Cow"         Aja cd
Dominic Miller "New Dawn"       New Dawn cd
The Eagles    "One of These Nights"   Very Best of the Eagles" cd
Lee Ritenour  "Get Up, Stand Up"   The Very Best of Lee Ritenour cd
Hawthorne Heights  "Niki Fm"   The Silence in Black and White - Re-Issue  cd
Minus the Bear  "Into the MIrror"  OMNI cd

These are all exceptional with my Schiit Lyr/Bifrost/T1 combo.

(Had a DT 880 600 Ohm before getting the T1.  No comparison)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back