The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 26, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #3,421 of 10,994
Quote:
Boy, this is a long thread, and since I can't read it all, here's my question:  Does anyone have the following set-up - iPhone/iPod -> LOD-RCA -> A1 Amp -> T1?  I did an extended demo of the T5p, and while the "airiness"/space, clarity and detail were wonderful (incredible, actually, which is why I'm considering the T1), I was underwhelmed by the bass straight out of my iPhone.  Certainly, you could get a portable amp to improve that, but it seemed that the consensus was that would only take you so far, and the sound-signature of the T1 was going to be more to my liking.  The A1 amp is small and portable enough to carry it around my house (all that I really need), but my remaining concern was the use of a low-powered device such as an iPhone/iPod as the music source using a LOD-RCA cable.  (The alternative would be a mini-RCA cable, which would be a bit more future-proof given Apple's move to the Lightening connector.)  If you have this set-up, and have any thoughts you can share, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!

(I also may try the DT1350, which sounds like it will work fine straight from an iPhone and provide a more detailed sound than my current headphone, which is a Sennheiser Momentum.)

I used to own the T5p with a Fiio e11 amp with iphone. Its good, but honestly you're better off going with the best IEMs you can get that suit your taste. Its just so much more portable and cheaper without a loss in SQ (using iphone of course).

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #3,422 of 10,994
I feel that this song really shines on the T1's.

Btw, is there lack of centered-ness on the vocals? Or is it just me/my equipment?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/uR7HKOP55AQ

EDIT: Okay... how do I get this embeded? Chrome is not playing nice with the head-fi text editor atm.

Figured it out. Like a boss.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #3,423 of 10,994
Quote:
Boy, this is a long thread, and since I can't read it all, here's my question:  Does anyone have the following set-up - iPhone/iPod -> LOD-RCA -> A1 Amp -> T1?  I did an extended demo of the T5p, and while the "airiness"/space, clarity and detail were wonderful (incredible, actually, which is why I'm considering the T1), I was underwhelmed by the bass straight out of my iPhone.  Certainly, you could get a portable amp to improve that, but it seemed that the consensus was that would only take you so far, and the sound-signature of the T1 was going to be more to my liking.  The A1 amp is small and portable enough to carry it around my house (all that I really need), but my remaining concern was the use of a low-powered device such as an iPhone/iPod as the music source using a LOD-RCA cable.  (The alternative would be a mini-RCA cable, which would be a bit more future-proof given Apple's move to the Lightening connector.)  If you have this set-up, and have any thoughts you can share, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!

(I also may try the DT1350, which sounds like it will work fine straight from an iPhone and provide a more detailed sound than my current headphone, which is a Sennheiser Momentum.)

Sorry, but that iPhone/iPod is your bottleneck and likely hurting things quite a bit. Imaging is mostly source dependent (when compared to amping). I would strongly recommend looking there. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #3,424 of 10,994
Quote:
I used to own the T5p with a Fiio e11 amp with iphone. Its good, but honestly you're better off going with the best IEMs you can get that suit your taste. Its just so much more portable and cheaper without a loss in SQ (using iphone of course).

Many thanks for the comment.  I actually have a Westone ES5 that is terrific, but there are just times when you want to listen to music without something stuck in your ear.  As much as I like the ES5, I find that the treble is more rolled off than I would like, so if I were looking for something else, I'd go with a JH16 or JH13.  I'm partially deaf, so I actually only need one, and I run it mono off my iPhone.  Still, would love a reasonably transportable, very nice full-size headphone set-up.  The sound and experience is just different.

Quote:
Sorry, but that iPhone/iPod is your bottleneck and likely hurting things quite a bit. Imaging is mostly source dependent (when compared to amping). I would strongly recommend looking there. 

I'm actually not tremendously stuck on imaging as I listen to music in mono, but I just want to duplicate the clarity I heard in the T5p, but with better bass.  But you raise a fair point; it may not be worth going whole hog on a set-up if I'm not willing to invest the time/expense in a better source than my iPhone/iPod.  There's the convenience factor, admittedly, but certainly a point worth considering.  Again, thank you for weighing in.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #3,425 of 10,994
Quote:

Many thanks for the comment.  I actually have a Westone ES5 that is terrific, but there are just times when you want to listen to music without something stuck in your ear.  As much as I like the ES5, I find that the treble is more rolled off than I would like, so if I were looking for something else, I'd go with a JH16 or JH13.  I'm partially deaf, so I actually only need one, and I run it mono off my iPhone.  Still, would love a reasonably transportable, very nice full-size headphone set-up.  The sound and experience is just different.

I'm actually not tremendously stuck on imaging as I listen to music in mono, but I just want to duplicate the clarity I heard in the T5p, but with better bass.  But you raise a fair point; it may not be worth going whole hog on a set-up if I'm not willing to invest the time/expense in a better source than my iPhone/iPod.  There's the convenience factor, admittedly, but certainly a point worth considering.  Again, thank you for weighing in.

You're also losing a lot in terms of clarity, transparency and just a whole lot overall. For a cheap bump up in improvement, I recommend you look at the NuForce iDo to run your iPod/iPhone through. It'll pull your music out digitally and use its internal DAC to process the data. For $250ish, I found it a great option!

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #3,426 of 10,994
I fully agree with MH's suggestion on the Nu-Force. I use a similar product, the PURE I-20 dock...he's right, it makes a big difference. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #3,427 of 10,994
Quote:

But with all that said, I still never was drawn to the T1 as I was to the DT1350's I've got.

There is something about the DT1350's, I absolutely love them for traveling around/at work.

Quote:

I love my T1s, but I fully understand where you're coming from. People often misunderstand what I mean, but I consider the 1350s to be a better headphone than the T1s "dollar for dollar". The T1s are better overall, but in terms of value the 1350s have them beat. Not a day goes by where I dont reach for my little portables. 

So, how would you compare the 2? I currently have the 1350's but am going to get a dedicated home headphone and the T1 is one of my 3 options. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #3,428 of 10,994
Quote:
You're also losing a lot in terms of clarity, transparency and just a whole lot overall. For a cheap bump up in improvement, I recommend you look at the NuForce iDo to run your iPod/iPhone through. It'll pull your music out digitally and use its internal DAC to process the data. For $250ish, I found it a great option!

Many thanks for the tip, but I did have one (dumb) question: Are you suggesting that I run the iDevice through the NuForce and then into the A1 amp (and the T1)?  I'm assuming that's what you meant, but just wanted to confirm.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #3,429 of 10,994
Quote:

Many thanks for the tip, but I did have one (dumb) question: Are you suggesting that I run the iDevice through the NuForce and then into the A1 amp (and the T1)?  I'm assuming that's what you meant, but just wanted to confirm.

That is correct. Its a cheap way to maintain your iPod/iPhone as a source and use a better DAC to improve the sound. You can then run it using RCA unbalanced outputs into your amp. As a bonus, it has a nice headphone amp too that's great with IEMs or efficient dynamic headphones.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #3,430 of 10,994
I just ordered a T1.
Now I need an amp.
Does anyone have an experience with T1 powered by Bryston BHA1 ?
Also need suggestions for balanced cabled to go with them :D

It does not end there - does it :p

Thanks
Sunil

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #3,431 of 10,994
Quote:
It does not end there - does it
tongue.gif

of course not! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #3,432 of 10,994
Quote:
That is correct. Its a cheap way to maintain your iPod/iPhone as a source and use a better DAC to improve the sound. You can then run it using RCA unbalanced outputs into your amp. As a bonus, it has a nice headphone amp too that's great with IEMs or efficient dynamic headphones.

Thanks.  Here's a twist:  I'm completely deaf in one ear, so right now I set my iPhone to "mono" (under the "Accessibility" menu in "Settings") and in effect get both channels on the left "side".  Otherwise, you just miss a lot of the music by listening only to the left channel.  (I will stipulate that this does horrible things to SQ, imaging, soundstage, etc...so be it.)  I actually have a custom cable for my Westone ES5 (I only have the left earpiece) that does the same thing via hardware.  If I use something like a Nuforce that pulls the digital signal straight from the iDevice, does anyone have any idea whether that also defeats the "mono" setting?  I'm assuming so, which would be unfortunate.  And another reason I was considering just running my iPhone straight into the A1.  Or maybe find a good headphone amp with a mono switch (I recall seeing one somewhere on this site...).

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #3,433 of 10,994
Quote:

So, how would you compare the 2? I currently have the 1350's but am going to get a dedicated home headphone and the T1 is one of my 3 options. 

Well, sonically the 1350s sound like mini-T1s to me. The T1s are more comfortable and have a large soundstage. I also find them to be a tad brighter at times. I'm very fond of both headphones and am glad I have both available to enjoy. The T1s will give you more of what you have with your 1350s, but personally I find them to be complementary in terms of function, even if not so much in terms of sonics. Hope that helps'!

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #3,435 of 10,994
Quote:
I just ordered a T1.
Now I need an amp.
Does anyone have an experience with T1 powered by Bryston BHA1 ?
Also need suggestions for balanced cabled to go with them
biggrin.gif

It does not end there - does it
tongue.gif

Thanks
Sunil

From my experience and IMO.  My SE T1 did not sound good out of the BHA-1 SE output.  IMO the balanced output sounds 100 times better.   By the way.  I loved the BHA-1
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back