The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #3,361 of 10,994
Quote:
T1's just arrived and running them through a CSP2+ using a Sylvania 5u4g rectifier and [size=small]3 Genelax 6922 Gold Lions. The details are phenomenal, the energy addicting and the imaging is first-rate (not up to par with my Stax, but very good). I am, however, thrown by the forwardness. Elliot Smith (vinyl recording) is all boxed up in the center of my brain and doesn't have a great deal of breathing room. This is well suited to some of his slower balladry, but distracting for some of the edgier stuff. Also, they're quite revealing. Anyway, quite the variance between albums so far. Acoustic, binaural album "Up Close" (Ottmar Leibert) was tonally wonderful and fascinatingly expansive - Elliot Smith - enjoyable, but a little on the boring side, and at times irritatingly forward. Their job was to replace the RS1's (which I ranked the weakest of my headphones and not competitive with the AD2000 for the same music) and they do in spades from a technicalities vantage. We'll see as to the rest. [/size]

Love Elliot Smith on my T1's.  I got nothing else....just chiming in:)

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #3,362 of 10,994
With more listening time I'm beginning to understand the strengths and weaknesses of this headphone. The T1 does something remarkable: it has just the right body and tone to allow for an almost microscopic dissection of a song. Instrumental tones are so easy to identify with this headphone and while I wouldn't call them airy I would say they're spacious to the point that everything has an identifiable place. They bring this needle-pointed sharpness to the fabric of a song and details are brought forward to a place where identification becomes easy. I love this quality, but they barter away some tactility, weight density and dynamics to achieve this. As of now I wouldn't call them very musical, but neither would I say they were analytical despite the very critical view of details they provide. I also find them a little fatiguing when compared with anything apart from the AD2000 on a sharp recording. Many have said that these headphones tend to grow on people. After 4 consecutive days of only listening to them I am craving a little variety. We'll see how they perform when I return to them after LCD's and HD800's. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #3,363 of 10,994
Quote:
With more listening time I'm beginning to understand the strengths and weaknesses of this headphone. The T1 does something remarkable: it has just the right body and tone to allow for an almost microscopic dissection of a song. Instrumental tones are so easy to identify with this headphone and while I wouldn't call them airy I would say they're spacious to the point that everything has an identifiable place. They bring this needle-pointed sharpness to the fabric of a song and details are brought forward to a place where identification becomes easy. I love this quality, but they barter away some tactility, weight density and dynamics to achieve this. As of now I wouldn't call them very musical, but neither would I say they were analytical despite the very critical view of details they provide. I also find them a little fatiguing when compared with anything apart from the AD2000 on a sharp recording. Many have said that these headphones tend to grow on people. After 4 consecutive days of only listening to them I am craving a little variety. We'll see how they perform when I return to them after LCD's and HD800's. 

What amp are you finding they pair the best with?

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #3,364 of 10,994
I can't say yet. I have only used them with my CSP2+ (Sulvania 5U4G Rectifier, 3 Genalex 6922 Gold Lions). I believe the Gold Lions provide an ephedrine effect, dieting a headphones body weight by picking up the pace and transparency. This may contribute to the very detailed sound I hear from the T1. On my LCD's the CSP2+ provided the surprise addition of the year using the same configuration as mentioned. As preamp into a Taboo the LCD's became a different animal altogether. Thinner, faster and cleaner. I don't want to change the tubes every time so I kept it as is. I will rotate the stock tubes into the CSP2+ and see how that plays out next. After I'll run it through the Beta and finally the Zana Deux. I thought I'd begin with the CSP2+ for this combination has been tried and praised repeatedly. 

*Listening to Andrew Bird (same album I heard last night with the Beyers) I'm finding it difficult to adjust to the sound. Man the T1's are a detailed pair of headphones! Also the tonality is an improvement on the Beyers. The LCD's do have an edge on decay though, being a little more purposeful and less quick and fleeting. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #3,365 of 10,994
Andrew Bird is an artist I've only come across recently...so far this guy is really damn good. 

I find the T1s really like tubes....I love how they sound with my Meier Jazz, but when I engage the tube buffer I really like the subtle impact it has on the T1s. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #3,368 of 10,994
I'm kind of on the fence about buying a T1. It is a quite a lot of money.

To which extent would the T1 be an improvement in my rig: Computer -> Corda Cantate DAC/Amp -> Sennheiser HD 600 w. Cardas.

I'm just afraid the T1 might be more a side-grade instead of an upgrade. For that kind of money I really need it to be an improvement on pretty much every aspect sound quality wise against the HD600.

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #3,369 of 10,994
THe T1 is a massive improvement over the HD600 even with the cardas cable. If you order from Thomann in Germany like I did you get a 30 day return period if for some reason you don't like them.
You will need to upgrade your source and amp though to get the very best out of them as they are far more revealing the the Senns.

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #3,370 of 10,994
I've only had experiences with the HD650 but the T1s is miles ahead (as it should be) in terms of overall tonal balance and detail.

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #3,371 of 10,994
Quote:
I'm kind of on the fence about buying a T1. It is a quite a lot of money.

To which extent would the T1 be an improvement in my rig: Computer -> Corda Cantate DAC/Amp -> Sennheiser HD 600 w. Cardas.

I'm just afraid the T1 might be more a side-grade instead of an upgrade. For that kind of money I really need it to be an improvement on pretty much every aspect sound quality wise against the HD600.

I went from the HD650 and AKG K702 to the T1. I will never ever again go back the T1's are seriously fantastic headphones that can play every genre without hassle. In my opinion they are as close to perfect as a headphone can be especially for an all-rounder.

The improvement is actually not even able to describe with words, the T1's kill the HD650 in my opinion in everything possible.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #3,372 of 10,994
Hi guys , new head-fier here.

I got my Beyer T1 three days ago , and honestly my experience with them wasn't really pleasant :frowning2:

using them with Burson HA-160 , they sounded kinda sharp for me , my ears hurt after using them.(i have Denon d7000 and senns HD650 and i have never experienced fatigue or discomfort after listening sessions with them) .

i had to use the equalizer to lower 7khz a little to make the sound of the T1 bearable.

I read multiple opinions that the pairing of Burson HA-160 and T1 isn't good, but since i already own the HA-160 , i went ahead and bought the T1.

i'm looking to get a new amp for them (Woo Audio WA6)

my question is, will using them with a tube amp make them sound less "sharp" ?
and your opinion of the pairing.

thanks

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #3,373 of 10,994
Quote:
I went from the HD650 and AKG K702 to the T1. I will never ever again go back the T1's are seriously fantastic headphones that can play every genre without hassle. In my opinion they are as close to perfect as a headphone can be especially for an all-rounder.

The improvement is actually not even able to describe with words, the T1's kill the HD650 in my opinion in everything possible.

+1

Although to be fair the HD650/HD600 are very poor phones, purely IMO of course.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #3,374 of 10,994
Quote:
Hi guys , new head-fier here.

I got my Beyer T1 three days ago , and honestly my experience with them wasn't really pleasant :frowning2:

using them with Burson HA-160 , they sounded kinda sharp for me , my ears hurt after using them.(i have Denon d7000 and senns HD650 and i have never experienced fatigue or discomfort after listening sessions with them) .

i had to use the equalizer to lower 7khz a little to make the sound of the T1 bearable.

I read multiple opinions that the pairing of Burson HA-160 and T1 isn't good, but since i already own the HA-160 , i went ahead and bought the T1.

i'm looking to get a new amp for them (Woo Audio WA6)

my question is, will using them with a tube amp make them sound less "sharp" ?
and your opinion of the pairing.

thanks

Yes, the T1 has a weakness-- it can be sharp or hot in the treble. That I believe is the Achilles Heel of an otherwise excellent headphone. But its virtues make it worth it to me: transparency, detail, soundstage, and engagement. Clarity, speed, involvement and, except for it being a little bright, beautiful balance. And sturdy and comfortable. They make good recordings sound great, but they don't play as well with mediocre/bad recordings. I hear this has been a similar complaint with the Sennheiser HD800.  

Regarding amplification: I'm one of those who thinks it does not pair well with the Burson. Both are very bright-- not a good balance, IMO. I do prefer my Woo WA3 OTL tube amp with them. If you plan on keeping the headphone, definitely try a darker or warmer amp with them. You might also look at the thread about T1 damping, to calm the treble. I'd like to hear more from folks who have done that, and how it's working out for them. I might try it, but I'm concerned about potentially losing the delightful and addictive clarity and soundstage. I too own the HD650 and Denon D7000 (I love the Denon), but I find I reach for the T1 more because of what it does right.

By the way, welcome to Head-Fi! And, as they say, sorry about your wallet...

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #3,375 of 10,994
Quote:

+1

Although to be fair the HD650/HD600 are very poor phones, purely IMO of course.

I agree with you the HD650/HD600 are poor headphones in my opinion too. I know some people love them but comparing them against the T1 won't work.
I hear a lot of people complaining about the sharpness in the treble I don't have any problem with this maybe it's my amp I dunno, the sound is really good for me.
But then again it all comes to personal preference..

Damn, I just love the T1 listening to music is so damn much fun after this upgrade.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back