The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 12, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #10,021 of 10,994
  So if you have $2k to spend right now, which one? T1, T1 2nd Gen, HD800, or HD800S? If you like bass?

As always: that depends :wink:
First, just to get that out of the way, none of them is what would delight a basshead. Except for the original HD800 I'd still consider them suitable for EDM or, more generic, electronica.

Regarding budget: do you have a suitable DAC/amp already?
If you want to spend 2k max, I'd go with the HD800S. If you want to get the best sound for your money I'd go with the original T1: while they have slightly less bass than the 2. Gen I still prefer them as they have more character, just something that appeals to me. Many disagree though, and consider the T1.2 the overall better headphone.

And yes, in that price range are several interesting models available, you might want to check out the K812, the TH900 (which has too much bass for my taste, but many love just that). Another interesting Beyerdynamic model is the new T5p 2. Gen., which is actually very good at reproducing nice bass. And does not cost an arm and a leg (OK, just an arm :wink:

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #10,022 of 10,994
  So if you have $2k to spend right now, which one? T1, T1 2nd Gen, HD800, or HD800S? If you like bass?

As the previous post suggested TH-900, will also have change for DAC/AMP if you don't already have them.

I only have the old versions so between them if I want bass then T1, its a more fun headphone to me

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #10,023 of 10,994

If you really like thumping bass, Fostex

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #10,024 of 10,994
I have received my Tesla T1 2nd generation yesterday! These are an amazing headphone! I can't emphasise enough on how superb they really are! The sound almost brings tears to my eyes. Best $1100 USD ever spent! I look forward to reading more of everyone's posts on this great thread! :smile::smile:

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #10,025 of 10,994
I have received my Tesla T1 2nd generation yesterday! These are an amazing headphone! I can't emphasise enough on how superb they really are! The sound almost brings tears to my eyes. Best $1100 USD ever spent! I look forward to reading more of everyone's posts on this great thread! :smile::smile:

You might want to look at this thread for discussion of the gen 2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/776332/new-beyerdynamic-t1-2nd-generation

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #10,027 of 10,994

First, just to get that out of the way, none of them is what would delight a basshead. Except for the original HD800 I'd still consider them suitable for EDM or, more generic, electronica.

If you want to spend 2k max, I'd go with the HD800S. If you want to get the best sound for your money I'd go with the original T1: while they have slightly less bass than the 2. Gen I still prefer them as they have more character, just something that appeals to me. Many disagree though, and consider the T1.2 the overall better headphone.

And yes, in that price range are several interesting models available, you might want to check out the K812, the TH900 (which has too much bass for my taste, but many love just that). Another interesting Beyerdynamic model is the new T5p 2. Gen., which is actually very good at reproducing nice bass. And does not cost an arm and a leg (OK, just an arm :wink:

So out of all of the HD800, HD800S, T1 and T1 2nd, which one has the most Bass? I would assume the T1 2nd?  I never a fan of AKG, their headphones all look ugly to me.  I know the Fostex TH900 has really big Bass, but I dont think it has the mids and highs that the other 4 have.  

Also, isn't the T5P from Beyer one of the worst headphone for that price? Like all of those T5P, T90, etc from Beyers are overprices and sound really bad?  Did they actually make them a lot better with the 2nd Gen?

And wow, just checked Amazon, these T5P are even more expensive than T1? What? I thought T1 is Beyer Flagship headphones?

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #10,028 of 10,994
I've got the t1 & hd800 here now. Don't consider myself a bass head but I like the bass of those two phones. I added some brainwaves velour angled pads to the t1's and nicely improved the bass but overall I think detail retrieval was compromised. For 2k I'd go he6 with speaker amp and call it a day. That combo is best I've heard. Nice tight deep bass and crystal clear sound.

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #10,029 of 10,994
I've got the t1 & hd800 here now. Don't consider myself a bass head but I like the bass of those two phones. I added some brainwaves velour angled pads to the t1's and nicely improved the bass but overall I think detail retrieval was compromised. For 2k I'd go he6 with speaker amp and call it a day. That combo is best I've heard. Nice tight deep bass and crystal clear sound.

Isn't HE6 is Hifiman old headphone? Like it came out a long time ago?  But is it really better than these 4 headphones? I thought those Hifiman headphones are not even in the same league as these 4?

Besides the HE6 is really heavy and uncomfortable on the head.

Mar 12, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #10,030 of 10,994

So out of all of the HD800, HD800S, T1 and T1 2nd, which one has the most Bass? I would assume the T1 2nd?  I never a fan of AKG, their headphones all look ugly to me.  I know the Fostex TH900 has really big Bass, but I dont think it has the mids and highs that the other 4 have.  

Also, isn't the T5P from Beyer one of the worst headphone for that price? Like all of those T5P, T90, etc from Beyers are overprices and sound really bad?  Did they actually make them a lot better with the 2nd Gen?

And wow, just checked Amazon, these T5P are even more expensive than T1? What? I thought T1 is Beyer Flagship headphones?

You will never ever be able to decide what to get by asking people about it. You have to listen. Pick a few favorite song and really listen to them to familiarize yourself with them. Then head to deals, shows, meets, or just buy and sell to try all the headphones. That is the only way you will know. There are many many headphones that would great. No one headphone will have fantastic bass (for a bass head), great miss and great highs. Every headphone has tradeoffs. 

As for the TH900, I have the TH600 as well as the T1.1 and the I think the TH600 compares well to the T1 and provides more powerful pass. It falls down a little on openness and sound stage. From what I understand, the TH900 is better.

You should also consider Audeze LCDs, HiFiMan HE1000 and HE560. Oh, and the PMx2

Finally, you comments on the T5P, T90 and other beyerdynamic headphones makes me wonder if you are just trolling.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #10,031 of 10,994
Anyone looking for more bass from t1 should really check out these braniwavs angled velour pads. They really do turn these phones into a different beast.

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #10,033 of 10,994
  Is T5P the "closed" version of T1? Or just a diff headphone?

No unfortunately not. It has a character all its own. While you will still get the Beyer sound, it is not as spacious as the T1 and the highs are not as refined. If you want a closed headphone that is closest to the refinement and openness of the T1, go TH900. Get's you more bass presence as well. YMMV. Hope this helps. 

For the price of the T5P, go get an Oppo PM3 and HA2 combo. That's more than equal the T5P from a standard phone output. 

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #10,034 of 10,994
Hi,

Just a heads up I'm sadly selling my First Gen T1's due to needing a portable setup for travel.
If you're in Australia and are interested please see here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/802243/beyerdynamic-t1-great-condition

Thanks,
Simon

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #10,035 of 10,994
  For the price of the T5P, go get an Oppo PM3 and HA2 combo. That's more than equal the T5P from a standard phone output. 

I think the T5p2 and the PM3 are quite far apart in their voicing, so a decision between them is more a matter of taste I'd say. I, for one, prefer the T5p2 over the PM3 by a long shot, even directly out of an iPhone or a AK320.

And there's quite a difference between the old T5p and the 2. Gen., the old one was quite... dividing. The new one is much more balanced, I even prefer it to the new T1.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back