The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 4, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #9,991 of 10,994
My T1v1 is No. 15042 and I don't feel the treble has any real harshness to it. I wouldn't mind it a little smoother though. I've had these for 2+ years and I think overall they're excellent headphones with strong detail and great accuracy.

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #9,992 of 10,994
Does anyone know how I would go about getting my T1s recabled so they've removable? I'm in Melbourne so that probably complicates things.

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #9,993 of 10,994
  Does anyone know how I would go about getting my T1s recabled so they've removable? I'm in Melbourne so that probably complicates things.

Comfortable with a little DIY?  Its not that difficult, just time consuming if you never did it before.  I started with my DT-990 premium with a lot of help from @PETEREK and have since done 2 T1's.  I will say that I had the tools available since I also mod computer cases and build furniture for fun.

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #9,994 of 10,994
I'm actually modding my T1 to have removeable cables. All I needed to do was drill two holes in the bottom of each cup, insert a male 1/8' mount, and lock it down. The mod though has not been started as I am waiting for two mounts to come in the mail. Only only cost like $5 in parts, 15 minutes of work..

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #9,995 of 10,994
I have no DIY experience with electronics at all, don't even own a soldering iron.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #9,996 of 10,994
  I'm actually modding my T1 to have removeable cables. All I needed to do was drill two holes in the bottom of each cup, insert a male 1/8' mount, and lock it down. The mod though has not been started as I am waiting for two mounts to come in the mail. Only only cost like $5 in parts, 15 minutes of work..

I went the harder way, mini-XLR so I could also use my cables from LCD-2

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #9,998 of 10,994
It's supper easy man. If you lived in the US, I'd do the mod for free.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #10,000 of 10,994
I absolutely love the T1 V1.  When I go back to my other headphones, they sound foggy.  The detail and clarity on the T1 is just miles better, as is the imaging.  My other 2 are closed headphones.   I'm thinking about selling them and getting the Beyerdynamic T5p.  I'm hoping to have a comparable open and closed choice of listening.  I'm wondering if the V1 is also preferable to the V2 for the T5p?  I don't see much feedback out there.

There's a dedicated thread for the T5p2 with some feedback V1 vs. V2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/791328/new-beyerdynamic-t5p-2nd-generation/285

To me (and many others) the new T5p is much better than the original version, much more balanced. YMMV of course...

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #10,001 of 10,994
Well, I finally got the try my T1s with the recommend EDT990VB pads and I have to say, ouch. The T1s were really harsh with these pads. I had to equalize 8K down 3db. I put the 770 pads back on and highs were better. I then put on my J$ pads, and wow! The T1 is now almost a bass head headphone with detail and clarity, AND the harshness is gone for me! Awesome. 

I'm sur not everyone will like this sound, but to me, it's perfect. The J$ pads aren't available anymore, but maybe the EDT770S might work as well.

I think Pad rolling is way better than tube rolling. :)

Update: The J4 with the T1 was too dark; almost Sennheiser dark, so I went back to the EDT770 pads, which have just the right mix of detail and bass to me.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #10,004 of 10,994
I just replaced my pads with the braniwavs velour angled pads and I'm getting good results. 24-25$ on amazon

Interesting. I have some of those too, but I didn't try them due to angled drivers plus angled pads seemed like it might be much. I notice you put the thick part of the pads on the top rather than the more traditional rear. How's that working out?

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #10,005 of 10,994
Interesting. I have some of those too, but I didn't try them due to angled drivers plus angled pads seemed like it might be much. I notice you put the thick part of the pads on the top rather than the more traditional rear. How's that working out?
Yep, noticed it right after I posted the picture. Turned them around. Bass is enhanced but I believe some detail retrieval is lost. Treble issue is non existent with these pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back