The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 7, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #10,006 of 10,994
  I know you all might hate me, but I might jump the T1 ship as they aren't my favorite headphone anymore. Don't take this the wrong way, they are still one of my favorites, but lately the HD800 has just stolen me away from them.

Now I might upgrade eventually to the second gen. T1, but I'd have to hear them first to make sure they are to my liking. Heck, I might just pick up some of the memory foam ear pads for my T1 and hope it gives a similar signature.

Oh and my T1 headband finally failed me. Thing just fell apart. I guess it really is time to get these repaired.

Wow, this means a lot to me, coming from you! :wink:

So weird that your headband fell apart. I've been using my T1 daily for over 4 years now and everything is still in excellent condition.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #10,007 of 10,994

Wow, this means a lot to me, coming from you! :wink:

So weird that your headband fell apart. I've been using my T1 daily for over 4 years now and everything is still in excellent condition.

I won't actually jump ship, but the HD800 is now my preferred headphone. They fix some issues I had with the T1, mainly the treble and midrange. The T1 will still stay in my stable for along time. I might even get the Gen 2 model :wink:

Yeah, the headband split down the middle. I decided to just pull it off and put a DT990 headband one it for the moment.

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #10,008 of 10,994
I have T1s and love them but I do have a couple of questions. First, how can different ear pads affect the overall sound of the T1s since they are over the ear? I can see where on the ear they could change the sound but if they totally surround the ear and only provide a seal of sorts what can change? 

Next question concerns IEMs. I am slowly gathering better quality components for my FLAC collection. I am feeding my T1s from an iFi iDSD Micro off my Iphone 6+ with JRemote or laptop with JRMC and really like the results. What universal IEMs woulld have a similar sound to the T1s using that setup? I am looking at the new Oriveti Primacy and Dunu 2000J but have no way of auditioning them or any other IEMs. My only IEMs are a pair of Klipsch S4i i bought several years ago. They hiss badly using the iPhone.    

Thanks!
Dave

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #10,009 of 10,994
  I have T1s and love them but I do have a couple of questions. First, how can different ear pads affect the overall sound of the T1s since they are over the ear? I can see where on the ear they could change the sound but if they totally surround the ear and only provide a seal of sorts what can change? 

Thanks!
Dave

I think the sound is dampened after it leaves the driver. Depending on the size and material, the sound is dampened differently with different pads. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #10,010 of 10,994

Thanks!
Dave

Different material have different acoustic properties in addition to the seal that is created.  Also, different frequencies react differently to different materials

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #10,011 of 10,994
Hi all,

A new and proud T1 owner here; and, must admit, I am positively surprised. I have made wrong assumptions based on the slightly but steadily decreasing prices of these german beasts. I mean when they came out they were pretty much the same price as the HD800 and now you can get a new pair for 700$ if memory serves me right on amazon.com.

As a previous Hd800 owner I keep my eyes on the prices of them and they have barely decreased. Long story short, I can't stop listening to them (the T1 I mean). They are super comfortable as well. Got two questions though:

What is the best choice for replacement earpads? (Mine is second hand) Is it true, that the 2nd Generation T1 have better earpads?

Also, if I want to recable them for a shorter, slimmer cable, is there anyone or any company to perform that?

Thank You!

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #10,012 of 10,994
  Hi all,

A new and proud T1 owner here; and, must admit, I am positively surprised. I have made wrong assumptions based on the slightly but steadily decreasing prices of these german beasts. I mean when they came out they were pretty much the same price as the HD800 and now you can get a new pair for 700$ if memory serves me right on amazon.com.

As a previous Hd800 owner I keep my eyes on the prices of them and they have barely decreased. Long story short, I can't stop listening to them (the T1 I mean). They are super comfortable as well. Got two questions though:

What is the best choice for replacement earpads? (Mine is second hand) Is it true, that the 2nd Generation T1 have better earpads?

Also, if I want to recable them for a shorter, slimmer cable, is there anyone or any company to perform that?

Thank You!

For the cable:  one of the best is PeterEK here on head-fi, would recommend making the cables removable so you will have a choice is the future.

Ear pads: amazon is a good place

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #10,013 of 10,994
  Hi all,

Thank You!

If you read backward in the thread just a little you will see that the EDT770 pads as well as the Brainwave HM5 pads have been recommended. If you want the beyerdynamic recommended pads, get the EDT990VB. Markertek may have the best price on those. I prefer the 770 pads as I think they help attenuate the treble spike, but I might try the 990 pads and some of the dampening mods. 

As for the cable, try a simple braid first and see if that resolve your cable length issue. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #10,014 of 10,994
  Hi all,

Thank You!

The prices have been reducing most likely because vendors want to liquidate their stock as they are discontinued headphones (replaced by the version 2 T1s).

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #10,016 of 10,994
Interesting. Thanks for the feedbacks. I think I will give a try to the 770 earpads when the time comes.

I wouldn't. The DT770 is a closed back headphone. The pads are very different to those for the T1 or even those for the DT990.

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #10,017 of 10,994
  Interesting. Thanks for the feedbacks. I think I will give a try to the 770 earpads when the time comes.

Ear pads have a lot of influence on the sound specially for bass. The original is EDT T1V not easy to find...

A best fit is EDT990VB (black) or EDT990V if you prefer a touch of grey !

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/ohrmuschelsatz-34.html

When you are in Europe, you can get those do not use the foam disk :
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/edt-t1v.html
http://www.thomann.de/fr/beyerdynamic_dt990_ersatzohrpolster.htm?
http://www.thomann.de/fr/beyerdynamic_dt990_pro_velourohrpolster.htm?  (*)

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #10,018 of 10,994

Yep, I have both. I prefer the 770 pads over the beyerdynamic EDT990 pads for my T1. Sound is a personal preference and pad rolling is an easy way to alter the sound to achieve best personal preference

I wouldn't. The DT770 is a closed back headphone. The pads are very different to those for the T1 or even those for the DT990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back