The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 2, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #9,946 of 10,994
Brooko I read the link you posted (thank you) and now wonder if I really heard what I thought I heard. I will transcode the FLAC to MP3 and see if the sound difference is still there. Got some checking to do! It may be just finally having an amp (iDSD) for the T1 and not the format difference. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #9,947 of 10,994
Cool - just mentioned it because it'll be interesting for you to know your own thresholds.  Then you can make decisions about what really matters.  Can be handy especially with portable listening.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #9,948 of 10,994
  Brooko I read the link you posted (thank you) and now wonder if I really heard what I thought I heard. I will transcode the FLAC to MP3 and see if the sound difference is still there. Got some checking to do! It may be just finally having an amp (iDSD) for the T1 and not the format difference. 

you can also use the samples provided by Philips as part of their Golden Ears challenge.  That was an interesting (and humbling) experience for me and my rig.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #9,949 of 10,994
I'm dreading the day my T1's die. They are just, sublime. Bought and/or tested the LCD2, LCD3, HD800, K702, T1v2 and more, and ultimately my original, slightly worn, very old, overly used pair of T1's (v1) are still by far my fave pair of cans. I really want to get a frequency graph of them recorded somewhere, so I can look for this curve if ever I need to buy a replacement. I feel like the pair I have are a particular beautiful copy, because as I've said so many times, they have none of that harshness up top that other T1's have been criticised for. Mine are sweet and smooth up top, smoother even than my Hd800's, or the T1v2's I've now returned. To have exactly what mine sound like, with a touch of added sub bass presence and quantity (which I currently EQ in), and you pretty much have perfection.

I'm going to try and grab a pair of the new HD800S's just so I can compare. Who knows, maybe they will be the cans that finally top my cherished T1's! The HD800's certainly offer one thing that the T1's I have can't compete with, and that's the soundstage. In this respect the HD800's are simply unmatched, but in overall musical enjoyment? I pick my T1's above all the others in my collection most times out of ten.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #9,950 of 10,994
I'm dreading the day my T1's die. They are just, sublime. Bought and/or tested the LCD2, LCD3, HD800, K702, T1v2 and more, and ultimately my original, slightly worn, very old, overly used pair of T1's (v1) are still by far my fave pair of cans. I really want to get a frequency graph of them recorded somewhere, so I can look for this curve if ever I need to buy a replacement. I feel like the pair I have are a particular beautiful copy, because as I've said so many times, they have none of that harshness up top that other T1's have been criticised for. Mine are sweet and smooth up top, smoother even than my Hd800's, or the T1v2's I've now returned. To have exactly what mine sound like, with a touch of added sub bass presence and quantity (which I currently EQ in), and you pretty much have perfection.

I'm going to try and grab a pair of the new HD800S's just so I can compare. Who knows, maybe they will be the cans that finally top my cherished T1's! The HD800's certainly offer one thing that the T1's I have can't compete with, and that's the soundstage. In this respect the HD800's are simply unmatched, but in overall musical enjoyment? I pick my T1's above all the others in my collection most times out of ten.

What's your T1's serial number?

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #9,954 of 10,994
  Anyone try the T1 with EDT 770 velour pads?

While they will fit I think they are only suitable for a closed headphone. Do you have any special plans with these specific pads?
The pads of the original T1 go by "EDT T1V" btw., they only recently got their own part number.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #9,955 of 10,994

While they will fit I think they are only suitable for a closed headphone. Do you have any special plans with these specific pads?
The pads of the original T1 go by "EDT T1V" btw., they only recently got their own part number.

I need some new pads and I have an extra pair EDT 770. Are the T1V pads different from the EDT 990 pads? Are the T1V pads for the get 2 T1? The T1v pads aren't available int he USA yet, it appears. If the 770 pads sounded bd, I was just going to get the EDT 990 VB pads, since that is what beyer seems to recommend for the T1

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #9,956 of 10,994

I need some new pads and I have an extra pair EDT 770. Are the T1V pads different from the EDT 990 pads? Are the T1V pads for the get 2 T1? The T1v pads aren't available int he USA yet, it appears. If the 770 pads sounded bd, I was just going to get the EDT 990 VB pads, since that is what beyer seems to recommend for the T1

This is all very complicated...
Pads are different between T1 (pads are EDT T1V) and T1.2 (pads are EDT T1G2), structure, inner and outer material. Beyer says "don't get them mixed up".
Before the EDT T1V were available, Beyer recommended the EDT 990 V or EDT 990 VB for the T1 as well. The outer material was slightly different (besides the EDT 990 V being grey of course). So if the EDT T1 V is not available I'd go for the EDT 990 VB instead.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #9,957 of 10,994

OK, there's nothing like just trying. I put the 770 pads on the T1 and they sound good to me. They might even smooth out the treble a little.

Still, I'l like to know what the deal is the the T1.1, T1.2 the EDT990 and EDTT1 pads. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #9,958 of 10,994
Hi everyone, as i know there was some changes made to T1 after ~3900 serial, even goldenears seems to have retested them, though i don't know exactly why they done it.

Anyone knows what was tuned, driver or some internal design? Thinking about getting second hand, need to know what is my risks.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #9,959 of 10,994
  Hi everyone, as i know there was some changes made to T1 after ~3900 serial, even goldenears seems to have retested them, though i don't know exactly why they done it.

Anyone knows what was tuned, driver or some internal design? Thinking about getting second hand, need to know what is my risks.

Thanks in advance!

It's hard to tell.
Part of the early T1s had some serious problems (awful driver matching and frequency response inconsistency)

Most measurements I've seen suggest that late T1s are warmer (closer to the T1 v2) and have pretty good driver matching.

Can't say much about frequency response consistency within late T1s since there aren't many measurements out there
(and measurements made with different equipment/compensation are really tricky to compare)

I really would like to have a second T1 to measure and compare.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #9,960 of 10,994
Maybe you know the reason of the problem, it is driver itself or some internals design? Seller says that they were in Beyer service for driver replacement, drivers definitely should be recent one i think, so would this mean that signature will be "fixed", also it is interesting do beyer do some serious after service test (as i know no freq. response graph was included after repair).

T1 is not a cheap buy, so i try to figure it out as much as possible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back