The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 19, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #7,471 of 10,994
Just got my Woo WA2 used today, all of a sudden my T1 rise from an underdog to become the Star...oh boy oh boy.
It sound so good with WA2 while my LCD2 come second but by quite margin and LCD-XC become the worst (veiled, feel like not enough juice to power it).
Everything just sound so big, clear, textured, depth, the bass is so right...WoW, can't believe T1 can sound this good, as good as LCD-2 with Alo PanAm or LCD-XC with 2A3, even better...will it be better if I plug it into the speaker out...hmmmmm.
o2smile.gif

So its true...different amps work better with different cans...damn, where will it end
triportsad.gif

May 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #7,472 of 10,994
  Just got my Woo WA2 used today, all of a sudden my T1 rise from an underdog to become the Star...oh boy oh boy.
It sound so good with WA2 while my LCD2 come second but by quite margin and LCD-XC become the worst (veiled, feel like not enough juice to power it).
Everything just sound so big, clear, textured, depth, the bass is so right...WoW, can't believe T1 can sound this good, as good as LCD-2 with Alo PanAm or LCD-XC with 2A3, even better...will it be better if I plug it into the speaker out...hmmmmm.
o2smile.gif

So its true...different amps work better with different cans...damn, where will it end
triportsad.gif

It never ends...oh it never ends
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #7,473 of 10,994
triportsad.gif

Congratulations on finding a great match. System synergy is everything.  Once you find it, never let it go! 
wink.gif

May 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #7,475 of 10,994
more power always wins... why don't all hi-end headphone amps come with at least 5 watts output.  is a bare minimum to provide 1 clean watt of music in my opinion.  too many headphone amps are terribly under-powered.

May 19, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #7,476 of 10,994
Being a part of this club might be short-lived for me. I just got my T1 in the mail and it is AMAZING. But the girly isn't too happy about the purchase.. 

What is considered a low serial number for these? I got them from Beyerdynamic on eBay in MINT condition. My serial number is below 5000.

May 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #7,478 of 10,994
Everything just sound so big, clear, textured, depth, the bass is so right...WoW, can't believe T1 can sound this good, as good as LCD-2 with Alo PanAm or LCD-XC with 2A3, even better...will it be better if I plug it into the speaker out...hmmmmm.:o2smile:

So its true...different amps work better with different cans...damn, where will it end:triportsad:

It's fun finding out isn't it? :)

May 19, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #7,479 of 10,994
  Wondering how much improvement after changed to balanced cable and a balanced Amp.

I've posted this before but might as well do it again:

Regarding balanced, our own resident EE, KWKARTH has said, "Someplace around here at least a year or more ago, I posted the genesis of balanced headphone amplifiers.  It was a brilliant business decision, allowing the company create a new product of higher performance from bridging the outputs from amplifier modules already on hand in stock without having to completely redesign.  If I can find it, I will provide a link."      http://www.head-fi.org/t/539458/why-balanced-headphone-amps

and then went on to say, "Yes, I think this thing took on a life of it's own and pretty soon companies started to realize they could sell more gear at higher profits if they made the gear "balanced."     http://www.head-fi.org/t/539458/why-balanced-headphone-amps

And from Benchmark engineer Elias Gwinn :

"The result of balanced headphones is less damping factor, more distortion, and more noise. Also, balanced headphones configurations offer no real benefits, to boot."  ....    [ http://www.head-fi.org/t/576339/balanced-vs-single-ended-poll ]

So there you have it from Benchmark and our own resident Elect. Engineer KWKARTH.  Gives you something to think about.

May 19, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #7,480 of 10,994
  more power always wins... why don't all hi-end headphone amps come with at least 5 watts output.  is a bare minimum to provide 1 clean watt of music in my opinion.  too many headphone amps are terribly under-powered.

As much as I love powerful amps (owning several Digam K10 :wink: I don't see the necessity of that output power for headphones. Ever looked at the power handling capacity of e.g. the T1? A mere 300mW. While I'm strongly opposed to driving an amp to its limit because of dynamic compression the T1 by no means needs more than 600mW to be driven to its limits. Its max. output is rated as 126dB...

The A2 provides 170mW @250Ohm and 100mW @600Ohm, the T1 sounds phenomenal in that configuration...

More important than absolute power is the amount of clean (i.e. distortion free) power an amp can provide (obviously not speaking about tube amps :wink:
I'm in love with the Phonitor 2 providing a dynamic range of >133dB. I don't care its max power at 600Ohm is just 65mW... more than loud enough.

May 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #7,482 of 10,994
  agree, it is ultimately about clean power... i mention powerful amps as the answer because it takes something designed to put out 5 watts to make you 600mW sound good usually.

Clean power is clear power regardless how much is the max output power. You can have a 5W power supply but still is dirty even if it only supplies sub 500mW of power.

It's not true more power is clean power. And why would you need 1W for T1?

May 20, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #7,483 of 10,994
I did a little test with my fiancee tonight. Occasionally I get her opinion on headphones, etc.

I've been using the T1s with Bottlehead Mainline and LCD 2s with Bottlehead S.E.X. for some time now and have fully upgraded the caps in both amps. I have a hard time choosing which rig I prefer so I thought I'd see what someone else thinks. After multiple swaps between cans with multiple different tracks, it was a clear win for the T1s to her ears because of the space / transparency of the sound and because of the size and lightness too. Yet another win for the T1s! (That said, I don't know if I could choose between the T1s and LCD2s in my current setups - I love them both equally I think, but for different reasons)

May 20, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #7,484 of 10,994
  I did a little test with my fiancee tonight. Occasionally I get her opinion on headphones, etc.

I've been using the T1s with Bottlehead Mainline and LCD 2s with Bottlehead S.E.X. for some time now and have fully upgraded the caps in both amps. I have a hard time choosing which rig I prefer so I thought I'd see what someone else thinks. After multiple swaps between cans with multiple different tracks, it was a clear win for the T1s to her ears because of the space / transparency of the sound and because of the size and lightness too. Yet another win for the T1s! (That said, I don't know if I could choose between the T1s and LCD2s in my current setups - I love them both equally I think, but for different reasons)

T1 will always win against a LDC 2 (in my case also against LCD 3). Your Fiancee is a very sensible lady.

May 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #7,485 of 10,994

T1 will always win against a LDC 2 (in my case also against LCD 3). Your Fiancee is a very sensible lady.

Interesting, so you preferred the T1 than the LCD-3? I haven't heard the LCD-3, but I imagine it to be a significant improvement over LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back