The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 19, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #1,276 of 10,994
Yup the T1's. IMO they don't benefit from a recable so that's why I don't do them. Just save yourself some money and keep them stock :wink:.

Quote:
Wondering if you're talking about the T-1s? 
confused.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #1,277 of 10,994

Quote:
Yup the T1's. IMO they don't benefit from a recable so that's why I don't do them. Just save yourself some money and keep them stock :wink:.

Have you recabled your T1's before? If so with what kind of cable? Bare in mind even among cables there's a drastic differences in quality and kind. The T1's are AWG24 copper, Furutech 6.3 terminated, which is indeed good. But who knows what some silver thrown in, or higher quality copper could do. Even switching from a copper to a silver plated over soft copper LOD I've noticed a very slight difference in quality (slightly better bass, clearer sound). But yes, need more impressions from people who have recabled, most notably with AWG18/22 copper or silver.

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,278 of 10,994

Quote:

Have you recabled your T1's before? If so with what kind of cable? Bare in mind even among cables there's a drastic differences in quality and kind. The T1's are AWG24 copper, Furutech 6.3 terminated, which is indeed good. But who knows what some silver thrown in, or higher quality copper could do. Even switching from a copper to a silver plated over soft copper LOD I've noticed a very slight difference in quality (slightly better bass, clearer sound). But yes, need more impressions from people who have recabled, most notably with AWG18/22 copper or silver.

I think that's the best thing you've said so far. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #1,280 of 10,994
Yes I tried a few different kinds of wire.

I used UPOCC copper from Double Helix Cables as well as SXC from ALO. The SXC made them brighter (but not in a bad way) and the UPOCC really didn't do anything on them. It kind of caught me off guard because I thought there'd be some improvement but there wasn't. I also tried some SPC from ebay which made them sound horrendously bright and brittle and a very short SCS cable which if anything made them sound a tad less full and brighter sounding. The silver also lessened the bass impact but the treble gained more extension. I ended up coming to the conclusion that recabling was not needed

Quote:

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #1,281 of 10,994

Quote:

I used UPOCC copper from Double Helix Cables as well as SXC from ALO. The SXC made them brighter (but not in a bad way) and the UPOCC really didn't do anything on them. It kind of caught me off guard because I thought there'd be some improvement but there wasn't. I also tried some SPC from ebay which made them sound horrendously bright and brittle and a very short SCS cable which if anything made them sound a tad less full and brighter sounding. The silver also lessened the bass impact but the treble gained more extension. I ended up coming to the conclusion that recabling was not needed

I appreciate your post. Looks like you just saved me some money, unless of course others want to chime in with impressions. All I have is the word of a cabler who did mention his silver cables open up the soundstage, bass and details of the T1 over the stock cable. Not really sure what to make of it all.

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #1,282 of 10,994

Quote:

You did all this to your own T-1s?

Quote:
I appreciate your post. Looks like you just saved me some money, unless of course others want to chime in with impressions. All I have is the word of a cabler who did mention his silver cables open up the soundstage, bass and details of the T1 over the stock cable. Not really sure what to make of it all.

Sure you do.  You know what conflicting reports mean.......

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #1,283 of 10,994
Bare in mind, Ken from ALO does sell the T1's and surprisingly (unlike the HD800's and LCD-2's) does not sell the T1's with cable options. He has also said (to the guys at 6Moon Audio) that the T1's cable is among the best he's ever seen on a production/commercially produced headphone. So the lack of differences in quality from recabling could be more to do with the quality of the T1's default cable as oppose to the lack of quality from other high end cable options.

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #1,284 of 10,994

Quote:

first, Naim is using a SR71A when he said it was bright up top.

second, my question about how one knows a cable is good wasnt serious. it was to prove  apoint.  how does Frank (whom i respect), KNOW the stock cable is good if he hasnt tried any other cable on the T1? does he think the stock cable is good because of its thickness? connector? because it sounds good already? 

so.. yea... eh this isnt worth it. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #1,286 of 10,994

Quote:
My reason to recable would be to reduce the weight. Anyone have an option that might be a touch brighter sounding and lighter weight than stock?

I'd say silver wiring based on what I've used and read. You generally don't need as thick a cables. Saying that, I honestly don't find the T1's stock cable to be particularly heavy personally, though I appreciate it's different strokes for different folks.

On a side note, the post above about conflicting reports. This is a forum, for discussion, debate and opinions, there will always be conflicting reports, ESPECIALLY about audio as it is such a subjective thing. Not only in terms of different tastes, but also biologically speaking in the sense that everyone's hearing and sensitivities will be different. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #1,287 of 10,994

Quote:
Bare in mind, Ken from ALO does sell the T1's and surprisingly (unlike the HD800's and LCD-2's) does not sell the T1's with cable options. He has also said (to the guys at 6Moon Audio) that the T1's cable is among the best he's ever seen on a production/commercially produced headphone. So the lack of differences in quality from recabling could be more to do with the quality of the T1's default cable as oppose to the lack of quality from other high end cable options.

OK.  So this person from ALO sells T-1s and he also sells expensive cable.

As soon as someone says they're selling something, I stop listening, don't you ? 
confused.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #1,288 of 10,994

Quote:

As soon as someone says they're selling something, I stop listening, don't you ? 
confused.gif

I think the point that is being highlighted here is preciously that even though the guy sells expensive cable he doesn't want to sell them to you with the T1,I don't know about you but usually that means a lot when a sales person is trying hard to NOT sell something to you.  

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #1,289 of 10,994

Quote:

confused.gif

Well, you could approach it with pessimism like that yes, and perhaps you'd be wise to. But then there's also the argument that as someone who sells these things and R&D's them on a daily basis, he has infinitely more experience with these things than any of us, he'd be much more versed in the field to talk about the differences than you or I.

I know you're getting at this notion that cables make no difference and it's all placebo, peer pressure etc (as you have PM'd me), but I know this not to be true as I have personally tested numerous different cables, often A/B'ing them on the spot (such as with my removable cables for the SE535) and definitely have heard sonic differences. Admittedly they're not always obvious, but they are (depending on the cables) there. I have no idea what the stock SE535 cable is made of, but I bought a silver one for it, and upon comparing both, I preferred the stock cable for it's warmer sound and slightly more emphasised bass. The silver however did have a slightly more airy presentation and was perhaps a touch cleaner. Probably a matter of taste as to which someone would prefer, but I can vouch for the fact that I did personally hear a difference, though it was indeed quite a small one.

The seller (eBay) mentioned the silver cable would increase high's, bass and soundstage, I did not find that to be completely the case (mainly the bass part, though the rest was relatively true). So yes, sometimes sellers might exaggerate claims, but I don't think that should be reason to shrug off all user opinions and possibilities either.

Just my take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back