The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 15, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #1,246 of 10,994

Quote:
I don't think it does the T1 justice to say that they just don't do anything wrong.  I think they do everything well.   Just because no one aspect stands out doesn't mean they aren't proficient at everything.  The balanced sound, the neutral presentaion, the non overwhelming but ever present bass, the crisp extendeed highs without sibilance (to my ears), the speed, clarity, transparancy, sound stage; not only don't they do anything wrong, they do a whole lot better than most.  Now that is MAGIC.

Yea, either way. I mean there is nothing that the T1 does not excel at, unlike many headphones which can be jaw dropping for one particular thing and just okay for something else (HD800 for classical vs metal, for instance). It has the magic of making everything sound beautiful and natural. But there is some special magic that you can only get elsewhere, like the LCD-2's super powerful and seductive presentation. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #1,247 of 10,994

Quote:
So I'm listening to my T1 with the WA6.  I can see how people say these aren't WOW headphones, but everything is very effortless and transparent.  The biggest difference I noticed is that I think I finally get what people mean by the sound coming from outside, and not inside, of the head that most headphones tends to do.  And probably thanks to the heavily angled driver the sense of depth of the overall 3D imaging is definitely much greater than the other 2 headphones I currently have, with a touch of subtle crossfeed using DSP the illusion of being enveloped by sound is a new sensation I'm enjoying very much though.  

both your amps are not "ideal" amps for the t1. try ut on a quality OTL amp and they sing

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #1,248 of 10,994

Quote:
both your amps are not "ideal" amps for the t1. try ut on a quality OTL amp and they sing

It's hard to imagine it gets any better but I would definitely like to give a OTL amp a go with the T1, though right now just after some brief listening I can already see myself build one system around the T1 and be done with it for a long time, it really does everything I throw at it well.  Maybe I should just sell my other gears and use the funds to go for a WA2.  

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #1,249 of 10,994

Quote:
It's hard to imagine it gets any better but I would definitely like to give a OTL amp a go with the T1, though right now just after some brief listening I can already see myself build one system around the T1 and be done with it for a long time, it really does everything I throw at it well.  Maybe I should just sell my other gears and use the funds to go for a WA2.  

Quote:

I've always thought that the Woo Audio WA6 and the WA2 were excellent amps for the T1. I don't own a T1 so my impressions of the T1 have been based solely on Head-Fi posts which have been very helpful.

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #1,250 of 10,994
I think its a myth that the T1's need an OTL amp. That opinion is based on the fact that OTL amps generally work very well with high impedance headphones but in my experience to say that the T1's need an OTL amp to sound there best is misleading.
I use a Woo6se and it sounds superb with the T1's and my Audio-gd Roc sound excellent as well even using single ended output.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #1,251 of 10,994
So just for fun, here are some songs I know very well that have made my jaw drop being played from the T1s:

Erotomania - Dream Theater
Little Motel - Modest Mouse
Biko - Bloc Party
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
Between Two Lungs - Florence & The Machine
A Fair Judgment - Opeth
The Girl In The Other Room - Diana Krall
Run - Leona Lewis
Mombasa - Hans Zimmer
Trains - Porcupine Tree
Separator - Radiohead
Strip My Mind - Red Hot Chilli Pepper
Cheers Darlin - Damien Rice
Angel - Massive Attack
Yellow Brick Road - Angus & Julia Stone

As you can see my jaw has been dropping quite a bit. Listening to Erotomania for the first time was one of the most euphoric audio experiences I've ever had.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #1,252 of 10,994
I think its a myth that the T1's need an OTL amp. That opinion is based on the fact that OTL amps generally work very well with high impedance headphones but in my experience to say that the T1's need an OTL amp to sound there best is misleading.
I use a Woo6se and it sounds superb with the T1's and my Audio-gd Roc sound excellent as well even using single ended output.

Have u tried it on a quality otl? I'm sure they're good on other amps but try it with an otl and then decide. I've tried it on a few types and prefer the otl. Its not night and day but its my preference.

Zombiex has a roc and wa3 and thought he preferred the roc but in the end preferred the wa3. If I remember correctly. In any case I'm not saying its necessary, just saying if someone is not wow'd by how good these are, it might be due to the amp or source (mainly amps imo)

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #1,253 of 10,994

Quote:

I listened to the Woo 6SE  a couple of time and I can say without any doubt the CSP-2 Decware OTL sounded much better than the Woo and that is why I purchased it.  The 6SE tubes compliment is kind of off base and the SET OTL of my Decware won me over.YOMV

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #1,254 of 10,994

Quote:
I listened to the Woo 6SE  a couple of time and I can say without any doubt the CSP-2 Decware OTL sounded much better than the Woo and that is why I purchased it.  The 6SE tubes compliment is kind of off base and the SET OTL of my Decware won me over.YOMV

I know you are a tube lover Frank I so maybe what swung it for you is the fact that the Woo6se is one of the most SS sounding tube amps you can get. I assume the CSP-2 is more tube like in its presentation which could explain why you preferred it.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #1,255 of 10,994

Quote:
I know you are a tube lover Frank I so maybe what swung it for you is the fact that the Woo6se is one of the most SS sounding tube amps you can get. I assume the CSP-2 is more tube like in its presentation which could explain why you preferred it.

Agree. The Woo 6Se sound like a SS amp. The CSP is a traditional tube amp and the tubes are more common also. I like SET tubes amps and OTL Designs. I can also use the Taboo but they do not need that power. I think the Woo 6SE is a great amp but the T1 IMo sounds much better on the CSP-2

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #1,256 of 10,994
Both are exceptional amps and the Roc does a great job of driving them, but the WA3+ (before mods) does a far better job of driving them. The WA3+ opened up the soundstage, made the imaging better, tightened up the bass further, and gave them a model tube like sound.

Quote:
Zombiex has a roc and wa3 and thought he preferred the roc but in the end preferred the wa3. If I remember correctly. In any case I'm not saying its necessary, just saying if someone is not wow'd by how good these are, it might be due to the amp or source (mainly amps imo)

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #1,257 of 10,994

Quote:
Have u tried it on a quality otl? I'm sure they're good on other amps but try it with an otl and then decide. I've tried it on a few types and prefer the otl. Its not night and day but its my preference.

I think the source is equally important and you would be surprised how they react to different interconnects also. Remember the T1 will reveal any flaws in the system one way or the other. Bad recordings also will sound bad. I have some older recorded CD's I wont use anymore because they sound awful.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #1,258 of 10,994

Quote:
I don't think it does the T1 justice to say that they just don't do anything wrong.  I think they do everything well.   Just because no one aspect stands out doesn't mean they aren't proficient at everything.  The balanced sound, the neutral presentaion, the non overwhelming but ever present bass, the crisp extendeed highs without sibilance (to my ears), the speed, clarity, transparancy, sound stage; not only don't they do anything wrong, they do a whole lot better than most.  Now that is MAGIC.

beerchug.gif

I've been saying that since January 2010 and still believe it!

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #1,259 of 10,994

The T1's really are near sonic balance perfection for me. I've never had to EQ a phone or IEM so little as I have with these. The balance is almost, almost perfect. I increase EQ ever so slightly in the lower frequencies to add some bass quantity and decrease at 128hz ever so slightly to add some weight to the vocals and a teeny bit of added clarity, but besides these very minor changes (that are not required at all, rather just personal taste), it's pretty much flawless. 

I'm sure with a better amp it would be even better. SR-71A does valiantly, but I doubt the cans would say no to more power.

If I was forced to note possible improvements for these cans, I'd ask for just a bit more thickness in vocals, more bass quantity and just slightly less sharp high's, but it's the closest thing to a perfectly balanced can I've personally heard. I am by nature a bass junky, so some of you might not want any more bass. Also, a wider soundstage couldn't be bad, not that they aren't wide enough, but I do love a spacious stage!

I'd have taken DSLR shots (will come later with my reviews), but for now these iPhone shots will have to do!

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #1,260 of 10,994
D@mn, the more i read the more i want it. From all the flaghship threads the T1 is peaking my interest the most. Must be the talk about the sonic balance/neutrality.

Quote:
So just for fun, here are some songs I know very well that have made my jaw drop being played from the T1s:

Erotomania - Dream Theater
Little Motel - Modest Mouse
Biko - Bloc Party
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
Between Two Lungs - Florence & The Machine
A Fair Judgment - Opeth
The Girl In The Other Room - Diana Krall
Run - Leona Lewis
Mombasa - Hans Zimmer
Trains - Porcupine Tree
Separator - Radiohead
Strip My Mind - Red Hot Chilli Pepper
Cheers Darlin - Damien Rice
Angel - Massive Attack
Yellow Brick Road - Angus & Julia Stone

As you can see my jaw has been dropping quite a bit. Listening to Erotomania for the first time was one of the most euphoric audio experiences I've ever had.

That is some good news. Though i havent heard these songs, i really like DT. Prog metal, DT and Pagans Minds mostly, is getting more and more rotation the last  few months.
A friend of mine and het boyfriend had Porcupine tree running in the background when i was at their place, sounded pretty interesting.

Naim, could you do comparison vs the T50RP, not in the same league im sure but still interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back