The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 20, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #1,291 of 10,994

Quote:
Well, you could approach it with pessimism like that yes, and perhaps you'd be wise to. But then there's also the argument that as someone who sells these things and R&D's them on a daily basis, he has infinitely more experience with these things than any of us, he'd be much more versed in the field to talk about the differences than you or I.

<snip>

Just my take.

You have me at a loss, I'm not aware of any of the big cable makers like Cardas, Belden, Mogami making any claims regarding audible differences between their cables.

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #1,292 of 10,994

Quote:
You have me at a loss, I'm not aware of any of the big cable makers like Cardas, Belden, Mogami making any claims regarding audible differences between their cables.

Cardas has said in interviews he sticks with copper because he feels, among other things, that it sounds better than silver. Ken at ALO describes the differences of sonic attributes between his different cables too.

Example.

Quote:
Here are George Cardas' 2 cents on the subject:

"Q&A with George Cardas

jude: All of your interconnects are made with copper conductors. And in one of your catalogs is the following quote: "Copper has proven to be the best conductor for an audio signal..." Lately there has been a strong emphasis on silver conductors by many cable manufacturers. In general, do you consider copper a better conductor for an audio signal than silver?

George Cardas: In general, yes. We make the majority of all the ultra pure copper and silver used in high-end audio; but I choose to use only the ultra pure, ultra soft copper in my personal products.

jude: Why?

George Cardas: For starters, it sounds better. Silver is the best DC conductor, but, embodiment for embodiment, it is more inductive than copper. This trait, combined with its inherently lower loss, accounts for the bright, fatiguing quality of most of the silver cables (silver has approximately 5% more skin effect than copper). There have been many attempts at silver cables but little success. I think the problem in part is the cost of doing a proper conductor out of the metal. By the time the manufacturer buys the metal, there is little budget for a properly designed conductor; so they just use a monofilament solid core. This complicates an already bright situation. Silver is also a relatively hard metal and difficult to anneal. Hard coppers (linear crystal, etc.) also failed because of their tendency to ring mechanically. Electrically, silver is like a speaker box with no damping material. It will be more efficient, but it will have a definite "sound". All in all, your money is far better spent on good conductor geometry and copper.

Its in this thread:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...rdas+interview

Though obviously there are arguments in favour of silver too.

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #1,293 of 10,994

Quote:
Cardas has said in interviews he sticks with copper because he feels it sounds better than silver. Ken at ALO describes the differences of sonic attributes between his different cables too.

Example.

Though obviously there are arguments in favour of silver too.

Nice add copy.  Good little story for an interview. 

It would seem that if silver is brighter, you should be able to easily measure the increase in the treble frequencies and vice-versa the decrease with copper.  I'm not aware that any of the major cable companies posted any measurements like that. 

And as uncle erik has posted, if any of the cable companies could actually show reproducible measurements that their cable transmitted audible frequencies better than their competitor's, it would be all over the internet by now.

Anyway, apologies for going OT.

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #1,294 of 10,994
Has anyone tried the JMoney leather earpads on the T1? I found the stock pads too small for my ears, just curious how much bigger the Jmoney pads are, and if they change the sound negatively.

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #1,295 of 10,994

Quote:
first, Naim is using a SR71A when he said it was bright up top.

second, my question about how one knows a cable is good wasnt serious. it was to prove  apoint.  how does Frank (whom i respect), KNOW the stock cable is good if he hasnt tried any other cable on the T1? does he think the stock cable is good because of its thickness? connector? because it sounds good already? 

so.. yea... eh this isnt worth it. 

Well for one I know the stock cable is good for a few reasons. One and most important one IMO is in my system The T1 sounds fantastic. I have read Ken from ALo earlier comments last year that he found it very difficult to improve upon the stock cable and there have been some who have done it and found it was not worth the investment as Zombie has. If you have the synergy with the cable as I do i see nor reason to have my T1 modded. I did the experiment with the LCD2 and found no other cable I tried to be a significant improvement and for me I see no reason to try any other cables as I KNOW how the stock sounds and IMO is perfect for me. I would rather spend that money in other areas of my system but YOMV you may decide it was worth it.

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #1,296 of 10,994

Quote:

Well for one I know the stock cable is good for a few reasons. One and most important one IMO is in my system The T1 sounds fantastic. I have read Ken from ALo earlier comments last year that he found it very difficult to improve upon the stock cable and there have been some who have done it and found it was not worth the investment as Zombie has. If you have the synergy with the cable as I do i see nor reason to have my T1 modded. I did the experiment with the LCD2 and found no other cable I tried to be a significant improvement and for me I see no reason to try any other cables as I KNOW how the stock sounds and IMO is perfect for me. I would rather spend that money in other areas of my system but YOMV you may decide it was worth it.

i respect your opinion.  a couple things to consider. 1. its harder/more time consuming to recable the T1. 2.  its a 6 conductor so its more expensive also. 3. maybe ken from alo would not back up the warranty on his own as whiplash and i think moon audio do.  4. i agree too, the stock cable does sound great and im not saying that a recable is what everyone should do but i am saming there might be some ppl that prefer it. thats all.  i for one, am not sure if i prefer it or nomt over stock. id need a stock one to compare.  but as all T1s, they sound AMAZING! :)

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #1,298 of 10,994
From what ive read on headfi cable change has more effect on headphones with impedance swing on the frequency range.. like T1 dynamic drivers.

LCD2 is purely resistive load so cable should matter less.

Is this true or not, i dont know, anybody can comment :)

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #1,299 of 10,994
When I had my J$ pads I tried them on the T1 and the pads were a bit bigger but not by much. The bass on the T1 becomes quite thunderous, yet extremely tight.

Quote:
Has anyone tried the JMoney leather earpads on the T1? I found the stock pads too small for my ears, just curious how much bigger the Jmoney pads are, and if they change the sound negatively.

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #1,300 of 10,994
Well for balanced you don't need to recable since you can just desolder the stock Neutrik plug and solder on either a 4-pin XLR or two 3-pin XLR's.

I use my T1 balanced it it does sound quite nice. It's more open and effortless sounding than in SE. It also seems to help the low end gain some weight and tighten it up at the same time. Overall the sound does open up and sounds more natural.

Quote:
What about balanced system and balanced cables for t1?

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #1,301 of 10,994

Quote:

I think the JMoney pads are terrific on the DT770/880/990 (yes I once owned all of these), but on the T1 I thought they were awful.  They ruined a good headphone.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #1,302 of 10,994

Quote:
Well for balanced you don't need to recable since you can just desolder the stock Neutrik plug and solder on either a 4-pin XLR or two 3-pin XLR's.

I use my T1 balanced it it does sound quite nice. It's more open and effortless sounding than in SE. It also seems to help the low end gain some weight and tighten it up at the same time. Overall the sound does open up and sounds more natural.

FWIW, kwkarth posted in the LCD thread, that a well done balanced rig doesn't sound any different from a well done SE rig.

Aug 20, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #1,303 of 10,994

Quote:
first, Naim is using a SR71A when he said it was bright up top.

second, my question about how one knows a cable is good wasnt serious. it was to prove  apoint.  how does Frank (whom i respect), KNOW the stock cable is good if he hasnt tried any other cable on the T1? does he think the stock cable is good because of its thickness? connector? because it sounds good already? 

so.. yea... eh this isnt worth it. 

In that case, I would ditch any notions of a cable upgrade and look at saving your $$$ for an amp upgrade. $1300 flagship headphones deserve more than a portable amp to reach their full potential. I've tried my T1s on the RSA Hornet, D10, D4, Pico portable amps and let's just say that was far from an optimal solution.

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #1,304 of 10,994

Quote:
In that case, I would ditch any notions of a cable upgrade and look at saving your $$$ for an amp upgrade. $1300 flagship headphones deserve more than a portable amp to reach their full potential. I've tried my T1s on the RSA Hornet, D10, D4, Pico portable amps and let's just say that was far from an optimal solution.

Using an ALO Continental with them now and honestly, it's a sublime pairing. The loudest I ever go is 60% as well, so there is bags of power. Read my impressions on the previous page. Honestly, The Continental, despite being portable, just sounds fantastic paired with a T1. The best portable compliment to the T1 I've tested yet, by far. Not sure how much improvement there could be left to be had with these headphones, though I'm certain there's still plenty of potential. I do think for my tastes personally, a tube amp is a better idea for these than solid state. That extra warmth, body and bass just does wonders.

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #1,305 of 10,994

Quote:
Using an ALO Continental with them now and honestly, it's a sublime pairing. The loudest I ever go is 60% as well, so there is bags of power. Read my impressions on the previous page. Honestly, The Continental, despite being portable, just sounds fantastic paired with a T1. The best portable compliment to the T1 I've tested yet, by far. Not sure how much improvement there could be left to be had with these headphones, though I'm certain there's still plenty of potential. I do think for my tastes personally, a tube amp is a better idea for these than solid state. That extra warmth, body and bass just does wonders.

FYI...one doesn't use an amp to crank up the volume on headphones. Again, I'm sure it sounds good, but trust me, the T1s are capable of better. IMO, the T1s and tubes are the optimal pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back