The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 5, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #10,217 of 10,994
  Can no longer buy it from Massdrop, it has ended.  Also I dont like buying from Massdrop, take too long to deliver.
Are there any better DAC / Amp besides the Grace one?

4490 bifrost and Valhalla2, under $1k with some change to get different tubes to roll.

UD-301 and BH Crack

But if you need it semi portable and all in one, Hugo but its way over $1k
Oppo HA-1

take a look thru this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/amp-dacs, might get some better ideas

Jun 5, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #10,218 of 10,994
I'm happy with my Modi 2 Uber and Crack, but the Asgard 2 is also good. Haven't heard the Bifrost, but frankly I think I'd be satisfied with nearly anything by Schiit.

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #10,219 of 10,994
  I'm happy with my Modi 2 Uber and Crack, but the Asgard 2 is also good. Haven't heard the Bifrost, but frankly I think I'd be satisfied with nearly anything by Schiit.

But the problem, do they sound as good as the Mojo? cause I know not al ot of DAC / Amps out there sound as good as the Mojo, even though the Mojo is for Portable.

Jun 5, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #10,220 of 10,994
  But the problem, do they sound as good as the Mojo? cause I know not al ot of DAC / Amps out there sound as good as the Mojo, even though the Mojo is for Portable.

while I've only heard the mojo a few times it never impressed me as being good, to me its under powered and can be too colored at times (I like colored to some extent) compared to other DACs.  To me the 4490 and UD-501 are better sounding than the mojo, better sound stage, more extended and better dynamics to me.

As for the amp section, I have a hard time with any portable device being able to drive the T1 properly and have found that I like OTL tube amps with them best, just a better synergy between amp and headphone.

But if you have heard the mojo and you like the sound from them with the T1, get them and be happy that you have something that you enjoy.

Jun 5, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #10,221 of 10,994

while I've only heard the mojo a few times it never impressed me as being good, to me its under powered and can be too colored at times (I like colored to some extent) compared to other DACs.  To me the 4490 and UD-501 are better sounding than the mojo, better sound stage, more extended and better dynamics to me.

As for the amp section, I have a hard time with any portable device being able to drive the T1 properly and have found that I like OTL tube amps with them best, just a better synergy between amp and headphone.

But if you have heard the mojo and you like the sound from them with the T1, get them and be happy that you have something that you enjoy.

Both the 4490 Bifrost and UD-501 are DACs only right? No amp?
And isn't the UD-501 discontinued? I think they only have the new one UD-503 now?

Jun 5, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #10,222 of 10,994
  Both the 4490 Bifrost and UD-501 are DACs only right? No amp?
And isn't the UD-501 discontinued? I think they only have the new one UD-503 now?

4490 is DAC only while the UD-501 has an amp section which is decent and yes the UD-503 is the new version but you can still find the UD-501 at really good prices.

Jun 5, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #10,223 of 10,994
Guys, is there anything with the same refinement ("real like-like sound"), but LESS bass amount than the T1?
- The HD800 has too much of a recessed mids (and i'm a "mid-range lover")

thanks...

You might want to take a look at the GL2 SE that is going to be released soon.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/797487/mitchell-johnson-electrostatz-headphones-kickstarter-edition

Jun 5, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #10,225 of 10,994

4490 is DAC only while the UD-501 has an amp section which is decent and yes the UD-503 is the new version but you can still find the UD-501 at really good prices.

The DAC inside the 501 is better than the 4490 right?

There are many factors in a DAC device, not just the chip. A poor implementation can make a great chip sounds like crap. A great implementation can make a decent DAC chip sound fantastic.

There rarely is a "better" in audio at the same price point. The UD-501 is $699 DAC/Amp. The Schiit Bifrost with the 4490 upgrade board is a $499 DAC. That leaves $200 for the Amp. Since the Teac originally sold for $849, we'll say $350 for the amp. $350 gets you a Valhalla 2. Is the Teac "better" than the Bifrost 4490/Valhala 2 combo? Only you can say. The Teac is smaller, so if that is important, then the Teac is better. The Schiit combo will look more bad ass. so if that is important, then the Schiit is better.

Is the AKM AK4490 Verita® D/A converter better than dual BurrBrown PCM1795? As stand alone chips they just sit there. You need all the electronics around it to make a DAC. Both are going to sound good. It's possible if you sat there for a long time and A/B switched, you might be able to hear a slight difference with certain music, but it's also possible you would not.

Bottom line, no one can tell you what is better. People might be able to say if a system is brighter or darker or other ways to describe the sound, but "better" is generally not objective. What is better to me may not be better to you.

For example, I've read some say the HA-2 with the Ether C is great. I've heard others say it's not a good pairing. To each his own.

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #10,226 of 10,994
From what I understand the T1 gen 1 pads are the black version of the DT990 pads. The T1 gen 2 pads are different

I haven't seen or heard anything about the T1V pads other than they might exist in Europe.

I replace my T1 G1 pads with T1V. The old pads were a bit worn and the new pads restores clarity, texture and bass, plus obviously comfort. It's a noticeable effect.

Had to order it from the Sydney Beyer representative though, who in turn had to order it in from Germany. It cost me AUD$115 including shipping. That's really expensive.

I'm hoping these new pads will last a long time because I use my T1 mainly and a lot (several hours a day), even though I have a modded HD650 and HE560. Just prefer T1 sound signature over those 2 headphones. T1 G1 with an OTL amp like Elise just sound so good. I can't recommend this combination enough. There's no need to mod the T1 with Elise. It just sound right. My T1 had an professionally installed 7N OCC 1.5m cable though, done by the previous owner.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #10,227 of 10,994
It cost me AUD$115 including shipping. That's really expensive.  
I'm hoping these new pads will last a long time because I use my T1 mainly and a lot (several hours a day), even though I have a modded HD650 and HE560. Just prefer T1 sound signature over those 2 headphones. T1 G1 with an OTL amp like Elise just sound so good. I can't recommend this combination enough. There's no need to mod the T1 with Elise. It just sound right. My T1 had an professionally installed 7N OCC 1.5m cable though, done by the previous owner.

What? thats expensive for pads. recently replaced mine with the Black DT990 pads EDT990VB. No difference from the stock pads that I can feel or hear. 

Agree with tubes, not bad with SS, just find it better with tubes. Did you ever hear the T1 with the stock cable vs your 7N OCC? curious of the comparison...

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #10,228 of 10,994
  What? thats expensive for pads. recently replaced mine with the Black DT990 pads EDT990VB. No difference from the stock pads that I can feel or hear. 

Agree with tubes, not bad with SS, just find it better with tubes. Did you ever hear the T1 with the stock cable vs your 7N OCC? curious of the comparison...

Nope didn't get a chance to hear the T1 with the stock cable but I do like what I'm hearing now with the after market cable. Also as I'm listening on my desktop mainly, the shorter length is ideal for me. The previous owner did give me the original cable too.

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #10,229 of 10,994

Nope didn't get a chance to hear the T1 with the stock cable but I do like what I'm hearing now with the after market cable. Also as I'm listening on my desktop mainly, the shorter length is ideal for me. The previous owner did give me the original cable too.

I take it the cables were hard wired and not removable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back