The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 25, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #9,361 of 10,994
lol, oops. This was supposed to be a surprise for the sub. Shhhhh

I thought you weren't going to ever buy a TOTL w/ demoing first???
wink.gif

Duly noted. Mums the word... :X

HAHA, exactly what happened to me. Bought T1 by word of mouth while HD 800 was in the display shelf 1 foot away.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Indeed, T1 is rated at 102dB when supplying 1mW at 500Hz.

I'd think that since the same voltage is applied when obtaining the FR graph for the T1, we can assume that when the amplitude on the graph is higher, T1's sensitivity is higher too.

There is a positive correlation between sensitivity and the amplitude measured across the frequency spectrum.

(I think that it might be non-linear, considering the dB unit. more logarithmic, I'd say.) Perhaps someone's got the tools to measure?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

For what it's worth, the power formula is P = V^2 / Z*, Z is the impedance of the load, Z = P + jQ,  P is resistance, Q is reactance of the load. .

Strictly speaking, Z* = P - jQ, the complex conjugate of the impedance. this is the definition for power when we consider reactance and impedance instead of purely resistively load.

In T1's case, since it produces phase shift across the frequency spectrum, I believe that it is safe to say that it has a non-zero Q, else T1 would not introduce phase shift with varying frequency.

We might need to shift this to Sound Science department, though  :D

After months of specs evaluation, I feel that musical components like T1 are best evaluated by ear, not specs.  Cheers!

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #9,362 of 10,994
Anyone here using the T1's with an OPPO HA-1? Impressions would be nice. I jumped on the EBAY deal through Focus Camera as well. My cans get delivered on Tuesday the 28th...But, I'll be out of the country and won't be back for two weeks. Any experience from T1/ Ha-1 users would be fun to read while I wait.
Thanks!

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #9,363 of 10,994
Anyone here using the T1's with an OPPO HA-1? Impressions would be nice. I jumped on the EBAY deal through Focus Camera as well. My cans get delivered on Tuesday the 28th...But, I'll be out of the country and won't be back for two weeks. Any experience from T1/ Ha-1 users would be fun to read while I wait.
Thanks!

I haven't tried the two together, but I tried Kojaku's HA-1 and I really, really liked it. FYI - Oppo offers refurbished stuff now with their full warranty at a huge discount. The refurb HA-1 is only like $1,100 or $1,200... Which is quite a steal, IMO.

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #9,364 of 10,994
My T1 from ebay just arrived two days ago. There is one thing that bothers me. The connection between the driver and cable is so loose that I can even pull it out a little bit. In the first place, I even thought it was removable. Fortunately I didn't pull it very hard. Is this common?

Although focus camera is not authorized dealer, I suppose it is reliable?

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #9,365 of 10,994
  Although focus camera is not authorized dealer, I suppose it is reliable?

They did have "Authorized dealer!!!!" on the top of their Ebay listing though. I even looked at Beyer's website's list of dealers, but also read that some of those are distributors who sell to second level dealers - and those might not be listed. Can't remember where I read that though.

I hope these guys aren't sleazeballs.

Are you going to call them about it?

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #9,367 of 10,994
I bought from Focus Camera. Unit should arrive today, will get to inspect it in person tomorrow. I'll post again here or edit this post if I have any quality issues myself.

I'm pretty sure they mention they have a 14 day guarantee on the listing.

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #9,370 of 10,994
Been listening to these more. I've had them for about a week but I haven't got much time with them since it's been so god damned hot in my apartment and my air conditioner drowns them out. Been forced to use closed cans. At first I was having a bit of trouble with them compared the DT880s. I felt like the 880s had more linear treble response and was a bit disappointed with the T1s overall. I also found the angled drivers and the imaging a bit odd as well. After some more time my ears are warming up to them and I'm realizing how good they are. The bass is so substantial but detailed. Temporal detail is also much better. The speed of the driver means that there is great separation in the instruments and I'm picking up details I haven't heard before. The treble has also mellowed out a bit for me. the 8k hump was really bothering me at first but I think I've gotten used to it now.

This is the first headphone that I've owned that really needs lossless files. Because of the detail and the 8k hump I can sometimes pick out smeary transients and cymbols on 320kbps mp3s. I signed up Tidal and I've noticed a surprisingly big improvement. I'f you'd asked me before I got them I probably would have told you it's impossible to pick out 320kbps from lossless.  

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #9,371 of 10,994
Got them last week from the FC deal. Haven't noticed the cord issue mentioned earlier here. They sound absolutely amazing, just need my Lyr and Bifrost to arrive here so I can really see what they are like. (Using an E10k currently, which is still great, but I'm sure the sound has room for improvement here)

Tried FLAC, 320 MP3, and amazon's prime music (256/??), they all sounded good but the lossless seemed a step above the rest. I think I'll attempt an ABX test with some stuff to see if I am just imagining it.

Edit: Tried the Tidal test from digitalfeed, got a 60% because of the Dixie Chicks song failing me :frowning2: Got 100% on Hotel California though :D

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #9,372 of 10,994
Got mine. Probably the most disappointing purchase ever. Almost flawless bass and liquid mids as well as incredible imaging, but absolutely awful treble. Very long decay in the mid treble causing a metallic hue and it exacerbates the tinnitus that I don't even have. Keeping these for review and possibly demo with some other amps from friends, then they're going to the sell pile. Terrible treble for the price. I refuse to burn another $1000 on an amp and DAC just to have these supposedly "at potential." My $270 HD 600s sound incredible off the Modi 1/Magni 2 that I have, and these don't.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #9,373 of 10,994
  Got mine. Probably the most disappointing purchase ever. Almost flawless bass and liquid mids as well as incredible imaging, but absolutely awful treble. Very long decay in the mid treble causing a metallic hue and it exacerbates the tinnitus that I don't even have. Keeping these for review and possibly demo with some other amps from friends, then they're going to the sell pile. Terrible treble for the price. I refuse to burn another $1000 on an amp and DAC just to have these supposedly "at potential." My $270 HD 600s sound incredible off the Modi 1/Magni 2 that I have, and these don't.

You get 10/10  for optimism in thinking a budget Schiit stack would work well with the T1

You don't need to spend $1000 on a amp lots of good options about for well under half that, a Crack + Speedball does a decent job and your HD600's will also scale and thank you.

If your T1 are new then you might find the excessive treble may tone down a little with further use try leaving them playing for a day or two to burn in.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #9,374 of 10,994

HD600 are much more forgiving, less detailed, less airy. But I understand if you prefer them over T1, nothing wrong about that.

These are two different headphones, if you prefer something like HD600 then you are probably better with the higher end Audezes or Hifimans.

If you are really used to HD600 it would take quite a lot of time to become comfortable with a brighter presentation, 20-30 exclusive listening hours.

That said, listening levels play an important role. The softer treble on HD600 can be a good thing if you listen to music pretty loud.
Recording quality is also very important, there's plenty of over compressed, over bright, even flawed recordings out there, these are not good idea for T1 + SS amp.

Nothing wrong about the Magni in my book, it's pretty neutral, very clear and powerful amp.
Nothing wrong about preferring a more coloured amp that make a particular headphone more enjoyable to your ears.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #9,375 of 10,994
Gonna agree with JamieMcC on not needing to spend $1000 on the chain. Mine is relatively cheap, <$400 (Mo2U + LD MKIII).

One thing I want to say is that, I didn't like the Modi 1 when I had it and I find it interesting that I also felt that the treble sounded metallic and harsh when feeding my DT880/T90s, even when paired with a OTL tube amp. The HD600 didn't have that issue and that pairing was "fine", too boring for my preference but it wasn't a negative pairing. Not sure what they did, if any, but I don't have that issue with the Mo2U and it sounds fantastic. Thought it was as-good-as/better-than a stock Bifrost.

Also had the Magni 2U for a month. It was pretty good overall, but it just did something to the treble that I didn't like.
Maybe I'm used to the slight roll off of tubeamps? Probably. But, it pushed the trebles forward and made them sound off.

If you still have a pair of DTXX0s, you can try taking the foam disc out from a pair and placing them under the T1s ear pads. It fixes the treble for some.

I guess your chain is just geared against the T1s. Altho, I suspect that the Beyer sound just isn't your cup of tea even if you had a perfect pairing. C'est la vie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back