The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 23, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #9,331 of 10,994
Thanks Brooko, great review. Now to talk myself into spending another $240-300 on headphones... going to have to start selling soon. Maybe I'll return the X2, hmm. I mean I like them, but after a week I'm not sure they are quite what I'm looking for.

Of course, your review points out the resolution superiority of T1, and resolution is what I'm after...

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #9,332 of 10,994
Sorry mate - nature of the game.

I'd look for a 2nd hand pair of DT880s in the forum FS section - and see how you like them.

If they are the type of sound sig you're after - then the T1 is the next logical step.

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #9,333 of 10,994
Yeah, trying to avoid the consumerist trap of purchasing happiness... Now that I'm again listening to Jarrett/Peacock/DeJohnette on the X2s, it sounds awesome. I think I'll put myself on a break thinking about headphones for a while and go build a pair of subs for my speakers instead. Keep telling myself I'm not in a great hurry to get to TOTL phones :wink:

Thanks for your comments and reviews, they are really thoughtful and useful.

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #9,334 of 10,994

Could it be your hair? I've had similar issues before with my T1 depending how long my hair is. 
Otherwise, the T1 are quite easy to take apart if you really think it's something inside the cans.

It was my hair! I would've never found out. Thanks man! It makes no sense to me, though, that my hair can make it sound like that. 

Another question, how loose are your pairs of the T1? Every time I take off my pair, it extends all the way, because it's so loose. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #9,335 of 10,994
Yeah, trying to avoid the consumerist trap of purchasing happiness... Now that I'm again listening to Jarrett/Peacock/DeJohnette on the X2s, it sounds awesome. I think I'll put myself on a break thinking about headphones for a while and go build a pair of subs for my speakers instead. Keep telling myself I'm not in a great hurry to get to TOTL phones :wink:

$669 T1 deal just popped on the deals thread. Maybe you don't even need to try the 880 first. If you don't like the T1, you should be able to just sell these and get all your $$ back!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/16065#post_11782997

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #9,336 of 10,994
Code:
mW dB
1 102
2 105
4 108
8 111
16 114
32 117
64 120
128 123
256 126

88 mW is plenty!

300 mW = permanent hearing damage

My post was aimed at dynamic headroom for musical peaks, not specifically sustained listening levels.   

So was mine.

A full orchestra in full flow from 10 feet away can just about hit 120 dB peaks. That is extremely loud.

88 mW will send the T1 beyond 120 dB.

Therefore 88 mW is more than enough peak headroom for the T1.

Few amplifiers list a spec for max dynamic voltage/current so you must extrapolate an idea of the peak capabilities from the listed specs. Depending on the headphone/speaker's impedance curve and sensitivity a dynamic peak can require several times the "power" required for sustained listening.

A headphone will only require an excess of power/current on a peak if it has an impedance DIP in that frequency range. The T1 has no impedance dips so as stated already, 88 mW is plenty to handle any musical event you might throw at it.

The T1's max out at 1400 ohms @ roughly 100hz according to the measurements over at inner fidelity. This is not your run of the mill impedance curve.

A lot of people seem to be getting their panties in a bunch about this 1400 ohm impedance peak. All it means is that in the region of 100 Hz, the T1 will draw LESS current (and therefore LESS power) from the amplifier. It is more efficient at these frequencies. The overall result is of course a well behaved frequency response as we all know.

Some of you guys really should have paid more attention in physics class. :rolleyes:

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #9,337 of 10,994

T1 is nothing like it's smaller siblings. Unlike the others the treble on the T1 is smooth and everyting else is better, except maybe bass quantitiy compared to DT990.. but that's it. So don't let the treble on the other ones scare you away from the T1. That being said, DT880 is probably what I would go with if you don't wanna jump straight to the T1. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #9,338 of 10,994

T1 is nothing like it's smaller siblings. Unlike the others the treble on the T1 is smooth and everyting else is better, except maybe bass quantitiy compared to DT990.. but that's it. So don't let the treble on the other ones scare you away from the T1. That being said, DT880 is probably what I would go with if you don't wanna jump straight to the T1. 

I agree.

When people ask me about the T1, I always say "don't listen to it unless you can afford to buy it" :D

Once you've heard what it can do on the end of a good source and amp, it's hard to go back.

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #9,339 of 10,994
  It was my hair! I would've never found out. Thanks man! It makes no sense to me, though, that my hair can make it sound like that. 

Glad to hear it's figured out. I haven't had any other headphones that respond quite like the T1s to my hair but most headphones have an additional soft cover or layer on the inside -- the T1s are a bit unique as far as the interior finish goes. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #9,340 of 10,994
I agree.

When people ask me about the T1, I always say "don't listen to it unless you can afford to buy it"
biggrin.gif

Once you've heard what it can do on the end of a good source and amp, it's hard to go back.

More like impossible 
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #9,341 of 10,994
A headphone will only require an excess of power/current on a peak if it has an impedance DIP in that frequency range. The T1 has no impedance dips so as stated already, 88 mW is plenty to handle any musical event you might throw at it.
A lot of people seem to be getting their panties in a bunch about this 1400 ohm impedance peak. All it means is that in the region of 100 Hz, the T1 will draw LESS current (and therefore LESS power) from the amplifier. It is more efficient at these frequencies. The overall result is of course a well behaved frequency response as we all know.

Some of you guys really should have paid more attention in physics class. :rolleyes

Sorry, I couldn't get it.
T1's sensitivity is 102db/mw. It means that it requires 1 mw to reach 102db loudness in the specific frequency.
So, if we want to have 102 db loudness in all frequencies and assume that sensitivity is constant across tthe all frequencies, we must deliver 1mw to T1.
As power is defined as the ratio of squared voltage to impedance. In order to keep the ratioconstant and equal to 1, voltage will swing with impedance. In T1 case, as impedance goes up to 1400 ohms, it means that voltage is needed to ascend too. In the other word, at 1400 ohms, T1 needs a lot voltage.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #9,342 of 10,994
Jul 23, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #9,343 of 10,994
$669 T1 deal just popped on the deals thread. Maybe you don't even need to try the 880 first. If you don't like the T1, you should be able to just sell these and get all your $$ back!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/16065#post_11782997

Woah, awesome / oh sch**t. NOW WHAT DO I DO? :popcorn:

If you want it, just buy it. Better to buy the headphone you want than a stopgap you don't. Take it from me, I own 25 pairs of headphones, lol!

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #9,344 of 10,994
Sorry, I couldn't get it.
T1's sensitivity is 102db/mw. It means that it requires 1 mw to reach 102db loudness in the specific frequency.
So, if we want to have 102 db loudness in all frequencies and assume that sensitivity is constant across tthe all frequencies, we must deliver 1mw to T1.
As power is defined as the ratio of squared voltage to impedance. In order to keep the ratioconstant and equal to 1, voltage will swing with impedance. In T1 case, as impedance goes up to 1400 ohms, it means that voltage is needed to ascend too. In the other word, at 1400 ohms, T1 needs a lot voltage.

This is plain wrong.

You don't need to consider constant power across the spectrum.
You should consider constant voltage instead.
This leads to the fact that T1 needs less power at the mid-bass (being a 1400 Ohm load, it drains less current in the mid-bass)

Sensitivity in dB/mW is not constant across the spectrum.
The spec is probably alright: 102 dB/mW at 1kHz
Same spec rated at 100Hz would yield a significantly higher sensitivity in dB/mW.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #9,345 of 10,994
Wa

Can it get any cheaper than this?
I am happy with DT880. But this deal got me thinking....am i happy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back