The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 23, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #9,346 of 10,994
So I just jumped on the T1 for $669 deal. I really liked the DT880 Premium 250 I sent back since I was supposed to get a 600 ohm and they sent a 250 from a Warehouse Deal. This will be the first TOTL headphone that I'll actually own so hopefully it pays off. I already heard the HD 800 and didn't like its hyper dry treble at all.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #9,347 of 10,994
So did I, despite all my protestations against consumerism.
confused_face_2.gif

I figured I can always return or resell them at close to this price. I think my X2 will have to go back. They sound awesome on old blues, but  too dark for me on most things. Not quite muffled, but guitars for example have no bite.

Schiit M/M2U stack will have to do for now but I might spring for RasPi2 with Hifiberry Digi+ to avoid Pi's crappy USB.

OK guys, please tell I done good!

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #9,348 of 10,994
Sorry, I couldn't get it.

T1's sensitivity is 102db/mw. It means that it requires 1 mw to reach 102db loudness in the specific frequency.

So, if we want to have 102 db loudness in all frequencies and assume that sensitivity is constant across tthe all frequencies, we must deliver 1mw to T1.

As power is defined as the ratio of squared voltage to impedance. In order to keep the ratioconstant and equal to 1, voltage will swing with impedance. In T1 case, as impedance goes up to 1400 ohms, it means that voltage is needed to ascend too. In the other word, at 1400 ohms, T1 needs a lot voltage.

This is plain wrong.

You don't need to consider constant power across the spectrum.

You should consider constant voltage instead.

This leads to the fact that T1 needs less power at the mid-bass (being a 1400 Ohm load, it drains less current in the mid-bass)

Sensitivity in dB/mW is not constant across the spectrum.
The spec is probably alright: 102 dB/mW at 1kHz
Same spec rated at 100Hz would yield a significantly higher sensitivity in dB/mW.

Yep. Me x3 is correct. The output voltage of the amplifier is what it is and follows the input signal. The current changes depending on the impedance of the load.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #9,349 of 10,994
  This is plain wrong.

You don't need to consider constant power across the spectrum.
You should consider constant voltage instead.
This leads to the fact that T1 needs less power at the mid-bass (being a 1400 Ohm load, it drains less current in the mid-bass)

Sensitivity in dB/mW is not constant across the spectrum.
The spec is probably alright: 102 dB/mW at 1kHz
Same spec rated at 100Hz would yield a significantly higher sensitivity in dB/mW.

Thanks
But why? because the case that they produce frequency response with delivering constant Voltage?
Then why companies are bothering themselves to compute sensitivity in db/mw unit and not db/V? According to P=V^2/R (which is not an accurate relationship in real world) and old guides on head-fi, more impedance means less current, more voltage, and not less power.

I think that T1's sensitivity is rate at 500Hz.

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #9,350 of 10,994
So did I, despite all my protestations against consumerism.:confused_face_2:

I figured I can always return or resell them at close to this price. I think my X2 will have to go back. They sound awesome on old blues, but  too dark for me on most things. Not quite muffled, but guitars for example have no bite.

Schiit M/M2U stack will have to do for now but I might spring for RasPi2 with Hifiberry Digi+ to avoid Pi's crappy USB.

OK guys, please tell I done good!

You done good. Buying a stopgap would have been a mistake. I've found you either bite the bullet and get the headphone you want now, or you end up buying two headphones you don't want first (before eventually just buying the headphone you really want anyway). The biting the bullet is generally $400-$600 cheaper. :)

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #9,351 of 10,994
  Thanks
But why? because the case that they produce frequency response with delivering constant Voltage?
Then why companies are bothering themselves to compute sensitivity in db/mw unit and not db/V? According to P=V^2/R (which is not an accurate relationship in real world) and old guides on head-fi, more impedance means less current, more voltage, and not less power.

I think that T1's sensitivity is rate at 500Hz.

From Headphone.com

"How we test frequency response: To perform this test we drive the headphones with a series of 200 tones at the same voltage and of ever increasing frequency. We then measure the output at each frequency through the ears of the highly-specialized (and pricey!) Head Acoustics microphone."

I've checked and T1's sensitivity is rated at 500Hz
Purposely or not, it's pretty much a trick to make them looks more sensitive than they really are.
Sensitivity in dB/mW at 1000Hz would be more useful (and lower than 102dB/mW)

Why companies do such things?
Not completely sure, but companies make a lot of things simply for marketing purposes. They typically throw numbers like 5-50000 Hz frequency response, and so... instead of giving a trustable FR plot. You know, that's how things work these days.

AKG normally rate their headphones' sensitivity in dB/V

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #9,352 of 10,994
Wa
$669 T1 deal just popped on the deals thread. Maybe you don't even need to try the 880 first. If you don't like the T1, you should be able to just sell these and get all your $$ back!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/16065#post_11782997

Can it get any cheaper than this?
I am happy with DT880. But this deal got me thinking....am i happy?

The only T1's I've seen for less are generally used (and often times a bit banged up). These are brand new from an authorized dealer. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #9,353 of 10,994
So I just jumped on the T1 for $669 deal. I really liked the DT880 Premium 250 I sent back since I was supposed to get a 600 ohm and they sent a 250 from a Warehouse Deal. This will be the first TOTL headphone that I'll actually own so hopefully it pays off. I already heard the HD 800 and didn't like its hyper dry treble at all.

I thought you weren't going to ever buy a TOTL w/ demoing first??? :wink:

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #9,356 of 10,994
You done good. Buying a stopgap would have been a mistake. I've found you either bite the bullet and get the headphone you want now, or you end up buying two headphones you don't want first (before eventually just buying the headphone you really want anyway). The biting the bullet is generally $400-$600 cheaper.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the way you think. They've shipped, and are apparently on a bicycle courier from NY to CA - delivering next Thursday...

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #9,357 of 10,994

You done good. Buying a stopgap would have been a mistake. I've found you either bite the bullet and get the headphone you want now, or you end up buying two headphones you don't want first (before eventually just buying the headphone you really want anyway). The biting the bullet is generally $400-$600 cheaper.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the way you think. They've shipped, and are apparently on a bicycle courier from NY to CA - delivering next Thursday...

Yeah, it's happened to me more than once, lol! The wait will be over before you know it. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #9,360 of 10,994

Users who are viewing this thread

Back