The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #8,207 of 10,994
  Funny thing is that while really enjoyed the HD800 as an all rounder, I'm still in two minds.  Whilst the two are very much alike, there is a vividness and clarity to the T1 on my system that the HD800 doesn't quite reach. I suspect that maybe my DAC and amp could be the limiting factor.  But as I genuinely enjoyed both headphones on my system - I can't really see me upgrading source and amps for a while yet.

I have the same issue you have though.  The dilemma is that the two are more alike than different.  And the more I heard the HD800, the more I appreciated the T1.  But I suspect if I had the HD800, I may not listen to the T1 as much.  But then if I sold the T1 - I would miss it.

I think Rizki was in the same dilemma.  he sold his T1's (to me), kept the HD800s, and now he misses the T1.

You can't win sometimes ......

+1

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #8,208 of 10,994
I use the HD 800 more than T1 but I will not sell the T1 (unless Beyer releases something better). I enjoy it a lot, I like the T1 bass better, its more fun. IMHO HD 800 is more resolving, whenever I want to test / evaluate something (amp, dac, tube, cable, recording...) I turn to HD 800 & of course then there is the HD800 sound stage .

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #8,210 of 10,994
Well my T1's are on the UPS truck for delivery today so I'm excited to join the club 
beyersmile.png
.  I also have HD700's that I impulse bought for $459 w/ tax coming in today.  I'm thinking I'm going to leave the HD700's unopened while I evaluate the T1's.  Does anyone here own both?  Do you find them complimentary with each other?  I guess I'm trying to justify in my mind owning both...

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #8,211 of 10,994
Well my T1's are on the UPS truck for delivery today so I'm excited to join the club :beyersmile: .  I also have HD700's that I impulse bought for $459 w/ tax coming in today.  I'm thinking I'm going to leave the HD700's unopened while I evaluate the T1's.  Does anyone here own both?  Do you find them complimentary with each other?  I guess I'm trying to justify in my mind owning both...
Ask Brooko about it. He's had the HD700s and the T1s now. I don't think he's had them both at the same time so it'll probably be from memory.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #8,212 of 10,994
I can only report from memory but compared to HD700:

T1:
- slightly (!!!) smaller soundstage
- closer to what ppl consider neutral
- less treble energy (except for the beyer peak but ppl have different sensitivity to this)
- more forward midrange, more natural
- maybe a tiny bit less sub-bass

overall I would say the T1 is the better allrounder, the HD700 has a higher hit/miss rate

hope that helps

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #8,213 of 10,994
Ok, thanks for the reply.  I currently own the '03 version of the DT880's and also DT770's and it's safe to say that I am a fan of the Beyer 'house sound'.  I don't find them to be too bright or peaky at all.  

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #8,214 of 10,994
I can only report from memory but compared to HD700:

T1:
- slightly (!!!) smaller soundstage
- closer to what ppl consider neutral
- less treble energy (except for the beyer peak but ppl have different sensitivity to this)
- more forward midrange, more natural
- maybe a tiny bit less sub-bass

overall I would say the T1 is the better allrounder, the HD700 has a higher hit/miss rate

hope that helps

Nice summary - yep that nails the differences. HD700 is also quite a bit darker. It can be a strange tonality because they were bassier than I expected - but then they still have that upper mid range and lower treble clarity .......

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #8,215 of 10,994
Concerning the use of Audeze pads on the T1's:

I was going to try this, then after reading some member's comments I decided against it.

Then curiosity got the best of me... and I ordered some new Audeze pads from Audeze.

Well, the Audeze pads definitely change the sound of the T1's.  Actually, I was shocked just how much the sound changed.  I suppose I can see where some might prefer the sound with the Audeze pads installed.

At the end of the day, my personal preference is the original pads.  It is a worthwhile experiment though.

Time to put the Audeze pads on the sale subforum.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #8,217 of 10,994
Nice summary - yep that nails the differences. HD700 is also quite a bit darker. It can be a strange tonality because they were bassier than I expected - but then they still have that upper mid range and lower treble clarity .......

Hmm... So possibly 'colored' compared to the more neutral T1's which could be considered 'more fun' depending on ones taste?  I guess I'll start by comparing the T1's to my DT880's and go from there.  If the T1's are so good that I can't imagine putting anything else on my head I may just return or sell the HD700's.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #8,218 of 10,994
  Hmm... So possibly 'colored' compared to the more neutral T1's which could be considered 'more fun' depending on ones taste?  I guess I'll start by comparing the T1's to my DT880's and go from there.  If the T1's are so good that I can't imagine putting anything else on my head I may just return or sell the HD700's.

I'd personally call it a bit more coloured than the T1 - a little more V shaped.  T1 is a bit flatter, a little brighter overall, and definitely a lot more vivid (overall) in it's clarity.

For T1 vs DT880 - this might help : http://www.head-fi.org/t/727739/comparison-review-beyerdynamic-s-siblings-the-classic-dt880-vs-the-flagship-t1

And here was my thoughts on the HD600 vs HD700 (has a very small paragraph regarding HD700 vs T1) - http://www.head-fi.org/t/725127/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd700 

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #8,219 of 10,994
  Ok, thanks for the reply.  I currently own the '03 version of the DT880's and also DT770's and it's safe to say that I am a fan of the Beyer 'house sound'.  I don't find them to be too bright or peaky at all.  

I have the T1 and DT770 250ohm version. If I listen with the DT770 for a hour or so before switching back to the T1's it feels with the DT770 you have been listening to speakers but with a box over your head. Put the T1's on and its ahhh that's better now I can hear!

I like the DT770 and actually think they are great value and punch above what their pricing would lead you to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back