The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 11, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #8,026 of 10,994
Power is a proxy for output impedance, because 40V 1000mW has twice the current of 40V 500mW.  Twice the current at the same gain requires half the output impedance.  Volume is a function of voltage, with the driver impedance determining current and power draw.  Lower output impedance means the driver is more free to consume power as needed, and the amp can sink induced voltages from the coil better, so will be better dampened.  This is true at any gain.  Class A amps are a little different from this in that they're not variable-gain, but run at the gain sweet spot ("full throttle"), attenuating the signal input to the amp instead.  A class A amp is like opening the faucet wide open and clamping the hose upstream of it instead of controlling the faucet.  So to some extent it depends on amp topology.

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #8,027 of 10,994
How the headphone sounds with an amp has nothing to do with lots of power. It can only take the amount of power as it is rated for. Using a 1 W amp against a 500mW amp may sound different but nit because It has more power. T1 can only take 300mW.

If you say T1 needs 1 Watt of power to sound good prove it crank up the volume all the way to max of that 1W amp at max volume and see what happens.

Actually it has nothing to do with the gain/volume of the amp. For whatever reason I have had better results with my T1 using amps that had power to spare. Could just be the particular amps I have experienced but that is what I have found.Even the Matrix M Stage which certainly cannot be called beefy at 600 ohms will get you more than enough gain/volume. I never judge an amp by how far I have to turn up the volume knob. As long as it provides enough gain for the headphones at normal listening level I'm happy. Quality is another matter. Some people claim an O2 will power anything perfectly except an HE6. Just different strokes. Everyone has their own opinion about amps. As for me I like to have reserve clean power so the amp is not being pushed to the limit. Just my own approach yours may differ.

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #8,028 of 10,994
pulling my T1 off the rack this week to give my LCD-X and my neck a little break :wink:  turn it up loud enough it sounds pretty good. loads more sparkle, bit thinner in the body and bass.

Really? If mine did that I would have sold them. When I listen at a volume a tad bit higher than my usual preference, i get quite a lot of thump and crispness. I heard th dt880 sound thin, but never my T1s

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #8,029 of 10,994
Really? If mine did that I would have sold them. When I listen at a volume a tad bit higher than my usual preference, i get quite a lot of thump and crispness. I heard th dt880 sound thin, but never my T1s

compared to the x i think the t1's are a little lighter sounding, but the bass is tight, and fast, which i like

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #8,030 of 10,994
The T1 sounds great at any volume level. I adjust the volume only depending on how much environment noise is coming from around the house, not to make the music sound better. When it's really quiet, I listen at quite a low volume level and it sounds just as good.

Louder does not equal better. If that is the case I guess there's a problem somewhere in the signal chain, perhaps one's ears.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #8,032 of 10,994
It's also a question of perception. If you're used to louder volumes, lower volumes can seem flat and lacking dynamics. This just takes some time to adjust to and then you can enjoy equally at lower volumes again.

That is the tricky bit, isn't it? Lower volume brings (to me) less engagement and higher volume brings tinnitus 
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #8,033 of 10,994
compared to the x i think the t1's are a little lighter sounding, but the bass is tight, and fast, which i like
Oh yeah, compared to the Xs they fall short in a few areas. I love listening to Deadmau5, and when I give it some juice its very impressive how much visceral impact there is. Clean, thumping low end that i find very satisfying. With acoustic music, or singer/songwriter stuff, jazz, etc they do sound great at any volume. But with club/dubstep tracks, the extra juice can transport you right to the nightlife baby!

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #8,034 of 10,994
Oh yeah, compared to the Xs they fall short in a few areas. I love listening to Deadmau5, and when I give it some juice its very impressive how much visceral impact there is. Clean, thumping low end that i find very satisfying. With acoustic music, or singer/songwriter stuff, jazz, etc they do sound great at any volume. But with club/dubstep tracks, the extra juice can transport you right to the nightlife baby!

Yeah dialing in the volume from song to song is my key with the T1's.  I just dial it up until the drums sound real...and then I'm home.

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #8,035 of 10,994
yep.  dial it in. with the T1 power can make up for the relative thinness compared to the X. it's all good.

having higher power capacity allows an amp to provide better control over it's output even at lower power. not really something worth arguing over, it is just what it is.

funny you should mention 'would have sold them'... i have a brand new pair unopened box for sale if anyone is interested pm me.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #8,036 of 10,994
Yeah dialing in the volume from song to song is my key with the T1's.  I just dial it up until the drums sound real...and then I'm home.
Agreed

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #8,038 of 10,994
Oct 13, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #8,039 of 10,994
you have re-terminate the cable or let anyone else do it for you.

If your T1 is still under waranty, take note that there is/are authorized shops who can modify T1 without voiding warranty.

If your T1 is out of warranty period you can just have it done from anyone/anywhere who can

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #8,040 of 10,994
  Is there anyway to get the T1 with XLR 4 pin connector?

I did the termination for xlr myself and the entire process took 15 minutes. If you have a balanced system I can't emphasize enough the benefit. In fully balanced operation the separation of instruments is improved but the real benefit is the absolute precision with which sounds are displayed in their precise position within the soundstage. I own the HD800's and they do present a somewhat larger soundstage but they cannot compete with the absolute precise placement of instruments that I get with the balanced T1's. it's worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back