The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #4,142 of 10,994
Beyer tends to change things over time.  Maybe it is time for me to get a current sample and measure again.  I'll keep it in mind.

May 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #4,143 of 10,994
Quote:
I have a T1 #95xx and I don't hear this crazy spike people are talking about. I wish someone would take some measurements of later serial #s.

well i've 98xx had 2, now 1, and i feel the spike, but not crazy, just substantially more than with any of my other cans, only with certain vocals, and only with powerful amps, like the v200, which is really smooth with the hd800 on the other hand

with less powerful amps the bass is very flat, but with powerful ones the spike gets more noticeable

Quote:
Beyer tends to change things over time.  Maybe it is time for me to get a current sample and measure again.  I'll keep it in mind.

change on purpose?

cos some complained about driver imbalance, others about stereo imaging, others about treble spikes,

what i feel is a surround but precise stereo imaging with very immediate depth imaging and range, and the high spl in sibilant vocal recordings, which i can suppress with eq  in the 6 to 9 khz range, but which i do not cos it's not that bad and limited to recordings that exhibit sibilance per se, and very amp dependent treble, something like a very efficient treble compared to mids and especially bass

and all the other thing that i stated in my other posts earlier in this thread

tongue_smile.gif
so maybe take 10 samples from different series and tell us which one is "best"
deadhorse.gif

btw did anyone question beyerdynamic about all the qualities, "issues", and the concept regarding the t1 design, any interviews, articles, anything?

May 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #4,144 of 10,994
Quote:
Does the T1 and WA2 need a warm or neutral dac?

I'm not sure if I'll need the optional DIR9001 or not. (will use coaxial from stx).
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB1.32/NFB1.32EN_Custom.htm

Though a little outside of your budget, of the two DAC's that I use with my T1, the warmer is more enjoyable. The Benchmark that I own, a DAC both renowned and reviled for its clinical presentation is not on par with either of the other two. The PWD MKII, a warmer dac has better synergy with the T1 than my W4S Dac 2 > Audiophilleo. While I don't like to use the word neutral, considering that there is no true reference standard for neutral that I'm aware of; the W4S certainly is less warm, less textural, less dynamic, less solid (hell, I've never heard a DAC that is simultaneously so focused and solid as the PWD) but the W4S is also less colored. It's more adept at providing broader staging (with greater separation) and a more precise imaging experience.

The T1's, as they are stock, image as well as any dynamic headphone I've heard. They have a wonderfully deep soundstage, that can vary a great deal respective to the recording. They can be peaky for some and downright bright for others and are just shy of being ruthlessly revealing in their ability to extract detail. For this reason a warmer DAC, that caters more to PRAT, dynamics and solidity would be better suited I think to the T1. There are others that mention the T1 can be boring relative to their other cans, namely the HD800. While I can see their point, I have seldom had this experience, with a few aberrant acoustic albums that I now know to avoid. Get a DAC that stresses rhythm and jump-out-your-seat-factor in lieu of more clinical offerings.

When you're at the precipice of spending say $600 on a DAC, my advice would usually be to wait a bit and save a bit more. Get to the 1k range and buy used, where you can find some wonderful values. For instance, when buying used you can find a W4S Dac 1 for $700 and an additional $400 for an Audiophilleo, which blows the snot out of my Nuforce HDP or the upgraded DACMagic that I auditioned. Similarly the EE Minimax (non plus) gives you the flexibility of a tube/solid state sound, with rollable opamps that similarly kicks the **** of the aforementioned cheaper offerings. I've seen the Minimax go for as low as $550 on Audiogon. As far as I'm concerned, with a flourishing used market, with members that are conscientious of treating their gear delicately, there is absolutely no reason to purchase new, and especially at that price range, where you may find yourself changing gear every few months.

May 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4,145 of 10,994
Quote:
Gotta read the by-lines, that's a John Grandberg review. 

Still don't like the T1s...sorry.

Oh, my bad! Everything is still in it's right place :p

May 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #4,150 of 10,994
why has inner fidelity not done a review of the t1? 
frown.gif

May 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #4,151 of 10,994
May 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #4,153 of 10,994

Users who are viewing this thread

Back