The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #4,126 of 10,994
Quote:
yes but what he/she doesn't understand is that there is a strong sound of resonance at 8k being created artificially from the t1,

there is a loud resonance piercing your ears artificially made inside the t1 driver cup, it's not about affecting anything or veiling it's about the overreaction of the driver to this region of the band

You are most likely right and by blaming 10k peak we are just barking up the wrong tree and the whole treble edginess is a result of distortions (ringing) as I was suggesting in the other post. Still hope that dampening will take care of that as DT880 while bright does not sound that grainy and edgy in treble and it has dampening inside the cups.

May 2, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #4,127 of 10,994
Hi guys..i am planning to get the T1 with the Burson Soloist. The T1 i might get it first because the Soloist i might have to wait longer on delivery process. In the mean time i only have graham slee srg ii with centrance dac lx which i am not too sure they are capable enough to drive the T1 or not. However i also wonder does any of my portable amps can drive this T1. I have some of portable amps from alo RxMK3 (just about selling this), Pico Power, Apex Glacier, Alo International and also portable dac source like Fostex HPP1 and CLAS db (newest version with 2v output)....does anyone has any experience driving the T1 using portable amps?

May 2, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #4,128 of 10,994
Quote:
Hi guys..i am planning to get the T1 with the Burson Soloist. The T1 i might get it first because the Soloist i might have to wait longer on delivery process. In the mean time i only have graham slee srg ii with centrance dac lx which i am not too sure they are capable enough to drive the T1 or not. However i also wonder does any of my portable amps can drive this T1. I have some of portable amps from alo RxMK3 (just about selling this), Pico Power, Apex Glacier, Alo International and also portable dac source like Fostex HPP1 and CLAS db (newest version with 2v output)....does anyone has any experience driving the T1 using portable amps?

The Graham Slee will have no problems driving the T1; assuming you are talking about the Solo SRG II.

May 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #4,129 of 10,994
Hi. Tx for the reply. Yes, mine is solo srg ii. Somehow i just feel like solo srg ii is not that powerful. For example when driving my hd650 i need to use at least 70% of the volume. And some recordings i need to turn it up to 80% of the volume. Actually is fine..but i would prefer to use an amp which is only need to use let say 40-50% of the volume to get a perfect level of volume when driving my hd650. And i just thought the T1 with 600ohm impedance would be harder to drive than hd650. So that is the reason i ordered the soloist. But i will give it a try for sure with my srg ii too.

May 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #4,130 of 10,994
Quote:
You are most likely right and by blaming 10k peak we are just barking up the wrong tree and the whole treble edginess is a result of distortions (ringing) as I was suggesting in the other post. Still hope that dampening will take care of that as DT880 while bright does not sound that grainy and edgy in treble and it has dampening inside the cups.

don't get me wrong, i understand when someone really like something and will see only the best side of it, something like falling in love with a headphone, but at least people should try to understand what's being said, before replying at least, as to actually help would be asking too much perhaps

and i do really like the t1, else would have been sold

the problem is that those fr graphs may as well be the best case scenario

the ear cup may be a major factor too, try to listen without it and you'll most certainly find a position that will kill the resonance substantially, which could mean your outer ear shape is a major factor too, and so on

and finding a material that will absorb that f region only is tricky,to try to make the cup less symmetrical may yield some result, eg put the felt at a sharper angle etc. but that and putting something inside the cups alone, felt etc., is very likely to affect driver matching even more, on that note, maybe the drivers are well matched but how they differently fit inside the cup may cause the mismatching, the way they are secured from vibrations too is a little cheap

some pointed that in that f region not much is actually happening, which is a plus for targeted eqing of the problem only for the records affected, while you can't put and remove and return again the felt that easily

while i find the drivers alone to be even better performing than those in the hd800, the rest, the cup design, leaves a lot to desire, i understand it's not a $5k headphone but...

again, the t1 is really perfect, so get a nice chain and a lot of headphones to match your mood and music, and make sure you have a t1 in your collection, cos it's a class on its own, there are dynamic, orthodynamic,  electrostatic... and the beyer
tongue_smile.gif

May 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #4,135 of 10,994
Interesting review at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/icon-audio-hp8-mk2-tube-headphone-amplifier

My absolute favorite pairing was with the Beyerdynamic T1 (with the Icon HP8 Mk2 Tube Headphone Amp). This is a headphone that I've struggled to love, finding it disappointing when paired with some exceptional solid state amps. I've heard it said many times that the T1 loves tubes, but that hasn't always proved to be true either. Yet in this case it absolutely is. The T1 is inherently peaky and, like the HD800, benefits from the smooth-yet-accurate top end of the HP8. In this case the impedance selection switch results in subtle variations with High being the most dynamic and rich sounding, and therefore my preferred choice.

May 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #4,136 of 10,994
Quote:
Interesting review at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/icon-audio-hp8-mk2-tube-headphone-amplifier

I think it's good Tyll said something positive about the phones. He's such a high-profile figure around here that maybe he's influenced people's opinions about them a little too much. The review is about the amp though, not about the phones.

May 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #4,140 of 10,994
to those that have both the t1 and hd800

1. which one do you feel have the more "out of the head" soundstage? (more in relation to depth an surround perception than width)

and

2. is the overall difference minor or substantially noticeable or huge?

and

3. does one lead in that regard with all the records, music types, or is there an opposite scenario?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back