The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #3,197 of 10,994
I too recommend the Meier Amplifier. In my case it's the Concerto model. I just sold my MAD Ear+ tube amplifier and might try to build a Bottlehead Crack (with the SpeedBall option) to try the T1 with it. I've read that it's not too syrupy/warm and the SB make it fast and snappy.

OH and congratulation on the new T1 (and DT1350)  
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #3,198 of 10,994
Congrats!! :)

Thank you! Been looking to make the jump to hi-fi for a while now, and made the decision for these over the HD800 after after comparing similar tier beyers and sennheisers (dt990 vs hd595)

They both sounded good, but the build quality of the beyers was exponentially better.

After I learned that the HD800 is basically plastic covered in chipable paint, the choice was clear. I want a headphone that's going to last me 10+ years if I decide to keep it that long.

Also, the amount of "OMG you haven't heard the REAL hd800 until you've put $5000 of additional gear with it" was a factor as well.

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #3,199 of 10,994
Quote:
Thank you! Been looking to make the jump to hi-fi for a while now, and made the decision for these over the HD800 after after comparing similar tier beyers and sennheisers (dt990 vs hd595)
They both sounded good, but the build quality of the beyers was exponentially better.
After I learned that the HD800 is basically plastic covered in chipable paint, the choice was clear. I want a headphone that's going to last me 10+ years if I decide to keep it that long.
Also, the amount of "OMG you haven't heard the REAL hd800 until you've put $5000 of additional gear with it" was a factor as well.

LOL...don't be surprised if you have a mob of HD800 owners hunting you down after saying that! 
beyersmile.png

My main infatuation with the T1s aside from the sound is the comfort. I just bought some AKG Q701s, which are super light and comfortable. They have velour over their foam pads, but when I take them off and put the T1s on it's like going from a $10 walmart sweater to cashmere. I have worn them for several hours at a time (could have gone longer) and I never get fatigued. I've heard the HD800s are very comfortable, as well, I just haven't had the opportunity to listen to them as of yet. I'm quite content with the Teslas :)

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3,201 of 10,994
Quote:

LOL...don't be surprised if you have a mob of HD800 owners hunting you down after saying that! 
beyersmile.png

My main infatuation with the T1s aside from the sound is the comfort. I just bought some AKG Q701s, which are super light and comfortable. They have velour over their foam pads, but when I take them off and put the T1s on it's like going from a $10 walmart sweater to cashmere. I have worn them for several hours at a time (could have gone longer) and I never get fatigued. I've heard the HD800s are very comfortable, as well, I just haven't had the opportunity to listen to them as of yet. I'm quite content with the Teslas :)

Actually the Q701s, HD800s and the T1s are some of the most comfortable headphones around.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #3,202 of 10,994
Quote:

Actually the Q701s, HD800s and the T1s are some of the most comfortable headphones around.

Totally agree. I bought the Qs as primarily a movie watching headphone since I already have two great headphones I use for music (T1s, PS500s). I didn't care for all the plastic, but the comfort is very good and the headphones are so damn light that I can't even tell they're on my head. I usually am always aware of the T1s being on my head, but since they're so comfortable it's almost a positive thing. 

The Qs have grown on me quite a bit...I don't think I'd want to pay full retail cause the treble is weird to me, but for movies they're fantastic. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #3,204 of 10,994
Quote:
Yes,

The treble is kinda funny.  How many hours do you have on the.  I really let mine burn in for 2 days straight.  The treble did smooth out some.

Hmmm...not many so far. I'm guessing about 40hrs?  I'm glad to hear you say that, cause I think I read Tyll saying the same thing. There are just times when something in the higher frequencies will just stand out like a sore thumb from the rest of the presentation. It's very odd, but overall I'm quite happy with them. At the current price of around $250, I'd say they're a very solid buy. I had been lugging my T1s with me over to my lady friend's place back and forth, and that ended up costing me a cable when the pup went to town on them. He's older now and he leaves all the wires and cables alone, but if he ever got a "wild hair" as they say down here in the south, at least the Qs have a detachable one lol. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #3,206 of 10,994
I wouldn't do a silver recable with the T1's-- I'm guessing that would probably make it way too bright. Mixed opinions about recabling the T1's. The thread starter (Zombie X) has experimented with this and does not think recabling is worth it for these headphones. Others might disagree. I suspect other tweaks would be a better investment, such as maybe having them dampened, or experimenting with different tube amplification, etc.

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #3,207 of 10,994
Quote:
I wouldn't do a silver recable with the T1's-- I'm guessing that would probably make it way too bright. Mixed opinions about recabling the T1's. The thread starter (Zombie X) has experimented with this and does not think recabling is worth it for these headphones. Others might disagree. I suspect other tweaks would be a better investment, such as maybe having them dampened, or experimenting with different tube amplification, etc.

Good post.

I noticed a difference when I got my T1's re cabled with the Zeus copper cable.  I got more weight and bass, the treble got tamed so it wasn't as bright as before.  I would say it's worth a re cable job.

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #3,208 of 10,994
Quote:

Ah he runs his own recable business so that is a telling fact. good to hear! 

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #3,209 of 10,994
Quote:

beyersmile.png

Does the Q701 pads fit T1? Do you have a photo that you can show me how you put it on? Maybe K701 grey pads will make my t1 a bit different :D

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #3,210 of 10,994
Quote:

Does the Q701 pads fit T1? Do you have a photo that you can show me how you put it on? Maybe K701 grey pads will make my t1 a bit different :D

Im happy to check for you, but WHY would you want to do that? lol  The T1 pads are so much more comfortable to my ears....you don't care for them? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back