The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 28, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #21,136 of 23,552
Could anyone please suggest to me a good dongle DAC/DAC-AMP (with a 3.5mm out and 4.4 mm balanced out) for my 64 Audio Trio? My budget is a maximum of USD 200.

I currently own the Qudelix 5k and am happy with it but due to its in-built battery, I find it a little too bulky and heavy. I am looking for something lighter and more compact (without battery). And most importantly, it should pair well with the Trio, i.e., it should not be 'treble bright' because in my experience the Trio already has a slight tendency for brighter treble at times.

Based on what's available in my country, here are the products I have seen so far:
1. Earmen Sparrow: really looks nice, small, light, and very portable. It has a 2.5 mm o/p. though. I prefer the 4.4 mm o/p. but can compromise on this aspect if there is no other/better one available.
2. Cayin RU6: looks fine but is above my budget. I can try and spend a little more but only if it is absolutely worth it though.
3. LOTOO - PAW S2: same case as the Cayin RU6 above.
4. MOONDROP MoonRiver 2 : looks good and fits my needs overall. But not sure about its size and weight.
5. Lotoo PAW S1: has all that I want but the size appears to be very slightly on the bigger side (think I can compromise here if performance is good). I would like to know about its performance from someone who has used it.
5. ASTELL&KERN - AK HC2: not sure how good this one is in terms of performance. I don't see any reviews on the local store's website and very few reviews on YouTube.
6. XDUOO - LINK2 BAL: don't know much about this one. Seems to be an average performer based on what little I have read.
7. IBASSO - DC06: has all that I want but the size appears to be on the bigger side. Also, not sure about its performance.
8. SHANLING - UA3: seems to be a good fit overall for my needs. I would like to know about its performance from someone who has used it.
9. SHANLING - UA2 PLUS: seems to be a good fit overall for my needs. I would like to know about its performance from someone who has used it.
10. FIIO - KA3: Appears average in performance based on my research. Otherwise, it fits my needs.

I am researching on my end, but your views and experience will help.

Thanks.

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #21,138 of 23,552
Could anyone please suggest to me a good dongle DAC/DAC-AMP (with a 3.5mm out and 4.4 mm balanced out) for my 64 Audio Trio? My budget is a maximum of USD 200.

I currently own the Qudelix 5k and am happy with it but due to its in-built battery, I find it a little too bulky and heavy. I am looking for something lighter and more compact (without battery). And most importantly, it should pair well with the Trio, i.e., it should not be 'treble bright' because in my experience the Trio already has a slight tendency for brighter treble at times.

Based on what's available in my country, here are the products I have seen so far:
1. Earmen Sparrow: really looks nice, small, light, and very portable. It has a 2.5 mm o/p. though. I prefer the 4.4 mm o/p. but can compromise on this aspect if there is no other/better one available.
2. Cayin RU6: looks fine but is above my budget. I can try and spend a little more but only if it is absolutely worth it though.
3. LOTOO - PAW S2: same case as the Cayin RU6 above.
4. MOONDROP MoonRiver 2 : looks good and fits my needs overall. But not sure about its size and weight.
5. Lotoo PAW S1: has all that I want but the size appears to be very slightly on the bigger side (think I can compromise here if performance is good). I would like to know about its performance from someone who has used it.
5. ASTELL&KERN - AK HC2: not sure how good this one is in terms of performance. I don't see any reviews on the local store's website and very few reviews on YouTube.
6. XDUOO - LINK2 BAL: don't know much about this one. Seems to be an average performer based on what little I have read.
7. IBASSO - DC06: has all that I want but the size appears to be on the bigger side. Also, not sure about its performance.
8. SHANLING - UA3: seems to be a good fit overall for my needs. I would like to know about its performance from someone who has used it.
9. SHANLING - UA2 PLUS: seems to be a good fit overall for my needs. I would like to know about its performance from someone who has used it.
10. FIIO - KA3: Appears average in performance based on my research. Otherwise, it fits my needs.

I am researching on my end, but your views and experience will help.

Thanks.
I can only weigh in on the RU6 but I found it an excellent performer on both the U12t (owned) and U18t (own) and that I used when demoing the Trio. It has a really involving/musical sound with warm-ish mids and an ever so slightly rolled off treble that may suit the Trio just fine. I'm sure you'd be able to either find a good deal on a new one (some holiday sales coming up in November) or a used one. There's not much "used" in these devices as it's just a cable in one end and in the other and that's it. And if the owner used it with a case then there'd be no scratches or anything either.

drftr

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #21,139 of 23,552
the Zorloo Ztella might fit your bill. It scores good in many reviews and it's the size on the apple dongle. I have it and sounds pretty good when compared with the Qudelix (which I also have)

I looked at the Zorloo Ztella. It has just a 3.5 mm o/p. though. I prefer something with 3.5 mm and 4.4 mm o/ps.

Oct 28, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #21,142 of 23,552
I can only weigh in on the RU6 but I found it an excellent performer on both the U12t (owned) and U18t (own) and that I used when demoing the Trio. It has a really involving/musical sound with warm-ish mids and an ever so slightly rolled off treble that may suit the Trio just fine. I'm sure you'd be able to either find a good deal on a new one (some holiday sales coming up in November) or a used one. There's not much "used" in these devices as it's just a cable in one end and in the other and that's it. And if the owner used it with a case then there'd be no scratches or anything either.

drftr

What did the U18t give you that the U12 lacked, are the differences stark or subtle between the two? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #21,143 of 23,552
What did the U18t give you that the U12 lacked, are the differences stark or subtle between the two? Thanks for any info.
Stark. I find the U18t much more balanced and enjoyable. The U12t had too much bass and lacking definition even with m15 while mX and FiR Red made it too light. The mids were veiled for me. Pleasant and warm, but not having enough definition and as if singers and certain instruments were playing from behind a curtain. On top of that I missed openness (is that a word in English?) and sparkle up top to make it sound lively and inviting. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good IEM. But I fall asleep listening to it. If for instance I listen to a live album I want to have the idea I'm in the audience. But the U12t gave me the idea I was in an acoustically treated dead room instead. Not my cup of tea.

drftr

Oct 28, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #21,144 of 23,552
I answer this too if you like. U12t has LID tech, U18t does not, so you get very different sounds out of U18t using different amps when U12t will sound pretty similar with different amps. With a proper amp capable of driving U18t you get most linear output of any 64 Audio IEM's with the U18t. For some people U18t top end is uncomfortably detailed, it is about 3-4db more gain than U12t has in the 5-10khz. At the same time U18t has more "body" in the 60 to 500hz (again + 3-4db), so for me personally U18t is way better, than U12t but I am a simple man and I would like to use them with my phone, but the amp in my phone cannot properly run the U18t, it will sound wrong. But then again, the amp in my MBP can :)

Oct 28, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #21,145 of 23,552
I answer this too if you like. U12t has LID tech, U18t does not, so you get very different sounds out of U18t using different amps when U12t will sound pretty similar with different amps. With a proper amp capable of driving U18t you get most linear output of any 64 Audio IEM's with the U18t. For some people U18t top end is uncomfortably detailed, it is about 3-4db more gain than U12t has in the 5-10khz. At the same time U18t has more "body" in the 60 to 500hz (again + 3-4db), so for me personally U18t is way better, than U12t but I am a simple man and I would like to use them with my phone, but the amp in my phone cannot properly run the U18t, it will sound wrong. But then again, the amp in my MBP can :)
A simply dongle will do though if it has a low output impedance. I think most that are able to fork over $3,000 for an IEM would be willing to spend $300 on a dongle :wink: Still you have a valid point and I agree with your impressions too.

drftr

Oct 28, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #21,146 of 23,552
Stark. I find the U18t much more balanced and enjoyable. The U12t had too much bass and lacking definition even with m15 while mX and FiR Red made it too light. The mids were veiled for me. Pleasant and warm, but not having enough definition and as if singers and certain instruments were playing from behind a curtain. On top of that I missed openness (is that a word in English?) and sparkle up top to make it sound lively and inviting. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good IEM. But I fall asleep listening to it. If for instance I listen to a live album I want to have the idea I'm in the audience. But the U12t gave me the idea I was in an acoustically treated dead room instead. Not my cup of tea.

drftr

It's good to read some sobering words as I almost bought a set, your thoughts are similar to what a few others have said. And yet you're letting your 18's go?

That's very interesting, thank you. There is a reviewer on YouTube who say's he wasted his money on the U18t's as he can't hear much difference between the two, sounds like maybe his amp wasn't the best match.

Oct 28, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #21,147 of 23,552
It's good to read some sobering words as I almost bought a set, your thoughts are similar to what a few others have said. And yet you're letting your 18's go?

That's very interesting, thank you. There is a reviewer on YouTube who say's he wasted his money on the U18t's as he can't hear much difference between the two, sounds like maybe his amp wasn't the best match.
The problem with getting better is that you start asking yourself why to stop here... :wink: But for me it's also because of practical reasons because as a permanent traveller there's not too many regions on the planet where I can stock up. From South Korea where I am now I will head mostly overland to South Africa, so my opportunities will be drying up in a few weeks. So I have to change now or after perhaps 1.5 years. It's better for both me and the buyer of my U18t to do it now so I bit the bullit.

drftr

Oct 29, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #21,150 of 23,552
Btw some might get the impression that LID tech prevents any alteration of sound from sources which isn’t accurate. All it does is mitigates the difference in sound due to impedance differences only.
So DAC/amps still do make a difference for the U12t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back