The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 29, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #21,151 of 23,608
Btw some might get the impression that LID tech prevents any alteration of sound from sources which isn’t accurate. All it does is mitigates the difference in sound due to impedance differences only.
So DAC/amps still do make a difference for the U12t.
I like to make tests as I have the equipment to do so. Here is a pic of mesaurements of three very different amps driving U12t placed on top of each other, the differences are minimal at the best, the other pic is the measurements of U18t with the same three amps placed on top of each other. There you can clearly see, that depending on the amp you might end up with the U18t having 9db of less bass and 9db of less top end, or more. Sure there are parameters other than frequency response, but that is clearly the main parameter what affect what we hear
Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 12.34.33.png
Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 12.38.03.png
. Each horizontal line is 1db.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #21,152 of 23,608
I like to make tests as I have the equipment to do so. Here is a pic of mesaurements of three very different amps driving U12t placed on top of each other, the differences are minimal at the best, the other pic is the measurements of U18t with the same three amps placed on top of each other. There you can clearly see, that depending on the amp you might end up with the U18t having 9db of less bass and 9db of less top end, or more. Sure there are parameters other than frequency response, but that is clearly the main parameter what affect what we hear. Each horizontal line is 1db.
👍

That's why 64Audio recommends an amp with a low output impedance.

Would be interesting to know which amps you used and which line they represent.

drftr

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #21,153 of 23,608
I like to make tests as I have the equipment to do so. Here is a pic of mesaurements of three very different amps driving U12t placed on top of each other, the differences are minimal at the best, the other pic is the measurements of U18t with the same three amps placed on top of each other. There you can clearly see, that depending on the amp you might end up with the U18t having 9db of less bass and 9db of less top end, or more. Sure there are parameters other than frequency response, but that is clearly the main parameter what affect what we hearScreenshot 2022-10-29 at 12.34.33.pngScreenshot 2022-10-29 at 12.38.03.png. Each horizontal line is 1db.
Now throw in different cables witch have different Ohms and it will explain why people hear a difference too 😬 (I like to stir up things)

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #21,154 of 23,608
Now throw in different cables witch have different Ohms and it will explain why people hear a difference too 😬 (I like to stir up things)
Does anyone actually know how much variation there actually is in that regard? To the best of my knowledge we’re talking fractions of an ohm over a very short length. But most cable manufacturers don’t appear to list things like that (64 being one of the few I’m aware of: their $200 Premium cable is 0.23ohms, $300 Premium 8-Braid 0.28ohms and the rest don’t say).

This is EVERYTHING Effect Audio gives you for a $2,000 cable https://www.effectaudio.com/chiron-4w :

SPECIFICATION

• 26AWG 4Wires
  • Selected Premium UP-OCC Material
  • Gold Plated Silver / Gold Plated Silver Gold Alloy Hybrid
  • Septuplet Core Bundle Litz
  • Multi-Sized Stranding
  • EA Ultra Flexi™ Insulation
  • Superior PSquared/P-EA Plug with Titanium Casing
  • Titanium Shelled ConX ®️ Interchangeable Connector
Absolutely no mention of resistance, inductance or anything else that could possibly affect an IEMs sound.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #21,155 of 23,608
Does anyone actually know how much variation there actually is in that regard? To the best of my knowledge we’re talking fractions of an ohm over a very short length. But most cable manufacturers don’t appear to list things like that (64 being one of the few I’m aware of).

This is EVERYTHING Effect Audio gives you for a $2,000 cable https://www.effectaudio.com/chiron-4w :

SPECIFICATION

• 26AWG 4Wires
  • Multi-Sized Stranding
Absolutely no mention of resistance, inductance or anything else that could possibly affect an IEMs sound.
From memory most cables have less than about 2 Ohms resistance. That is way way way below the max 50 Ohm 64Audio recommends for IEMs with a higher impedance.

drftr

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #21,156 of 23,608
Does anyone actually know how much variation there actually is in that regard? To the best of my knowledge we’re talking fractions of an ohm over a very short length. But most cable manufacturers don’t appear to list things like that (64 being one of the few I’m aware of).

SPECIFICATION

• 26AWG 4Wires
  • Multi-Sized Stranding
Good point, silver vs Cooper is 7%… but you tend to find better connections the more you pay and tend to pay a lot more for a silver cable… that’s where I think the resistance is found.

Watch their video and the sound differences between cables https://hosatech.com/press-release/the-advantage-of-silver-cable/

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #21,157 of 23,608
Oct 29, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #21,158 of 23,608
From memory most cables have less than about 2 Ohms resistance. That is way way way below the max 50 Ohm 64Audio recommends for IEMs with a higher impedance.

drftr
Based upon my (limited) understanding a 2 ohm IEM cable would have to be tiny or made out of cheaply implemented CCA (copper clad aluminum) or some such. I’d assume 64 Audios aftermarket cables are about average for their class (the $200 Premium is 0.23ohms, their $300 is 0.28). But,… bare in mind I’ve done no more than familiarize myself on the basic science behind this subject, I’ve not looked into cables themselves.
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8cfmir/comment/dxekmc5/ seems it’s more about the design of the IEM than anything?
That is absolutely the case. Generally the lower ohms an IEM is the more likely it is that using something to increase the ohms the amplifier sees will change the sound signature. But,… not everything is designed that way.

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #21,159 of 23,608
Good point, silver vs Cooper is 7%… but you tend to find better connections the more you pay and tend to pay a lot more for a silver cable… that’s where I think the resistance is found.

Watch their video and the sound differences between cables https://hosatech.com/press-release/the-advantage-of-silver-cable/
It’d be interesting to know how good the connections inside IEMs are,… as that could be a limiting factor once you get into expensive cables.

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #21,160 of 23,608
Does anyone actually know how much variation there actually is in that regard? To the best of my knowledge we’re talking fractions of an ohm over a very short length. But most cable manufacturers don’t appear to list things like that (64 being one of the few I’m aware of: their $200 Premium cable is 0.23ohms, $300 Premium 8-Braid 0.28ohms and the rest don’t say).

SPECIFICATION

• 26AWG 4Wires
  • Multi-Sized Stranding

It would have different RLC variations at different frequencies. You would know that thorough pairing it up with the u18T yourself

And yes, Gold silver alloy hybrid sounds different than silver due to more effects on RLC properties than pure silver

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #21,161 of 23,608
👍

That's why 64Audio recommends an amp with a low output impedance.

Would be interesting to know which amps you used and which line they represent.

drftr
I do not own "high end" HP amps but lots of ones musicians or sound engineers use, either in their sound cards, mixing desks, "bodypacks" or other so called "professional" devices. These tests I have done are just out of pure interest if and how random HP amps do or do not affect the sound. But just to give some reference to the graphs I say one of them is a professional external sound card that musicians often use to monitor their mixing or recording (the one that gives you the worst sounding result with the U18t) then the second one is my iphone that was the last model that had HP output built in and the third amp is Mojo. It is interesting to see about Mojo and Macbook Pro that I have (2012) result in 1:1 same frequency response graph. The only problem is that the amp in macbook pro is too powerful for IEM and we cannot turn the amp side down, just the signal that is fed to the amp, resulting in high noise floor since noise comes from the amp that is always at 100%

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #21,162 of 23,608

SPECIFICATION

• 26AWG 4Wires
  • Multi-Sized Stranding
You can estimate based on gauges and at least come up with a delta between materials.

For 24-26 awg the differences between copper and silver are on the order of about ~0.005 ohms for typical iem cable length at the worst case scenario of 20 kHz. That's for the artificially dominant case of a solid single wire... Litz and insulated cable strands will remove even that.

In practice, actual cable impedance is dominated by connectors and any other transition and is still way below amp impedance.

Linum also provide impedance specs for their quite nice cables. They and 64audio are the only ones I've come across...

Oct 29, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #21,163 of 23,608
Whats the best cable to pair with a18t these days?

It used to be the 1950s or first times from pw, any suggestions?

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #21,165 of 23,608
I think the shielded PW Audio Orpheus is the best combination used by members here. But then you're talking 8 grand or so for the cable.

drftr
Do you guys personally feel any difference between shielded and non shield versions? Not Orpheus specifically but other models such as first times or 1950s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back