The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 29, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #21,166 of 23,608
Do you guys personally feel any difference between shielded and non shield versions? Not Orpheus specifically but other models such as first times or 1950s.
I haven't compared shielded vs non-shielded as they're too heavy and cumbersome for travelling for me so I'm not interested enough in doing the tests. If I could even find both versions to demo that is...

drftr

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #21,167 of 23,608
It’d be interesting to know how good the connections inside IEMs are,… as that could be a limiting factor once you get into expensive cables.
I think the shielded PW Audio Orpheus is the best combination used by members here. But then you're talking 8 grand or so for the cable.

drftr
Seriously?! Anyone pays that much for a cable? I’ve listened to 800K speakers… then I get 8K for cables, but 8K cable for 2-4K IEM…

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #21,168 of 23,608
Seriously?! Anyone pays that much for a cable? I’ve listened to 800K speakers… then I get 8K for cables, but 8K cable for 2-4K IEM…
The most expensive interlink cable is about $60,000 if I recall correctly. It's interesting to keep looking how far reproduction of music can get, and some people simply have more money than others. (me being in the "others" camp but quite willing to move to "some")

drftr

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #21,169 of 23,608
The most expensive interlink cable is about $60,000 if I recall correctly. It's interesting to keep looking how far reproduction of music can get, and some people simply have more money than others. (me being in the "others" camp but quite willing to move to "some")

drftr
Yea but do you have a $600,000 car and a $100,000 live in girlfriend to go with that? Then it makes sense…

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #21,171 of 23,608
Oct 30, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #21,172 of 23,608
Now throw in different cables witch have different Ohms and it will explain why people hear a difference too 😬 (I like to stir up things)
Speaking of cables, the pw first times shielded version on the u18t is damn sublime, the non shielded version is good, but the shielded version, whoa. Just grabbed the 1st times pw audio shielded version off Andrew @ musictek.

It is still very interesting to me how in USA the cable debate and divided camps are so extreme compared to asia where cable effectiveness is much more recognized/celebrated/appreciated, for me after investing into a proper DAP, I feel the cable definitely (despite high diminishing returns) brings out the best from both the DAP and IEM where it can potentially cross that point of "wow, whoa, yo, wow." lol

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #21,173 of 23,608
Speaking of cables, the pw first times shielded version on the u18t is damn sublime, the non shielded version is good, but the shielded version, whoa. Just grabbed the shielded version off Andrew @ musictek.

It is still very interesting to me how in USA the cable debate and divided camps are so extreme, for me after investing into a proper DAP, I feel the cable definitely (despite high diminishing returns) brings out the best from both the DAP and IEM where it crosses that point of "whoa"
Wott??? The unshielded FT was the best I've heard so far. Totally top notch!

drftr

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #21,174 of 23,608
Wott??? The unshielded FT was the best I've heard so far. Totally top notch!

drftr
the unshielded version definitely much more friendly and light/pliable compared to the shielded, I opted for shielded despite the inconvenience of slightly less light/pliable, since I was debating full on closed back headphones for my dap, but decided to stick with the IEMS, easy decision for me.

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #21,175 of 23,608
the unshielded version definitely much more friendly and light/pliable compared to the shielded, I opted for shielded despite the inconvenience of slightly less light/pliable, since I was debating full on closed back headphones for my dap, but decided to stick with the IEMS, easy decision for me.
Hmm... Maybe I should take my U18t off the Classifieds and fork over much more money for a better cable. 🤔 They pick up differences very easily and scale like crazy.

drftr

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #21,176 of 23,608
Hmm... Maybe I should take my U18t off the Classifieds and fork over much more money for a better cable. 🤔 They pick up differences very easily and scale like crazy.

drftr
I highly reccomend trying first times shielded and no shielded back to back (first times pw), I was very surprised as I went into it expecting not much of a difference, and was wanting to save $ also, so this was a pleasant surprise, but a not so pleasant surprise for my wallet. sigh.

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #21,177 of 23,608
I highly reccomend trying first times shielded and no shielded back to back (first times pw), I was very surprised as I went into it expecting not much of a difference, and was wanting to save $ also, so this was a pleasant surprise, but a not so pleasant surprise for my wallet. sigh.
The problem I have with most top cables is that they're too microphonic. I move my head too much when listening to music apparently and especially when listening to for instance solo violin I hear the amplified scraping of the cable against my clothes like crazy and it becomes almost as loud as the instrument. Mind you, I'm just sitting in a chair and not even walking or something like that. That's much more a big No to me than the price (although I wouldn't want to pay more than perhaps 2.5-3k for a cable anyway).

drftr

Oct 30, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #21,178 of 23,608
absolutely crazy

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #21,179 of 23,608
The problem I have with most top cables is that they're too microphonic. I move my head too much when listening to music apparently and especially when listening to for instance solo violin I hear the amplified scraping of the cable against my clothes like crazy and it becomes almost as loud as the instrument. Mind you, I'm just sitting in a chair and not even walking or something like that. That's much more a big No to me than the price (although I wouldn't want to pay more than perhaps 2.5-3k for a cable anyway).

drftr
Y-split zipper and 0.5$ cable clip to fix it on your clothes is a solution for this multi-thousand dollar issue)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back