The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 30, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #21,181 of 23,651
Where do you clip it on a t-shirt? Does it work?

drftr
Anywhere on a top half of a t-shirt. Helps a lot, even when i walk.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #21,187 of 23,651
Excellent idea, but then the big boys like yourself please chime in on how to do this with much bigger and heavier cables. For the benefit of all, remember? :wink:

drftr
It’s funny because usually the first thing I do when I see a cable with a cable clip attached is remove it. 😬:head_bandage:

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #21,188 of 23,651
It’s funny because usually the first thing I do when I see a cable with a cable clip attached is remove it. 😬:head_bandage:
I know... But I, and apparently others, have 2 choices here: Live without microphonics or live without top notch cables. Easy-peasy for audiophiles, as we all know we're totally ridiculous anyway. Adding a cable clip doesn't tip the balance, as one side is firm on the floor for a mighty long time already.

drftr

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #21,189 of 23,651
The problem I have with most top cables is that they're too microphonic. I move my head too much when listening to music apparently and especially when listening to for instance solo violin I hear the amplified scraping of the cable against my clothes like crazy and it becomes almost as loud as the instrument. Mind you, I'm just sitting in a chair and not even walking or something like that. That's much more a big No to me than the price (although I wouldn't want to pay more than perhaps 2.5-3k for a cable anyway).

drftr

I always believed one of the reasons for buying expensive cables was because they don't suffer from microphonics like the cheaper one they're replacing. Good to know not that I'm likely to buy one.

Y-split zipper and 0.5$ cable clip to fix it on your clothes is a solution for this multi-thousand dollar issue)

Reminds me of when the US asked their Russian counterparts how they write in space as they're pens wouldn't work, 'we use a pencil' was the reply.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #21,190 of 23,651
I’m personally not a fan of thick heavy cables. The thickest cable I own is a doctorjuggles 1950s with a nylon sleeve.

I used to love Null Audio cables as they offered the option of Nylon sleeving (half & full) on their cables. It was a very smooth sleeving almost like paracord. Unfortunately, they no longer offer this.

I'm wondering if a magnetic cable clip would work.

Oct 30, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #21,191 of 23,651
I know... But I, and apparently others, have 2 choices here: Live without microphonics or live without top notch cables. Easy-peasy for audiophiles, as we all know we're totally ridiculous anyway. Adding a cable clip doesn't tip the balance, as one side is firm on the floor for a mighty long time already.

drftr
False trade off - these are not mutually exclusive. I have plenty of 8 wire high end cables from @PLUSSOUND and others (including @doctorjuggles) that are not microphonic.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #21,193 of 23,651
I've tried the X8 and the upmarket PWA cables that are cloned and those are, while the "lower" priced aren't.

drftr
Sorry to hear that.
Perhaps we define this differently or have different notions of what’s acceptable or not, but I have not oberserved any microphonics with any of the cables from the brands i mentioned. I have had several variants of X8 and an X6 from Plussound, and both 4-wire and 8-wire variants from Dr Juggles - no microphonics.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #21,194 of 23,651
Makes traveling such a more bearable experience... with some good quality music!

I am forever an open back desktop guy, but the PW First Times Shielded alongside SP3000/a18t is quite amazing as well.

From my experience I would say IEMS are 50 percent, DAP 30 percent, and cable being 20 percent of the audio pie. (Assuming all gear are on same tier level)

Regarding the cable stuff, I have myself been back and forth regarding if the cables help, and I have come to the conclusion that it is a definite yes for me. At the end of the day despite enjoying to read diff experiences, one has to try for themselves and form their own opinions rather than to rely on forums, though this forum is full of gems.

When I demoed the shielded vs non shielded version of the first times, it was quite noticeable. Sound stage widens by a good amount and bass is higher in quality/quantity.

For me, I was always frustrated in that IEMs seem to have their limits of scaling up (and they do) but I must say, this specific combo is pretty damn good.

The SP3000 with the U18t is already pretty darn good. The extra icing on cake with the pw first times shielded in combination of the sp3000/a18t is just glorious.

I know that many people mention that DAPs do most of the heavy lifting, and they are correct.

If I were to use an on the fly metaphor, let's use boxing/punching someone as an example.

Imagine the dap representing that strong right uppercut, it's good damage for sure but the opponent is still standing with wobbly legs. (DAP)

But imagine following it up with a faint and another straight jab (Cable)

By itself the uppercut did a lot of the damage already (DAP) but the jab following (cable) in combination, gives potential for the opponent to be knocked out despite it being "only a jab"

In combination the cable and DAP does each other great justice by bringing out the "best" in each other.

1 + 1 = 3 kind of thing

Common knowledge as usual: IEMS, DAP, Cable

^in that order but dont underestimate the jab

Attachments

• 16671780184163382508141907085345.jpg
    16671780184163382508141907085345.jpg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back