The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 24, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #21,106 of 23,608
I also have one ear slightly bigger than the other and so with Sedna earfit lights & crystals I use ML on the left and L on the right. It’s different with the Symbio F though. As they are foam I find that I can use the same size for both ears as the foam will just expand to the shape I need.
My fellow countryman Vincent van Gogh solved that problem in a slightly more rigorous way!

drftr

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #21,107 of 23,608
I also have one ear slightly bigger than the other and so with Sedna earfit lights & crystals I use ML on the left and L on the right. It’s different with the Symbio F though. As they are foam I find that I can use the same size for both ears as the foam will just expand to the shape I need.
What size do you use for symbio F?

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #21,108 of 23,608
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #21,109 of 23,608
For the fellow 64 audio IEM owners, do you guys feel that DAPS made more of an improvement to your IEMs or the aftermarket IEM cable?

(not being sarcastic in case anyone thinks I am trying to be funny, serious question)

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #21,110 of 23,608
For the fellow 64 audio IEM owners, do you guys feel that DAPS made more of an improvement to your IEMs or the aftermarket IEM cable?

(not being sarcastic in case anyone thinks I am trying to be funny, serious question)
I'd say for 100% sound quality

40% IEM *
30% eartips *
15% source
15% cable

but I realize that's not helping you much...

(*) can totally make or break the sound

drftr

Oct 26, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #21,111 of 23,608

IMHO... the cable matters a lot for comfort, but very little or not at regarding the sound (unless its complete garbage or defective). Tips matter a whole lot for comfort, but mainly affect sound quality based on how much or little isolation they provide. The DAP matters a ton, huge differences based on what you use.

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #21,112 of 23,608

DAP or desktop source for sure makes a big difference. i haven’t experimented with cables much, but i can hear significant changes with different sources.

For eg my SR25 is ok, but i much prefer the RS6 as i find the warmth from the R2R dac pairs well with the 12t. Similar story with the Bifrost2/Vali2+ desktop rig.

Oct 26, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #21,113 of 23,608
Anyone know if there’s ever a discount on u12t’s? Black Friday or if any dealers tend to discount if asked in private…

It seems I need a pair…

Oct 26, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #21,114 of 23,608
Anyone know if there’s ever a discount on u12t’s? Black Friday or if any dealers tend to discount if asked in private…

It seems I need a pair…
B-stocks, but I think that’s it.

For the fellow 64 audio IEM owners, do you guys feel that DAPS made more of an
improvement to your IEMs or the aftermarket IEM cable?
DAPs shouldn’t make much of a difference especially with 64’s LID. I’ve heard a lot about how different DAPs have different sound signatures but I’ve also heard they don’t (unless you count how DACs and amps effect sound). Get the best you’re willing to pay for and you should be fine.

I’m not going to get into cables other than saying it is VERY controversial. One camp says they have all the science of their size and the other says they have experience to back up their opinions. But psychology is always left out of the conversation, especially confirmation bias. Everyone who says they change the sound say it’s by a small margin, which COULD be explained away by their expectations shaping what they hear/how they listen. If you’re on the fence do your own research (NOT on forums, don’t listen to random people on the internet about this, including myself).

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #21,117 of 23,608
In response to @F208Frank

I have always been a big believer in speakers being the most important part of a sound system followed by the source ( dacs, Amps, etc). I essentially follow the same for portable audio with some modifications as IEMs fit in your ear and do not stand on the floor. Therefore I go by:

1.- IEMs. This includes their fit. Therefore ear tips are included in this choice ( or custom ). If you cannot get the IEM to fit you comfortably, it will never sound its best and will never be comfortable, and you will not use it. They need to be easy to remove, put in and seal etc.

2.- source or DAP for portable audio. Obviously a dongle can be used as well.

3.- Cables to get the most out of your IEM.

Now, once you have an excellent source, a cable can bring more of an improvement vs another dap unless you are looking for a colored sound. I will also say with positivity, being that you are on this forum, you will end up with all of the above and multiples of some if not all. It may be just a matter of what order you acquire them. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #21,118 of 23,608
Hi. FYI - I finally purchased the Trio today. Got it for $1,910. I am still feeling guilty about this expensive purchase :disappointed_relieved: but am thoroughly enjoying the sound! :ksc75smile:

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #21,119 of 23,608

My experience is that cable upgrades can improve the sound but it’s not a significant improvement.
But upgrading the source (DAP) can bring significant improvements.

Case in point: I have cable upgrades for 2 IEMS (not 64 Audio) and my Focal headphones, all with 4.4mm balanced connectors.
Yes there was an improvement. It wasn’t huge and IMO maybe not enough to justify the cost of the cable upgrades.
But I was also going from single ended to balanced on my DAP. Was the improvement from the cables or the balanced connection? I don’t know.
However, I later upgraded my DAP to a Chord Hugo2/2Go (Not exactly a DAP but close enough?)
The Hugo2 only has single ended outputs so I had to revert to the stock cables.
The improvement in all aspects of sound quality was massive. Significantly more than I’d experienced with cable upgrades. Thus I feel no desire to upgrade the cable for my u18s.

I appreciate there are many variables here and it’s hardly a ”scientific” comparison.
But my experience leads me to think your money may be better spent on a source upgrade before a cable upgrade.

Edit: In thinking about my post I realized I compared an upgrade of several hundred dollars (cable) to an upgrade of several thousand dollars (DAP). 😅
So let me change my opinion to:
$1000+ investment - Source/DAP
<$1000 investment - Cable or save your money for a source upgrade

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #21,120 of 23,608
Hello everyone. First post.
I came here to introduce myself and give my (positive) initial impressions of the U18s which arrived yesterday.
While I was typing I adjusted the memory wire on the right side and the sound started cutting in and out.
Thought maybe I had a bad cable so I switched L & R sides but it didn’t help.
The right IEM is now dead.
So yeah: That’s my first impression 😐
They’re from an authorized dealer so helpfully they will cooperate.
Messages of consolation welcome 😅😭
In case anyone was wondering: All’s well that ends well.
I received a replacement (rather than a repair - nice!) from 64 Audio yesterday.
It was sent to me via FedEx International Priority (also nice)
So thanks to @64Audio for promptly responding here and taking care of me.
And for my fellow Canadians, or maybe anyone, I can heartily recommend my dealer https://www.noteworthyaudio.com/
My original order arrived next business day with free shipping, and communication was excellent all through this. They even refunded the cost of shipping the defective IEMS back to 64 Audio.
A+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back