The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 10, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #21,076 of 23,712
Hi everyone. My first post here from an actual account, although have been reading head-if for 2y now.
I’ve been using tia Trio for a few months now and it has been great for me. Initially driving them with budget stuff until moving to Hugo2. The way they changed is remarkable, even with that wonky tuning, which i could notice on previous gear, now became really smooth natural and detailed. It is a perfect mobile student rig for me
I will want to move to some overhead high end headphones. Could get an Arya Stealth right now to pair with the Hugo, however I wonder if they would stack up with the Trio. Maybe I should save up for sth like dca expanse or lcd-5. Later getting more powerful desktop amp

Oct 10, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #21,077 of 23,712
I use mine everywhere really. Although I have not had them long enough to try them on a flight yet (next month). I used mine initially with the M15 module, now I use the N13 (FIR Audio) module. This is a little less isolating but I like the slightly airier presentation. The outside noise does not tend to be an issue for me.
There is one more module option that I rarely see discussed anywhere. 64 Audio has an M26 SOLID PLUG option that is, as the name implies, -26db of isolation. If you are in a situation where you need more isolation, these may work for you. However, my understanding is that these change the sound dramatically and are not recommended for general listening. To me, the M20 module is already a little dead sounding (relatively speaking), so I can imagine the M26 is gonna be seriously over damped.
"This is a replacement module intended ONLY for use with the custom-fit High Fidelity Earplugs. It is not recommended for use with A-Series custom-fit or U-Series universal-fit IEMs." - quote directly from Solid Plug's webpage

Oct 11, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #21,078 of 23,712
Hi everyone. My first post here from an actual account, although have been reading head-if for 2y now.
I’ve been using tia Trio for a few months now and it has been great for me. Initially driving them with budget stuff until moving to Hugo2. The way they changed is remarkable, even with that wonky tuning, which i could notice on previous gear, now became really smooth natural and detailed. It is a perfect mobile student rig for me
I will want to move to some overhead high end headphones. Could get an Arya Stealth right now to pair with the Hugo, however I wonder if they would stack up with the Trio. Maybe I should save up for sth like dca expanse or lcd-5. Later getting more powerful desktop amp
Have you listened to any of those headphones? If not I’d recommend waiting until you can (especially if you’re happy with the Trios). Otherwise that’s a personal decision, no one can tell you if it’d be worth buying one headphone over another for you (unless there’s something wrong with them). If you can’t demo,… read all the reviews you can, compare frequency response graphs of the headphones and ones you’ve heard and have an opinion about (comparing headphone graphs to IEM graphs is tricky, at best). Do all the research you can (which you have at least started by asking this question). Good luck

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #21,079 of 23,712

Based on how you like Trio, I think Meze Elite would be better choice for TOTL Headphone. LCD-5 would be way too much midrange, haven't heard the Expanse though.

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #21,080 of 23,712
Have you listened to any of those headphones? If not I’d recommend waiting until you can (especially if you’re happy with the Trios). Otherwise that’s a personal decision, no one can tell you if it’d be worth buying one headphone over another for you (unless there’s something wrong with them). If you can’t demo,… read all the reviews you can, compare frequency response graphs of the headphones and ones you’ve heard and have an opinion about (comparing headphone graphs to IEM graphs is tricky, at best). Do all the research you can (which you have at least started by asking this question). Good luck
I’ve had the lcd-5 for a few days. I don’t aim to find sth similar to trio, but sth that does other aspects of the sound better. I am quite a geek and know about every word said about these particular models. However it’s all still hella expensive😂

Oct 11, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #21,081 of 23,712
Based on how you like Trio, I think Meze Elite would be better choice for TOTL Headphone. LCD-5 would be way too much midrange, haven't heard the Expanse though.
I sim for sth technically proficient and as many say, meze isn’t really competing in that regard in this price range. LCD-5 was really great for jazz and instrumental music. For modern and more dynamic tracks Trio was a lot better, but the midrangy lcd-5 experience was great and made me appreciate songs that I normally wouldn’t on trio. Great compliment to the experience overall

Final d8000pro I didn’t like at all in comparison (I had them both for tests). Abyss Diana TC is also sth I’d love to try, but I would have to get some great deal on it, and I wouldn’t be able to drive them from Hugo2, at least initially

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #21,082 of 23,712
Quickly polling interest here for my 1 month old U18t which obviously is in an immaculate condition. Great price guaranteed.

My U12t I also sold off quickly as I wanted to step up my game. Guess what? I still want to try to get a notch higher. Not easy, but it's itching, so what's a man to do?

Since I'm travelling in Eastern Asia at the moment it would (or at least could) help if you were based anywhere near.

Tnx...

drftr

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #21,083 of 23,712
Quickly polling interest here for my 1 month old U18t which obviously is in an immaculate condition. Great price guaranteed.

My U12t I also sold off quickly as I wanted to step up my game. Guess what? I still want to try to get a notch higher. Not easy, but it's itching, so what's a man to do?

Since I'm travelling in Eastern Asia at the moment it would (or at least could) help if you were based anywhere near.

Tnx...

drftr

Understanding that you're not completely satisfied with either, just wondering if you could post a brief comparison of the two? What did you like or not like about each? I'm not a potential buyer, just curious.

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #21,084 of 23,712
Understanding that you're not completely satisfied with either, just wondering if you could post a brief comparison of the two? What did you like or not like about each? I'm not a potential buyer, just curious.
I'm looking for the unicorn, a U15t: A bit better resolution and texture in the bass, and more open mids, sparkle, and air than the U12t, and a little more meat and warmth on bass/mids/treble than the U18t.

drftr

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #21,085 of 23,712
Were both of yours universal or were they/either customs? Changing tips can make a huge difference. At least, maybe the subtle differences it sounds like you’re after.

But,… if you’ve got the money to buy u12t then sell it to buy an 18t sight unseen,… I’d keep unicorn hunting if I were you. If you haven’t already maybe look into places to demo IEMs around where you are going. Demoing is the best (and cheapest) way to find what you’re after, and there are a few tons of food IEM manufacturers in Asia, depending on what region(s) you’re visiting. Checking out shops there (if you can) could be a great start.

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #21,086 of 23,712
Were both of yours universal or were they/either customs? Changing tips can make a huge difference. At least, maybe the subtle differences it sounds like you’re after.

But,… if you’ve got the money to buy u12t then sell it to buy an 18t sight unseen,… I’d keep unicorn hunting if I were you. If you haven’t already maybe look into places to demo IEMs around where you are going. Demoing is the best (and cheapest) way to find what you’re after, and there are a few tons of food IEM manufacturers in Asia, depending on what region(s) you’re visiting. Checking out shops there (if you can) could be a great start.
Tips don't do enough unfortunately. I used 12 different ones so I'm done I think. Cables don't do enough either. I've sold the U12t and will probably do the same with the U18t.

drftr

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #21,087 of 23,712
I wasn’t going to say this because a technical IEM it is not. But, I was originally planning on going the route you did for the same reasons (starting with 12t). But I ended up getting the Nio because,… b-stock sale for 1,200. I got it assuming I’d sell it shortly (based upon demos it wasn’t my favorite). But after a few days with it I can’t say I care about it’s lack of technical chops compared to the 12t. I love the tuning and it is surprising technical given that. to my ears it just sounds “right”.

I know that’s not what you’re after but even if you have demoed it already maybe give it another try. It doesn’t sound like it but maybe.

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #21,088 of 23,712
I wasn’t going to say this because a technical IEM it is not. But, I was originally planning on going the route you did for the same reasons (starting with 12t). But I ended up getting the Nio because,… b-stock sale for 1,200. I got it assuming I’d sell it shortly (based upon demos it wasn’t my favorite). But after a few days with it I can’t say I care about it’s lack of technical chops compared to the 12t. I love the tuning and it is surprising technical given that. to my ears it just sounds “right”.

I know that’s not what you’re after but even if you have demoed it already maybe give it another try. It doesn’t sound like it but maybe.
I only had the chance to demo the original N8 for which the Nio became the official universal version (I believe?). Wonderful IEM!

drftr

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #21,089 of 23,712
I only had the chance to demo the original N8 for which the Nio became the official universal version (I believe?). Wonderful IEM!

drftr
Hm. I don’t know how much stock you can put in this, but, Crinical got the N8 assuming it’d be the same as the universal demo unit of the same (which he particularly liked). But it wasn’t, he really didn’t like the N8 (at least compared to the universal demo). Where this actually applies to the Nio is when he reviewed it he quite liked it and thought it was pretty much the same as that universal demo N8 he really liked.

Probably the only part that really applies here is while there are similarities between the N8 and Nio they aren’t U and A versions of the same iem. And the Nio might actually be better, at least if one shares Crinical’s “taste” in IEMs. But if you liked the N8 the Nio might actually be worth considering. Again, it’s technicalities aren’t on par with the u12t but combined with it’s tuning,… I’m still looking for another iem with better technicalities combined with a tuning I jive with but I’m in no rush and won’t at all mind if the Nio ends up being the last IEM I buy. But,… again,… there are plenty of people who don’t like it. But, again, if you liked the N8,…

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #21,090 of 23,712
I'm looking for the unicorn, a U15t: A bit better resolution and texture in the bass, and more open mids, sparkle, and air than the U12t, and a little more meat and warmth on bass/mids/treble than the U18t.

drftr
Why not try the Trio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back