The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 19, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #19,681 of 23,668
The M?? numbering of the APEX modules refers to the isolation you get with each module. MX is 10db, M15 is 15db, and M20 is 20db isolation. The M20 should give you a more bassy, intimate sound, whereas the MX will sound lighter & brighter, with a corresponding wider stage perception.

I mostly use the M15 with the U6t, although when I went on a long-haul flight a couple months ago the U6t with the M20 module was exceptional at blocking out cabin noise. I think you mentioned U6t FTW before, and that is exactly what I thought at the time!!

At home in a generally quiet environment, you might not notice the differences as much, but when there is more ambient noise about you'll be able to tell. APEX is a great feature of these IEMs, allowing you to tune them to your preference or listening environment.
Thank you, this helps a ton, as I have never had a pair. Sounds like I need to play with them. So far I like the bass and isolation of the U6ts, but I'd like to see what these filters are about.

Ryan

Mar 20, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #19,684 of 23,668
I've got both U12T and Fourte. I prefer the U12T. But it could go either way.

Trio is my favorite from 64 Audio.
I own all three and Fourte is my favorite. :)

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #19,685 of 23,668
I own all three and Fourte is my favorite. :)

I recently bought a U18s, my first 64 Audio iem, and I’m quite impressed with its sound. And I love the aesthetics!

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #19,686 of 23,668
I recently bought a U18s, my first 64 Audio iem, and I’m quite impressed with its sound. And I love the aesthetics!
I'm listening to the Trio now because I thought of selling it. It is so good...😊 I have yet to hear a 64 audio IEM I don't like... I haven't heard the U18s. I'm sure I'd like that one too.

Looking for stuff to sell... I'll try the U18T next...😁

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #19,687 of 23,668
Just joined the club with a U6T, my first, proper IEM. Not much experience, other than an old Etymotic, so I can’t really compare against anything else, but I like them. Initially I used the stock foam tips, and while the sound was good I couldn’t find a good seal. Today I received the Final E tips, and they are definitely a step up in comfort. I also noticed that I had to lower the volume on my amp, probably a good seal helped with getting the correct sound.

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #19,689 of 23,668
What do you think u18s vs balmung? Not many people own or even heard Balmung actually.

Very different sounding sets, the U18s has a darker presentation in the trebles to my ears whereas the Balmung is more neutral. Additionally, the Balmung is an imaging champ. Not saying the U18s doesn’t image well, but I find the Balmung to be excellent in this regard. Both are relatively new purchases, the U18s being the more recent, so I’ll do a direct comparison later and further reply to your inquiry.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #19,690 of 23,668
I've got both U12T and Fourte. I prefer the U12T. But it could go either way.

Trio is my favorite from 64 Audio.
Why do you prefer U12t to Fourté?
Could you compare U12T, Fourté and Trió?
I´m deciding to buy u12t or Trió. :xf_cool:

Mar 21, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #19,691 of 23,668
My B-stock U12T made it here and I've been listening to it for a few hours now while working, really enjoying it so far! Also, I was able to find what was likely making it b-stock (what looked like a very small ding on the lip between the shell cover and the body itself) and it's barely noticeable thankfully, I only really noticed since I was looking for machining marks and that's what I saw at first glance.

I really like the way this IEM presents sound, it has flagship class detail while also somehow being easy to listen to at the same time, and the bass resolution and slam in general is super nice! Overall really happy with this purchase, I was also worried about the cable but the new stock cable 64 Audio is including with all their IEMs is actually not bad for me at all, I even like the memory wire since it helps keep the iems secure for me (I like the memory wire on my Andromeda though, too).

Mar 21, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #19,692 of 23,668
Why do you prefer U12t to Fourté?
Could you compare U12T, Fourté and Trió?
I´m deciding to buy u12t or Trió. :xf_cool:

My B-stock U12T made it here and I've been listening to it for a few hours now while working, really enjoying it so far! Also, I was able to find what was likely making it b-stock (what looked like a very small ding on the lip between the shell cover and the body itself) and it's barely noticeable thankfully, I only really noticed since I was looking for machining marks and that's what I saw at first glance.

I really like the way this IEM presents sound, it has flagship class detail while also somehow being easy to listen to at the same time, and the bass resolution and slam in general is super nice! Overall really happy with this purchase, I was also worried about the cable but the new stock cable 64 Audio is including with all their IEMs is actually not bad for me at all, I even like the memory wire since it helps keep the iems secure for me (I like the memory wire on my Andromeda though, too).
I never heard the Fourte, and had only a brief afternoon with the U12t. What sold me on Trio was the extension and impact of the dynamic driver as well as the treble. Trio hits harder in the bass than the U12t to my ears and I found that addicting. So I guess that's one place where my perception or priorities (or both) differ from @DeniPhantom. I also really like the treble from the Trio, I don't find it "hot", "aggressive" or "bright" at all. I've come to believe that may be my middle-age ears comparing sound with Head-fi members with younger ears than me. Maybe, maybe not. As for sound stage and imaging, I don't notice that aspect of the presentation much with head phones, so I won't comment about that with regard to U12t or Trio.

Trio is a wonderful IEM for me. I use it as an all-arounder; listening to rock, acoustic and electric jazz, classical, some country and maybe some other stuff. Not much rap, EDM, metal or electronica in my house, though.

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #19,694 of 23,668
Very different sounding sets, the U18s has a darker presentation in the trebles to my ears whereas the Balmung is more neutral. Additionally, the Balmung is an imaging champ. Not saying the U18s doesn’t image well, but I find the Balmung to be excellent in this regard. Both are relatively new purchases, the U18s being the more recent, so I’ll do a direct comparison later and further reply to your inquiry.

I just spent the last 40 minutes comparing the U18s to the Balmung, so here is a summary of what I heard. First, a picture:

80AE3567-3B6A-4521-838B-656A85F9FCBE.jpeg

My source is the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Ti. No eq was used in my listening. The album I used for my demo was Bahramji’s Sufi Safir and the song was “My Life.” This is a popular album in my yoga community and is known for its bass drive. Additionally, I used my PWA Attila cable with both sets.

Starting off with the bass performance, the Balmung has more mid-bass presence compared to the U18s (Apex M15) which is more neutral in comparison although it digs out a bit more sub-bass than the Balmung. The mids/upper-mids on the Balmung are more forward sounding as if you were sitting close to the front of the stage while the U18s comes across as if you were sitting in the back half of the seating. Lower-trebles/trebles are sharper sounding due to their forward nature on the Balmung but not overbearing at all to my ears. The U18s is more relaxed, some might even say darker sounding in comparison.

Soundstage on the Balmung is wide but due to the forwardness of the mids, depth is more towards the back half of one’s head while the more relaxed presentation of the U18s is focused more in the front half of the head while the width of the stage is about equal between the two sets, extending just outside of one’s ears. Height is pretty close between the two. As we come to imaging, the Balmung has the ability to focus this aspect within its stage more to my liking although the U18s appears to have more micro-detail retrieval, so soft tinkling sounds come through adding to the U18s’ immersion. Dynamics favor the Balmung, especially macro dynamics.

So, as I mentioned earlier today, two very different sounding sets, both of which I enjoy although the type of music I’m listening to will determine which set I would favor for that recording. For instance, if I’m listening to metal or rock, I’ll typically choose the Balmung whereas if I’m listening to jazz or classical, I’ll likely grab the U18s.

@TheMiddleSky, I hope this gives you a good idea on the relative strengths to both designs. ✌️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back