The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 22, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #19,696 of 23,720
Who can tell me the sound difference between the U12T and U18T ?
Is it worth the upgrade ... 🤔
The U18t/s certainly aren’t an upgrade to the U12t which is by far the most competent monitor in 64 Audio’s product line.

Mar 22, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #19,698 of 23,720

U12T is warmer and fuller sounding while U18T is leaner and brighter.
Both totally different sound signature, so I'd say more of a complementary than an upgrade.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #19,702 of 23,720
Why do you prefer U12t to Fourté?
Could you compare U12T, Fourté and Trió?
I´m deciding to buy u12t or Trió. :xf_cool:

Well, besides what @macdonjh and others have said, in a nutshell, U12t is more reference, Trio is more fun. It's been said U12t has one of the best all BA bass sounds around. The Trio has a dynamic driver. That may influence your decision.

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #19,704 of 23,720
U/A12t vote from me, one of the cleanest, most balanced sounding monitors on the market. The Trio is more "traditionally" fun with more bass, upper mids and lower treble, but I personally find that tuning a little too mainstream/boring - I enjoy the separation that the 12t delivers much more.

As to DAPs, Lotoo all the way - currently mostly on the LPGT Ti

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #19,705 of 23,720
U/A12t vote from me, one of the cleanest, most balanced sounding monitors on the market. The Trio is more "traditionally" fun with more bass, upper mids and lower treble, but I personally find that tuning a little too mainstream/boring - I enjoy the separation that the 12t delivers much more.

As to DAPs, Lotoo all the way - currently mostly on the LPGT Ti
Never owned one yet
But looking at the Lotoo PAW6000
Now I own a A&K Kann Alpha so no clue if changing would be actually a step forward or sideways ... ?

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #19,706 of 23,720
Never owned one yet
But looking at the Lotoo PAW6000
Now I own a A&K Kann Alpha so no clue if changing would be actually a step forward or sideways ... ?
Owned the Alpha but found it too bright with most of my IEMs personally - the PAW is more neutral, a little warmer, with much better dynamics and more pronounced upper treble. I'd go with the Alpha if you're after especially transparent sounding DAPs, otherwise I'd take the 6000 any day

Mar 22, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #19,707 of 23,720
Owned the Alpha but found it too bright with most of my IEMs personally - the PAW is more neutral, a little warmer, with much better dynamics and more pronounced upper treble. I'd go with the Alpha if you're after especially transparent sounding DAPs, otherwise I'd take the 6000 any day
So I might be going PAW6000
Anyway let's see what synergy we get with the U12T when they arrive ...

Mar 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #19,708 of 23,720
I just spent the last 40 minutes comparing the U18s to the Balmung, so here is a summary of what I heard. First, a picture:

My source is the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Ti. No eq was used in my listening. The album I used for my demo was Bahramji’s Sufi Safir and the song was “My Life.” This is a popular album in my yoga community and is known for its bass drive. Additionally, I used my PWA Attila cable with both sets.

Starting off with the bass performance, the Balmung has more mid-bass presence compared to the U18s (Apex M15) which is more neutral in comparison although it digs out a bit more sub-bass than the Balmung. The mids/upper-mids on the Balmung are more forward sounding as if you were sitting close to the front of the stage while the U18s comes across as if you were sitting in the back half of the seating. Lower-trebles/trebles are sharper sounding due to their forward nature on the Balmung but not overbearing at all to my ears. The U18s is more relaxed, some might even say darker sounding in comparison.

Soundstage on the Balmung is wide but due to the forwardness of the mids, depth is more towards the back half of one’s head while the more relaxed presentation of the U18s is focused more in the front half of the head while the width of the stage is about equal between the two sets, extending just outside of one’s ears. Height is pretty close between the two. As we come to imaging, the Balmung has the ability to focus this aspect within its stage more to my liking although the U18s appears to have more micro-detail retrieval, so soft tinkling sounds come through adding to the U18s’ immersion. Dynamics favor the Balmung, especially macro dynamics.

So, as I mentioned earlier today, two very different sounding sets, both of which I enjoy although the type of music I’m listening to will determine which set I would favor for that recording. For instance, if I’m listening to metal or rock, I’ll typically choose the Balmung whereas if I’m listening to jazz or classical, I’ll likely grab the U18s.

@TheMiddleSky, I hope this gives you a good idea on the relative strengths to both designs. ✌️

Thankss a lot for the detail impression.

Actually I heard Balmung for couple of times, but only for short time. A bit confusing, I'd say Balmung is closer to neutral, as opposed to U18S that produce sweeter nuances. At the same time, Balmung is thick and (very) full body of sound as well.

U18S produce one of the best bass texture in today's IEM market, agree it's the winner when compare to bass section of Balmung.

U18T is more neutral, drier, brighter, with faster decay. For more linear upgrade from U12T, should go to U18S.

Based on you iem in your signature, I think Trio should be the better one. Trio is punchier, more energetic and project airier soundstage compared to the "very balance" U12T.

Mar 22, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #19,709 of 23,720

Actually I heard Balmung for couple of times, but only for short time. A bit confusing, I'd say Balmung is closer to neutral, as opposed to U18S that produce sweeter nuances. At the same time, Balmung is thick and (very) full body of sound as well.

U18S produce one of the best bass texture in today's IEM market, agree it's the winner when compare to bass section of Balmung.

U18T is more neutral, drier, brighter, with faster decay. For more linear upgrade from U12T, should go to U18S.

Based on you iem in your signature, I think Trio should be the better one. Trio is punchier, more energetic and project airier soundstage compared to the "very balance" U12T.
Agree- I also have the u12t as well as the u18s and the u18s has the upper hand when it comes to texture/decay- I love it. It's also got incredible separation and imaging. I find the vocals a little less forwards, but the imaging is just diffused in a larger soundstage so it's easy to pick out different instruments/layering. I find the U18s the "linear" upgrade to the U12t as well, but can't seem to part with either at the moment.

Mar 22, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #19,710 of 23,720

I’m happy you found what I wrote helpful. Since we do all have different sensitivities, my thoughts should be construed as simply one person’s view, not necessarily a universal truth. That’s what makes this hobby of ours so interesting and frustrating at times. ✌️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back