The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 6, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #16,232 of 23,651
When I say, spectral plot will reveal much more, an example is Nio with MX module, vs. M15 module.
Here is MX:
1615032409658.png
Here is M15:
1615032363382.png

The FR line is the first line (top most line), MX and M15's FR lines are not too different.
But the spectral energy, spectral decay are very different. MX has longer decay and energy for high freq.

WoW this is so awesome so detailed I would love to see all iems to be accompanied with this chart so we truly can understand the nature and sound !

Wonder if you have fourte og and noir available graphs.

And what instrument did allow you get this graph?

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #16,233 of 23,651
WoW this is so awesome so detailed I would love to see all iems to be accompanied with this chart so we truly can understand the nature and sound !

Wonder if you have fourte og and noir available graphs.

I think the chart looks cool, but I have to be totally candid - I have no clue how to interpret it! :rolling_eyes:

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #16,234 of 23,651
I think the chart looks cool, but I have to be totally candid - I have no clue how to interpret it! :rolling_eyes:

Hehe yea it is a bit tricky. The part I dont understand is the width... From buttom to top on the flat mesure the one called ms

The rest seems comprehensible. I do see the middle in most iems more empty and the iems that have more bass seems fuller there...

And the treble has interesting everest mountain peaks lol those scares me 😝

I also think this graph could potentially help us play with eq to a masterfull tuning possibilities cause we can mesure the change and see if we lost details or other aspects like is it less treble

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #16,235 of 23,651
From what I can see, the X-axis and Y-axis are frequency and amplitude respectively, like your traditional FR graph. The Z-axis is time-domain. In this case, it represents the milliseconds that follow the transient attack of a note; that is decay. What I believe is being referenced by @yfei is at around 17kHz; the Nio's peak for air. Not only is the amplitude increased with the MX module, but the Z-axis reaches out to almost 0.8 ms with the MX module versus about 0.5 ms using the M15 module.

What this might suggest - and by no means conclude - is that the changes perceived by the MX module are not necessarily just the product of psychoacoustics (eg. the perception that comes from having less bass). You might hear more treble air with the MX because, well, there's actually more. You might also hear more zing because decay is elongated.

Ultimately, this is just speculation and these types of measurements shouldn't be considered entirely accurate. 1) Most couplers are only certified up until 10kHz, 2) the MX graph appears to show significantly more bass than is present in other measurements (and relative to what I hear anecdotally), and 3) this is all assuming you can even hear the 17kHz peak in the first place, as the measurements are much more similar preceding that point.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #16,236 of 23,651

The measuring instrument, both hardware and software, are the same as the ones used to generate FR line plot. Just need few more clicks on the software GUI to generate Spectra graph.

If previously have saved measurement data when generating FR plot, then can use the software load the data, and generate spectra graph, doesn't need to re-measure. So, reviewers who have measured large collections of IEMs (like crinacle, headphonics, headfonia, twister6) probably have saved raw measurement data. From that data, can generate spectra graph.

I only have few IEMs purchased for personal use only, and I am not expert in interpret spectra graph.

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #16,237 of 23,651
Just need few more clicks on the software GUI to generate Spectra graph.

1. click these to zoom in the Impulse response
1615087706880.png
=》
1615087737996.png

2. click on the Impulse response curve to select Time starting position
1615087810250.png

3. click on 'CS' icon to generate spectra graph:
1615087861717.png

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #16,238 of 23,651
Has anyone experience with exposing a U12t/A12t regulary to rain and sweat? I'm thinking about getting one but i want to use it also for sports. I had no problems with changing the cable regulary but it shouldn't get into the connectors. Or is is better to make a custom of a entry level model for sports?

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #16,239 of 23,651
Has anyone experience with exposing a U12t/A12t regulary to rain and sweat? I'm thinking about getting one but i want to use it also for sports. I had no problems with changing the cable regulary but it shouldn't get into the connectors. Or is is better to make a custom of a entry level model for sports?

I would use a less expensive IEM for sports personally.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #16,240 of 23,651
Mar 7, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #16,241 of 23,651
Bought two 64 Audio aluminum cases. Empire Ears changed theirs first and JH Audio did it before both. This shows that manufacturers are finding them better and I agree. The threads on the 64 Audio case are shallow vs the the Empire Ears case. The JH audio case is almost as shallow, but easier to match up the threads.

Do yourself a favor and pick up the aluminum case if you have the plastic 3D printed case.

BC27D659-946B-406A-917D-ACDBFB69700B.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #16,242 of 23,651
Bought two 64 Audio aluminum cases. Empire Ears changed theirs first and JH Audio did it before both. This shows that manufacturers are finding them better and I agree. The threads on the 64 Audio case are shallow vs the the Empire Ears case. The JH audio case is almost as shallow, but easier to match up the threads.

Do yourself a favor and pick up the aluminum case if you have the plastic 3D printed case.

BC27D659-946B-406A-917D-ACDBFB69700B.jpeg
I actually like their pelican type cases better. I can only speak for the EE one though. But I do love the Lola’s metal case tho.

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #16,243 of 23,651
I actually like their pelican type cases better. I can only speak for the EE one though. But I do love the Lola’s metal case tho.

I do too, but the round case is more compact.

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #16,244 of 23,651
Haha, just joined this thread couple of days ago to read up on my new acquisition, Noir. Good timing post!

I guess zing can be had but I hate it when it sounds like they are using 009s on expensive guitars, lol.

I like Oshio's earlier works too, "Dramatic" and "Starting Point." Among Japanese guitarists, I tend to prefer Masaaki Kishibe, Isato Nakagawa, Michio Ogawa, and more recently Satoshi Gogo. These guys seem more musical to me.
I just had the opportunity to demo the Vision Ears Elysium over the weekend and track after track I found myself stunned at the clarity, air, transparency and sense of realism the IEM offered (and I've not felt that way for many years apart from demoing speakers). With guitar tracks it really sounds as if the instrument is being played right in front of you. The body, shimmer, and crackle of hi-hats/cymbals on drums on my jazz tracks were wonderfully full, real and live-sounding. Makes the A18s sound artificial, muddy and veiled by comparison.

Give them a shot!

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #16,245 of 23,651
I just had the opportunity to demo the Vision Ears Elysium over the weekend and track after track I found myself stunned at the clarity, air, transparency and sense of realism the IEM offered (and I've not felt that way for many years apart from demoing speakers). With guitar tracks it really sounds as if the instrument is being played right in front of you. The body, shimmer, and crackle of hi-hats/cymbals on drums on my jazz tracks were wonderfully full, real and live-sounding. Makes the A18s sound artificial, muddy and veiled by comparison.

Give them a shot!

Thanks, I will have to try Elysium at some point :)

I'm now a week into Noir, my first ever 64 audio. Very unique IEM! For acoustic guitar tracks, I'm shocked how much woodiness comes through. Very strong fundamentals. Relatively tame harmonics but it comes back up at specific frequencies at top end. With the stock cable, it might be too much of a good such that the guitar strings sounds 3 months old :sweat_smile: With classical guitar, it sounds great to me. I think I want slightly less mid-bass (200-300Hz) and little more high mids (4-6kHz). Maybe some cable rolling can equalize this.

Any experience out there on cable choice to bring neutrality to Noir? Among my source (Shanling M8, iBasso DX228, Yggy-GSX Mk2), I'm preferring the more neutral pairing with DX228 and desktop.

dsc7194.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back