The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 8, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #16,246 of 23,651
Any experience out there on cable choice to bring neutrality to Noir?
I also enjoy a little less mid-bass thickness. I enjoy the rest of the mids and treble; it can get quite "exciting" but does not cross over into sibilance or fatigue like I found with some other IEMs such as the OG.

Cable wise, I am enjoying the glorious Graphene SPC cable by @doctorjuggles - has a way of keeping them midbass well controlled while allowing the upper frequencies to shine whilst remaining liquid and smooth.

The one other pairing I would like to try, which from what I have read should match the Noir very nicely, is a cable with Palladium in it - something like a silver plated or gold plated palladium. There are a few cable marques that make such cables in the market.

PS. I would say the cables help tame some of the Noir's wild side but they won't make it "neutral". It is inherently not a neutral IEM (one of the reasons I love them).

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #16,247 of 23,651
I also enjoy a little less mid-bass thickness. I enjoy the rest of the mids and treble; it can get quite "exciting" but does not cross over into sibilance or fatigue like I found with some other IEMs such as the OG.

Cable wise, I am enjoying the glorious Graphene SPC cable by @doctorjuggles - has a way of keeping them midbass well controlled while allowing the upper frequencies to shine whilst remaining liquid and smooth.

The one other pairing I would like to try, which from what I have read should match the Noir very nicely, is a cable with Palladium in it - something like a silver plated or gold plated palladium. There are a few cable marques that make such cables in the market.

PS. I would say the cables help tame some of the Noir's wild side but they won't make it "neutral". It is inherently not a neutral IEM (one of the reasons I love them).

Thanks, I'll look them up! Yeah, the treble seems tricky. My very first impression was a very strong treble. There seem to be some peaks that trigger with certain music, yet missing on some other music. It's definitely not uniformly sibilant nor dark, maybe that is the "right" balance. :)

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #16,249 of 23,651
Spectrum plot (Cumulative Spectral Decay plot) can reveal much more than Frequency Response. From plot, you can see that from 100Hz to 5KHz EXK's decay is really fast and really uniform, that's why it's sound is 'special'. And EXK's high peak and long decay time at 6k Hz and 9k Hz maybe it's infamous 'sibilant' issue.

Frequency Response curve equal to Cumulative Spectral Decay plot's top-most line (the line at time t=0).
I think the HiFi community should abandon the tradition of using FR curve, because FR curve is pretty useless, it doesn't have real meaningful relation with the ear's perceived sound.
It's like 'Blind Men and the Elephant' analogy, Frequency Response plot is like only touching the back ridge of the elephant. Cumulative Spectral Decay is a full 3D scan of the elephant. HiFi community shall start using spectral plot as official language.

SONY EXK:
1615031161661.png
64 Audio Nio (with MX):
1615031220857.png
u12t:
1615031287324.png
Thanks for the waterfalls. It explains why I consistently preferred my EX1000 over my U12T, so long as I tamed the nasty treble spike on the Sony.

They really were on another level for their time back in 2010.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 10, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #16,251 of 23,651
My take on the Nio…

Not for me. Very disappointed. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I unfortunately have to agree with your take here. I tried every tip and cable option I have on hand and was just left with a somewhat muddy signature to my ears. I think the somewhat dirty albeit impactful bass adds to this. With the mx module, I just feel there are better options that can be had a lower price point. Definitely love the look of them however.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #16,252 of 23,651
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #16,253 of 23,651
I unfortunately have to agree with your take here. I tried every tip and cable option I have on hand and was just left with a somewhat muddy signature to my ears. I think the somewhat dirty albeit impactful bass adds to this. With the mx module, I just feel there are better options that can be had a lower price point. Definitely love the look of them however.

Don't limit yourself only to apex modules, fir audio atom modules fill in the gap between MX and M15/20. I covered it here in sound description.

64audio-nio-37.jpg

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #16,254 of 23,651
Don't limit yourself only to apex modules, fir audio atom modules fill in the gap between MX and M15/20. I covered it here in sound description.

64audio-nio-37.jpg
I really didn't know about Atom Modules and this helps alot. Thank You.

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #16,255 of 23,651
I really didn't know about Atom Modules and this helps alot. Thank You.
I'll second Twister's comments. I got the Fir 0 module on the secondary market and I love it! It does a good job keeping enough bass to satisfy without adding muddiness. Highly recommend checking them out!

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #16,258 of 23,651
Yes, need special hardware and software.
Here is a good article: https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/10/how-to-measure-iems/

I used Occluded-ear simulator coupler + USB sound card combo bought from taobao, and ARTA software running on Windows PC.

Thank you. I also tried to use Mindsp iEars but it was not easy to use as mentioned in the article. might be I follow the same way to use Occluded-ear later. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back