The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 21, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #1,381 of 23,533
A big thank you to Dan from Offslip who got for me a demo unit of the U18 Tzar!
Dan is a great guy and he really went all in to help me out in such a short time.. if you're based in UK I can wholeheartedly suggest you contact him for any 64Audio related matter.

Thnx to Dan, yesterday I spent 30+ minutes auditioning the U18t out of my SP1000Cu (+ EA Lionheart).
The U18t are the closest thing to what I would consider my ideal isolating IEM: extremely wide soundstage (with the supplied SPC cable, while the Lionheart extends this even further!) with a very smooth and balanced coherent signature. I couldn't believe I was listening to 18 drivers per ear, everything works so well together ..as one, impeccable tuning.
Tia is pure magic, the treble region is magnificently crisp and airy.
The only department I found "lacking" was the sub-bass, although mid-bass quantity and impact is there (and it is really textured and detailed).. it just doesn't extend that low (inherent problem of using BA drivers I suppose..?), to me, there is no "real rumble".
I should really check the Fourté before ordering the U18t.

btw, the U18t are really gorgeous looking IEMs, on the pictures they look ok, in person they are stunning!
..and soo much smaller than what you think an IEM with 18 drivers should look like!

If you want more sub-bass rumble, try it with PWA No 5 cable (for example/reference, similar pure copper EA Ares II has less rumble). Also, from your description it almost sounds like you tried it with M15 apex module. You will beef up low end with M20, plus will improve the isolation, though the treble extension will be a little less airy. And indeed, the coherency of 18-driver tuning is very impressive here.

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #1,382 of 23,533
Oct 21, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #1,383 of 23,533
A big thank you to Dan from Offslip who got for me a demo unit of the U18 Tzar!
Dan is a great guy and he really went all in to help me out in such a short time.. if you're based in UK I can wholeheartedly suggest you contact him for any 64Audio related matter.

Thnx to Dan, yesterday I spent 30+ minutes auditioning the U18t out of my SP1000Cu (+ EA Lionheart).
The U18t are the closest thing to what I would consider my ideal isolating IEM: extremely wide soundstage (with the supplied SPC cable, while the Lionheart extends this even further!) with a very smooth and balanced coherent signature. I couldn't believe I was listening to 18 drivers per ear, everything works so well together ..as one, impeccable tuning.
Tia is pure magic, the treble region is magnificently crisp and airy.
The only department I found "lacking" was the sub-bass, although mid-bass quantity and impact is there (and it is really textured and detailed).. it just doesn't extend that low (inherent problem of using BA drivers I suppose..?), to me, there is no "real rumble".
I should really check the Fourté before ordering the U18t.

btw, the U18t are really gorgeous looking IEMs, on the pictures they look ok, in person they are stunning!
..and soo much smaller than what you think an IEM with 18 drivers should look like!
Thanks for sharing that! Gisele lists 64 on her website, but she does not have any demo units. Will be interesting to check with Offslip at some point!

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #1,384 of 23,533
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #1,385 of 23,533
If you want more sub-bass rumble, try it with PWA No 5 cable (for example/reference, similar pure copper EA Ares II has less rumble). Also, from your description it almost sounds like you tried it with M15 apex module. You will beef up low end with M20, plus will improve the isolation, though the treble extension will be a little less airy. And indeed, the coherency of 18-driver tuning is very impressive here.
I was quite sure I was listening with the M20 module, but I might also be wrong..
Maybe I did not achieve an ideal seal, or maybe it was something else.. but surely 30 minutes of auditioning cannot form my final opinion.

The first opinion is extremely good.. just not ideal (nothing is.. right? :) )
Don’t get me wrong, the U18t is by far the best IEM I’ve heard so far. I was searching for the weakest point (you have to for 3k+ $) and IMHO it is the sub-bas region. Although it easily outperforms other multi-BA driver IEMs I heard .. other technologies can and do go deeper (Even in 64Audio lineup.. Fourté).

PWA No 5 cable, saved it for later, thnx. :ksc75smile:

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #1,386 of 23,533
Fingers crossed for an upgrade program for U/A12 owners to U12t... come on! :ksc75smile:

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #1,387 of 23,533
Anyone know if the signature of the U12t is similar to the U12? As in it's an evolution/improvement on the U12, instead of just an entirely different 12-driver IEM?

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #1,388 of 23,533
Anyone know if the signature of the U12t is similar to the U12? As in it's an evolution/improvement on the U12, instead of just an entirely different 12-driver IEM?

No idea. No one has heard it yet. But I am hoping for a very similar profile, with just a little something special in the tia high.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #1,389 of 23,533
No idea. No one has heard it yet. But I am hoping for a very similar profile, with just a little something special in the tia high.
Those that heard the Proto X did, no? And I'm hoping for the same, and if it turns out that way, I'd buy it on the spot :ksc75smile:

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #1,390 of 23,533
Yeah U12 with a tiny bit more treble presence would just about hit it out of the park for me.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #1,391 of 23,533
Those that heard the Proto X did, no? And I'm hoping for the same, and if it turns out that way, I'd buy it on the spot :ksc75smile:

Oh... I guess you've got me there. :D

Oct 23, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #1,392 of 23,533
@PinkyPowers
So sorry I didn't grab the U12 when you sold it (obviously you are somewhat sorry you sold it).
Cash flow problems, the bane of audiophilia!

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #1,393 of 23,533
Oct 25, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #1,394 of 23,533
I’ve been auditioning the U12/U18 and boy oh boy the U18 is magnificent but 3k magnificent???? Not so sure when compared to Focal Utopia. It takes a little bit of craziness/insanity to purchase something so delicate at this price range. That’s a gut puncher right there... like some of you, no matter how they sound I’m struggling to justify the high cost. I don’t even want to try the Tia Fourte... I’m sure they sound AMAZING!

Thinking about selling my Utopia’s but I doubt I can. Though the U18 look nice the touch and finish on the Utopia’s aren’t matched by the U18.. ummm maybe sale my Sennhesier HD800S to help cover some of the difference since I use them less after purchasing my Utopia. One thing I’ve learned is to stay away from head-fi for a while, my bank account reflects the increased savings lol...

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #1,395 of 23,533

I listened to the X and the U8 and U12 back to back 3 times over the show. Obviously I liked the Y a lot more than all 3.

Here is what I heard, of course you might be totally different.

I honest to god, as I have said before, could not tell a different between the U8 and the U12 other than the bass. The 8 had more bass, the 12 was more balanced. But I actually preferred the 8.

The X I could definitely tell apart from the U12 and the U8. I actually thought the X was going to be a new 8. The X had the bass of the 8 but was a bit more flowing and smooth, balanced, than the 12. IE it had the 8 bass but it wasnt noticable that hey this has heavy bass. It was more like it should be there. Hard to explain.

For example the Fourte the bass just flows in and out with the vocals, sooo smooth. The X was not where near that quality, or near the Y, but it did that better to my ears than the 8 or 12.

My two cents for what its worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back