The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 26, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #1,411 of 23,562
I'm in pure bliss with the A18 and Hugo2, the depth and height of the stage combined with the width of the A18 is unbelievable. The resolution is unbelievable. I'm constantly hearing things I've never heard. The timbre is eerily realistic and lifelike, songs SOUND different because of it. The bass is authoritative and deep wiith great extension and hits just like I prefer. The image solidity and segregation in stage is spectacular with lots of space between the images. Images are allowed to extend and dissolve to the lowest registers of audibility. The hi ghs are smooth and incredibly detailed. It brings the slightly set back A18 vocals to the forefront just the right amount. Pure bliss.

More to come in a formal H2 review.

Mad respect for your grind sir. Highly suggest you consider A18 over U18 if you can tolerate the resale hit.

Agreed!!! ..... The A18 and Hugo2 are a match made in heaven. Took it up another notch - check out this ride HUGO2(DAC) > Eddie Current Zana Duex (AMP) > A18:

upload_2017-10-26_12-30-18.png

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #1,413 of 23,562
Who does this fit?

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #1,415 of 23,562
I'm in pure bliss with the A18 and Hugo2, the depth and height of the stage combined with the width of the A18 is unbelievable. The resolution is unbelievable. I'm constantly hearing things I've never heard. The timbre is eerily realistic and lifelike, songs SOUND different because of it. The bass is authoritative and deep wiith great extension and hits just like I prefer. The image solidity and segregation in stage is spectacular with lots of space between the images. Images are allowed to extend and dissolve to the lowest registers of audibility. The hi ghs are smooth and incredibly detailed. It brings the slightly set back A18 vocals to the forefront just the right amount. Pure bliss.

More to come in a formal H2 review.

Mad respect for your grind sir. Highly suggest you consider A18 over U18 if you can tolerate the resale hit.

While I love the Hugo 2, I cant imagine spending the money for it just to listen to IEM. If I already had one or had one for another reason then sure why not. Never heard an IEM via one so yeah it might be awesome. Just not so practical. But then again why not if you already spent 3k on the IEMs.

Its odd how I can spend tons of money on one toy/hobby but if I think of something else my head complains. Not sure how that logic works in my head :wink:

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #1,416 of 23,562
While I love the Hugo 2, I cant imagine spending the money for it just to listen to IEM. If I already had one or had one for another reason then sure why not. Never heard an IEM via one so yeah it might be awesome. Just not so practical. But then again why not if you already spent 3k on the IEMs.

Its odd how I can spend tons of money on one toy/hobby but if I think of something else my head complains. Not sure how that logic works in my head :wink:

Agreeeeed! Man people have lots of disposable income, me on the other hand will flip a few things to make it work.

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #1,419 of 23,562

I sold a bunch of gear for H2; A12, Mojo, CDM. Unfortunately the H2 demo tour ruined me, after hearing it I had to have one, everything else was left in the dust. The only thing I really want to hear now is Wa8, not really interested in hearing things I can't buy like desktop setups ATM because in this hobby once you hear it...you know what you're missing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #1,421 of 23,562
64Audio is using 3D fit now. So i think you won't have any problem about the fit. My old A12 and right now A18 have no problem with that.

I also like how 64 fattens the canal due to the single bore, basically ensures a good seal. I would imagine the amount of refits due to seal issues is way down. Love the single bore for cleaning and that tight fit, perfect.

Has anyone paired the A18 with the Wa8?

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #1,422 of 23,562
I sold a bunch of gear for H2; A12, Mojo, CDM. Unfortunately the H2 demo tour ruined me, after hearing it I had to have one, everything else was left in the dust. The only thing I really want to hear now is Wa8, not really interested in hearing things I can't buy like desktop setups ATM because in this hobby once you hear it...you know what you're missing.

Agreed... Makes sense to me to sell most of my gear and then some for what I consider my final phase in this high ticket price hobby. A18/SP1000(if I can sell AK380cu for 2200)/Utopia/iFiDSD BL/Chord Hugo 2/WA8(review). So in order for this to work I need to make some where around 6k with a potential to make a little more.

1100 sennhesier HDVD800
1100 sennhesier HD800S (sold)
1700 SNES
2500 AK380cu
=6400

Let’s go!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #1,423 of 23,562
Agreed... Makes sense to me to sell most of my gear and then some for what I consider my final phase in this high ticket price hobby. A18/SP1000(if I can sell AK380cu for 2200)/Utopia/iFiDSD BL/Chord Hugo 2/WA8(review). So in order for this to work I need to make some where around 5800 with a potential to make a little more.

1100 sennhesier HDVD800
1100 sennhesier HD800S (sold)
1700 SNES
2200 AK380cu
=6100

Let’s go!

I like Utopia a lot but found it a bit bass light. My take on Focal atm is to give them more time. They had an incredible first set of offerings as they moved into the headphone field, I think in a few years we'll see Focal's that exceed Utopia with more bass, when that happens I'm onboard. Also, I've heard Ak380, I understand SP1000 is pretty much an upgrade in all areas but I find it hard to see how such a small device could ever match H2 or Wa8. I just don't see how it can happen in that small of a form factor, I may be wrong. I hope to get my hands on an SP1000 for review in the future.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #1,424 of 23,562
I like Utopia a lot but found it a bit bass light. My take on Focal atm is to give them more time. They had an incredible first set of offerings as they moved into the headphone field, I think in a few years we'll see Focal's that exceed Utopia with more bass, when that happens I'm onboard. Also, I've heard Ak380, I understand SP1000 is pretty much an upgrade in all areas but I find it hard to see how such a small device could ever match H2 or Wa8. I just don't see how it can happen in that small of a form factor, I may be wrong. I hope to get my hands on an SP1000 for review in the future.

I noticed something changed with my Utopia after letting them burn in. I didn’t believe in burn in but I said what the heck give it a try, what do I have to lose... so during the time I wasn’t able to sit down and use them (work) I played music through my entire shift (12hrs) for two weeks.. I can “feel” more base now and the mids/highs is even more butter. I’m not using words like astronomical, huge, out of this world.. ugh.. but there’s a noticeable difference.

The SP1000 strictly for mobile use or while in the bed and WA8 will be my desktop rig. Honestly, people be over exaggerating for whatever reason but I’m sure the SP1000 isn’t a huge/astronomical jump from the AK380cu but rather a different sound signature.

I see some chasing for a different sound signature for a DAP and then another sound signature for a IEM/headphones without even considering synergy between the two which keeps you “chasing/spending money”

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #1,425 of 23,562

yeah thats the hard part is selling my old "toys" to buy new ones. I get attached and just want to file it away vs sale it. I was just having that conversation with myself this morning that I need to go through some old stuff and start a for sale pile. Just gotta learn to let them go... hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back